Author Topic: A Great Idea ?? !!!!!!!  (Read 7703 times)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
A Great Idea ?? !!!!!!!
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:27:52 PM »
I've been thinking,....  The thing that is the most expensive to repair/replace when restoring a game is the monitor.. not to mention how much of a pain in the butt it is to deal with!  :?

Wouldn't it be GREAT if someone out there would make UNIVERSAL REPLACEMENT "Plug N Play" monitors for classic games???

There could be a standard set of sizes, that could be on a universal frame that would easily adapt to the cabinet type.

And have Vector replacments too!!!

It won't be long till picture tube monitors will no longer be produced.  And I don't want us all to be up the creek!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: A Great Idea ?? !!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:37:29 PM »
Yes...but fortunately here in Europe, we can still use CRT TV because they have the SCART connector, which allows us to send a true RGB signal into it, and have the Arcade perfect display. But It's not easy to found them brand new  :-[

Regarding the vector monitor... this will be impossible to found them anymore  >:(

But have a look at this emulator.

OK... OK... it's only emulation... but It would give the 'vector looks' on CRT monitor... I'll try it soon and I'll let you know of course  ;) 8)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »

OK... OK... it's only emulation... but It would give the 'vector looks' on CRT monitor... I'll try it soon and I'll let you know of course  ;) 8)

Bruno,

I've already tested this emulator, not bad, tested Asteroids and Battlezone .... Ok it works with nice effects!!!  :-*

The only problem is the video card ... you must use a fairly recent card  :-\

Ciao
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:00:43 AM »
The only problem is the video card ... you must use a fairly recent card  :-\

Thanks for the info Sr33n  :-*

What was your video card used during the test for info ? I've to buy one for the test (I don't have new graphic card yet)  :P

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »
Ok Bruno,

Test done with my notebook with Nvidia GeForce Go 6600 with Windows XP

here the Tech Specs:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/gfgo6_techspecs.html

Ciao
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:09:26 AM »
Yes...but fortunately here in Europe, we can still use CRT TV because they have the SCART connector, which allows us to send a true RGB signal into it, and have the Arcade perfect display. But It's not easy to found them brand new  :-[

Regarding the vector monitor... this will be impossible to found them anymore  >:(

Does this mean we're eventually screwed when our vector games' monitors give out in say... 10 years from now? (or sooner?)

I guess we'll eventually go the way of emulation on most games?

Don't get me wrong, Emulation is great, but lets say I finally get an Asteroids cocktail, restore it, then the monitor fails and no one can fix it... 

Should I just emulate it now & get it over with, instead of waiting for the inevitable?