Author Topic: :: HISTORICAL & TITANIC BULK BUY / Road Trip' :: The Duke Of Lancaster  (Read 191543 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: :: HISTORICAL & TITANIC BULK BUY / Road Trip' :: The Duke Of Lancaster
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »
Great greatgreat, but where are the pics of that Atari Splash !?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Here's one in France:

http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=14455.0

Seems to be an Atari license of Exidy Crash.

Thanks, great find !!
Yeah, the BW era was where every company had the same games.....probably not licensed.
Still.....very interesting machine because there is nothing available on the net about it. The reason that there is now a 2nd one in Europe would lead you to think it _might_ be a Euro thing only BUT Atari didn't have the Irish factory at that time.....
Would be interesting to know if there are type plates with "made in" on them....

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
wow
amazing
(*read in low speaking movie promo voice*)
an abandonned ship
an untouched arcade
a crane
one eyed Willy
a diet of crisps only

BEST.ROADTRIP.STORY.EVER

I wish I was there to witness it. Awesome story :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

P-man

• View Profile
    • Arcade stuff to buy!
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
Thanks, great find !!
Yeah, the BW era was where every company had the same games.....probably not licensed.
Still.....very interesting machine because there is nothing available on the net about it. The reason that there is now a 2nd one in Europe would lead you to think it _might_ be a Euro thing only BUT Atari didn't have the Irish factory at that time.....
Would be interesting to know if there are type plates with "made in" on them....

There was one in the UK known already (Archer had it last time i heard of it recently) , and now this other one has turned up.

I had a look at the first Splash years ago when it surfaced, it uses a bootleg crash pcb, and was made by Atari-France. It appears that Atari-France were into licensing as well as bootlegging. Atari-France was not an office of Atari as you may think, it was a company in france that set itself up and virually paid Atari to use the name and handle their french operations, almost like a franchise...

In my book, it was a bootleg, but 'licenses' of games in the 1970's often dont carry the hallmarks of licensing that was done from the 80's onwards, ie there is no mention of the original manufacturer or any markings, and the pcb is a copy not a real pcb as you might expect.

I have seen another cabinet that was a conversion but it had an atari-france badge on the back, but the game was originally nothing that atari produced. One day i might find the photos again, not sure what happened to the cabinet.

Still, Atari Splash is an interesting anomoly, and i know the new owner, he lives about 20mins away from me, so i'll get some good pics when I visit him to get my cabinet that came from the Ship :) Sadly i was in Fiji at the time the unloading happened so was unable to meet you all, but i have been sitting on a nice selection of photos from our first trip last year of the rest of the internals of the ship...

enjoy

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »
A cool info ! So I was right about it being a Euro thing :)

So far I only knew about Atari France because of their jukeboxes, but indeed the Splash game was from the same era.

Another indication for me that it could hardly be a US game is the title. I mean Splash is not a word an English speaking person would choose for two CARS crashing into each other since Splash is something you do in water...generally.... ;)

O-o-o-o those naughty Frenchies.....bootlegging....with the Atari name on it ....... t-t-t-t-t ;) ;) 

So great they did those things, because for me these weird/rare machines are the little candy drops in this hobby :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
...and end of this Epic Tale in slot seven  8)

I must admit I'm almost as tired to write this report than done it last week! More than 200 pictures, few videos, special effects... one week of work! ... and I'm not even paid for that...ZZZzzzZZZ  :oops: ;)

Ok, the last task will be to write an 'epilogue'   8)

Anyway, I hope you liked that Epic Tale  :P

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »
I loved every minute of reading it !

Thanks for sharing !  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!! fabulous report, bruno, with some fantastic ideas. one of my favorite pics is this one :arrow:

it pretty much sums up the whole trip!!!

now it's your turn, chris, show us some pics of all the babies in your storage and one with your son sitting inside that helicopter! :)

btw, i think your galaxian theater roadtrip is still my #1 roadtrip of all times because of the sheer craziness involved. nothing will ever beat The Ship though for its unique outstanding location!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »
I intentionally didn't comment this roadtrip until now, I wanted to see the whole story first. :D
Hard to say anything, that was not told before, it is the greatest arcade story and most exhausted roadtrip ever in a superb report. :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
I can imagine the feeling, when you walked on board and sat on those chairs where people had fun more than 30 years ago, it is simply unbeliveable.
This was your 2nd UK roadtrip together in the past 2 months, I'm also really happy that you could steal tons of cabs from that island. ;D
Well done guys, you made arcade history, hope to see you in the news when it will be more public. ;)

Gerry

• View Profile
    • The Thalion Source
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
What an adventure. A long journey, exploring an abandoned ship, getting those arcade machines... wow! I had a great time reading this road trip report. :spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
Thanks Guys! I'm happy having this TITANIC report done... oh... almost done... still have to write an epilogue and also publish pictures of the games unloaded at the ChrisChris location, the day after... so stay around  ;)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 06:20:28 AM »
Awesome Story!  ;D

atarikid

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
One word: A M A Z I N G !   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet

SeTTleR

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
This is totally an epic road trip! I enjoyed every second reading it and starring at the pictures! You must have been really tired, but judging from the pictures, it must be totally worth it! I love locations like this! And then all these rare machines! It's like a time tunnel straight back to the seventies :)
Many many thanks for sharing this and for the great write up!
`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2012, 02:09:21 PM »
Epic ... in every way. Maybe someday I will be part of such a story, too. I think the chances are getting worse but I still dream of the barn full of cabs to haul. ;D Thanx for sharing!!

Ron

• Building my first DK cab :-)
    • View Profile
    • Ronsblog
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »
This is so cooolllll!!!
What a trip. Congrats with the catch  :)