Author Topic: AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHhhhhh! Space Invaders Part 2  (Read 3470 times)

simplesi

• View Profile
AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHhhhhh! Space Invaders Part 2
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Guys, I'm struggling here. Things have been going great recently... a new coin door from LiquidX (thank you) all painted up and fully restored, my boards repaired and working from Iron Giant in the UK (thank you), Taito graphics from Etienne (thank you) and to everyone else who has offered advice (ChrisChris, SuperUlly, Saleem, sorry if I didn't mention any one).

However, I switched on my SIp2 on Saturday and after 2 minutes of playing something blew. F@€K!!!!! I switched it off then back on again. I can here a faint sound from the speaker, like the sound of the UFO on all the time (this is normal for my board set as I think I have the volume on too high). So something has gone. There is nothing on the monitor. What can it be. I do not have a clue... a fuse? Transformer?

Can you please help me resolve this... I will not let this get the better of me. Although, I think I have reached m limit on expertise here... I think I'm better at the physical visual restoration (woodwork, metal work, etc) than the internal bits and pieces.

AAAARRRRRRRRRRggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Any advice appreciated!

Si

simplesi

• View Profile
Re: AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHhhhhh! Space Invaders Part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
HELP!!!!!  :'(

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:12:49 AM »
Check that your PCB is fed with the "right voltages at the right places".
Had a similar problem on my SI and it turned out that the power supply pcb was not feeding 12V correctly to the board.
With the help of KID from this forum we bypassed that faulty PCB using a modern switcher (and kept the main power supply only to feed the monitor with 110v).
I'm definitely not the most techy on this forum but hope this helps!

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »
Did something actually blow physically? i.e. did you hear a noise?
Or did it just stop working?

If you heard a noise, check for blown fuses and actual physical damage (blown/distorted capacitors, burnt components etc), even smell them.

If not, as Chris says, first step is to check voltages. If you got a fully functioning board back from Iron Giant and something has gone wrong, there' s a fair chance it comes from parts he didn't touch, like the power supply (not a 100% chance though). Of course, the board may be damaged now, even if the source is external, but you need to check that before you get the board repaired again in any case.

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

simplesi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
Ok... will look into that. Thanks guys.

LiquidX... I've been working on the door you gave me: