Author Topic: Hello from Norway!  (Read 15964 times)

Arch

• View Profile
Hello from Norway!
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
Hi people!

My name is Håkon, I'm 36 and I live in Oslo, Norway. I've been into arcade machines for a couple of years now, and I have a very modest but slowly growing collection. I have one dedicated Namco Rally-X, one universal Compu-Game Luxus I, one Flexigame/Model Racing Mini Cabinet and one BAS that has been MAME'd.

I have mostly been hanging out at jammaplus.co.uk, but recently I have been lurking about here a bit as well. The main reason for this is that I am about to get my hands on a Zaccaria Star Splash cab, and there seems to be a lot of Zacc love going on here.  :)

I quite like the restoration aspect of this hobby. I am a novice on most of the hands on-work, but I enjoy it even so. Where I feel most confident, however, is with the artwork restoration. I'm a graphic designer by profession, so I've put a lot of effort in getting the repro graphics right. Here is the gem in my collection. This cab was a total wreck when I got it, but now it looks rather flashy if I might say so myself:

I look forward to hanging with you guys and to share some love for the euro cabs!

Cheers,
Håkon/Arch
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Norway!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
Hi Arch and welcome here. :D
A very nice Starsplash just went for 1 eur on ebay from an american military base in Germany. :-\
https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=2144.765
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:34:53 PM by Belike »

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »
Hi and welcome! :)

That's a very nice cab with amazing artwork. So you designed the graphics for the marquee and the controlpanel? Or did I get you wrong?

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Luigi: No, the marquee is original and the control panel looks as it did when the cab came out of the factory in Denmark sometime between 1982 and 1985. No design on my part. What I had was two original cp's that were both badly torn and burnt by cigarettes, but luckily they overlapped so that I managed to puzzle it together into a whole image. I then went on to vectorize it and had it printed on gameongraphix. Much like the process described by Etienne here on the forum, although my skills doesn't even come close to his. He is a master!  :o

Belike: Ai, 1 euro! Damn! I must say I that for a universal cab, I think the Starsplash is close to perfect. I love the graphics on it, and the shape is strangely enough the same as my Compu-Game. They will look good together! It is a long way to go before it is restored though. Will keep you posted.  :wink:

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
Hi and welcome here!
Yep, thats a Danish produced cab you got there, and like the game thats in it!!! RI rewls, though its the thoug version you got there!
Nice to see some people from my region (yes, Denmark and Norway was once under the same king)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »
(yes, Denmark and Norway was once under the same king)

Yes, it was a Vi-king !!!! 

oooohahahahaha.....sorry guys it's my usual end of the week mood.....

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
Good to see you over here, Arch!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »
Welcome here !

I love the marquee, it reminds me of the car that was in a television program from my youth  ;D

Thanks for the compliment, but i dont concider myself as a master  :oops:

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »
Thanks again guys!

Mastaaah Etienne: hehe, I see the similarity. :)
Level42: lol, unless he was of Japanese origin. Then he would surely be a wii-king... ok, I'll get my coat.  :oops:
Ataritoobin: nice to see you too mate! :)
Muerto: wow, compared to where the rest of the guys who are into woodies are located, we are practically neighbours! Judging from your signature you have quite the collection. Where in Denmark are you, btw? :)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »
My house and The Shed is located on the island Fyn...

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 06:29:43 AM »
Welcome to DLF/ALS, Arch  :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 08:11:57 AM »
hi arch, welcome to the greatest arcade forum around. another guy from norway has joined our cozy place, would be interesting to have some kind of user map with locations on it!

btw, i'd love to see some pics of your rally-x!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
Hi Arch and welcome!!! Enjoy this awesome forum  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
...., would be interesting to have some kind of user map with locations on it!

Great Idea !

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
Thanks again! Happy to be here! :)
Superully: Are there any more Norwegians in here?  :shock:
About the requested photos of the Rally-X: It is not mint, to say the least, so it will have to undergo a bit of restoration work. Here are some photos of how it looked when I first got it.

Since these photos were taken, I've recapped it and given the cp/screen overlay a good clean with the Novus kit. I've sourced some t-molding which is exactly the same colour and a new button. But, as you can tell, there is a lot of hard work and elbow grease left. As such, this is my spring project. After it's restored, I might sell it off to clear space for something else. Space is my biggest problem really, as I live in a small flat with gf and two kids.

The side art is in a pretty bad state, so I have been working on that as well. I spent quite a bit of time on the net looking for vector files and such, but to no avail. The Namco version is nowhere to be found. What I finally managed to come up with was a decent picture of the Midway version. The Midway side art is quite a heavily touched up version of the Namco one, where all the spots where it says Namco erased and replaced by cruder brush strokes, smiling mouths in the headlights, erasing and overcoating. Of course I couldn't live with the poorer Midway version, so I went to work. So, here is the Namco art as it once was, ready for the printers.

Top left: my cab with original messed up artwork. Bottom left: the Midway version. Right: my new version. Se if you can spot all the differences!  :wink: