Author Topic: Who has had his eyes lasered ?  (Read 6465 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Who has had his eyes lasered ?
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
Anyone ?

I am considering it. Three of my colleagues have had it done and said the difference in view is unbelievable and they regretted not doing it earlier.

I have +6, which is the maximum for lasering and now wear soft lenses but I get sick of the getting worse during the evening and also nearing their "lifetime", which is a month because they get dirty/dry.

Also when I look at f.i. a movie in a theater there are always unnatural reflections/distortions due to the lenses. I don't want specs either....

It's a lot of money but buying lenses and cleaning stuff isn't exactly cheap either for years and years..

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Who has had his eyes lasered ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
hmm, i'm also wearing lenses (around -4 on both eyes) and i'm not having any problems at all. i also have monthly lenses, but i wear a single pair for at least three months ::). i have never considered having my eyes lasered because of the risks involved and the money it costs, because for the price of lasering i can get a lifelong suplly of lenses - and so much more! if my eyesight were to degrade though and i would develop problems with the lenses, i might start thinking about it. why not? just don't go to poland ... 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
My Wife had it done just before we got married 8 years ago. Said it was one of the best things she ever did! I have personally always had really good eyesight but over the last year I've noticed a deteriation when looking at stuff up close, her eyesight is still perfect for this stuff and we are the same age!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
That's exactly what I mean. It's not that I have HUGE problems with the lenses but they simply start to annoy me more and more.
Also, how good can it be to almost constantly have plastic covering your eyes ?

The risks are small. There are always risks with everything we do. I think I have a higher chance of getting wounded in my car each day then have something go wrong with layering my eyes.

I think I already made the decision....next year when my tax money returns :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
how much does that roughly cost in the netherlands?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »
Me and my wife did it about 15 years ago and we never regretted it. Before we had contact lenses.

Nothing can beat the comfort of no glasses or lenses 24/24.

Franck
Have You Played Atari Today ?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
how much does that roughly cost in the netherlands?

of course just like anything these are often "attract" prices but I'be seen offers of reliable companies for about 1900 for both eyes.

Thanks Franck, another confirmation....no one who has done it ever says he regrets it...

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
It is about half price in Hungary, but it would be difficult to visit the controlls. :)
http://www.optikmed.hu/lezeres-szemmutet.php?TitleID=42&lang=en

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 07:56:47 AM »
From What I've heard, and if you are already over 35....

Don't   no, No, NOOOO! Don't Do It!   

This surgery is only a temporary VANITY fix.

I've always been nearsighted, and it's more comfortable to read with glasses OFF.   If you have this done, you will need reading glasses after 35/40.  No if's and's or but's.. you will need glasses again.

Not to mention seeing starbursts in oncoming headlights in traffic at night, Various blurry vision, the night sky could be blurry (stars etc.)

Lastly, nothing is more important than your vision, I won't take the chance that they will screw something up.  I'll just keep wearing the glasses.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »
The strange thing is that I hear NOTHING about those things from the people who have had it done...

Also, if you know me ..... this is far from a vanity thing for me....and I wear lenses so in that sense there is no difference.

I've read there are also solutions for the reading glasses situations too.

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
My sister had it done and is very happy. I've been thinking about it but my eyesight is still changing and you can't do it if your eyesight hasn't been stable for at least 2 years.

She did have the side-effect that happens to a percentage of people: starburst effects when looking at lights etc for the first 6 months or so. If you drive a lot at night it can be a problem.

You really need to do quite a bit of research into this and talk to an ophthalmologist who isn't linked in any way to a surgery/hospital so he remains relatively neutral. There are several different ways of doing this type of operation (with a whole bunch of different initials as names) and some suit some people better than others.

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

bencao74

• View Profile
    • ArcadeForge
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »
my GF has done this last year. There are several methods lasering your eyes. My GF has bad values, so she was recommend to get lenses implanted. She never regret doing this steps. Finally the price was approx. 3K (for both ;)).

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »
............to get lenses implanted..........

:o

You got Cool GF !  :D

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »
The strange thing is that I hear NOTHING about those things from the people who have had it done...

Also, if you know me ..... this is far from a vanity thing for me....and I wear lenses so in that sense there is no difference.

I've read there are also solutions for the reading glasses situations too.

Sorry... Didn't mean that personally!  :oops:

I meant vanity as "surgery just to not wear glasses"   If I knew for sure that there would be no problem and be 20/20 with no risks... Sign Me Up!!!    I've been 4 eyes all my life and I hate glasses... I've worn contacts also, since 1982... but now I can't because they now annoy the crap out of me and I can't look at my phone without holding it at arms length.  Grrrrrrrr!  :evil:

So, now since the last 2 years it's been glasses full time.  I read more comfortable taking glasses off.  I don't want to ever have to use bi focals.  I asked my eye doctor about Lasik (or any laser surgery)  and he said "now that you're over 40, it would be a waste of time"  and if you did, you will have to start using reading glasses, I said no way!

bencao74

• View Profile
    • ArcadeForge
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
You got Cool GF !  Cheesy

:) jep :)