Author Topic: :: KRULL :: - The Road Trip -  (Read 73720 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
:: KRULL :: - The Road Trip -
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »

Oops, I almost forgot to publish that one! No matter, I'm just in time for publishing in 2011  ;D

So back to the 21st of may 2011... usual road trip stuff to prepare before departure...

...but what the hell this full box of tissues? Well, I have hay fever... and I'm not in a good day  :ghost:

The sun shines ...

...and I can 'feel' the pollen everywhere in the air! Fortunately, it won't be a long road trip  :arrow:

Did you see the distance... only 99km to go, but an estimation of 1h45min! No highway over there? Anyway, this roadtrip will count for my usual stats  ;D  :arrow:

Let's go... I already know that box will be my best friend (or my worst nightmare!) today  :oops:  :arrow:

Argh! Not even 2km l8ter in the next village close to my house, I stop in the pharmacy...I need something to calm down that hay fever!

Damn! Because we are Saturday morning... it's closed  :twisted: Hopefully, I'm not (yet) in a hay fever 'crisis', so let's continue the road trip...

This time I'll steal a cabinet in France...

Wanna buy some fresh strawberries? Maybe on the way back  :P

A road trip report cannot be completed without wind machine picture  ;D  :arrow:

Without using the highways, the travel is not as boring as usual... I'm crossing small villages...

Old ads...

The France is a very beautiful country...I'm not far from my home, and I realize I never came to visit this part...

Here's the famous WINDOWS XP default wall paper landscape  :)  :arrow:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:54:12 AM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Re: PuckMan
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:10:20 AM »
Ok, on location! It's the second time I'm here, the first one was more than SIX years ago for this Xevious... Damn! Time flies...

Still very old 'items' here  8)  :arrow:

It's the first time I see that glass fiber PULL DOWN cabinet  :arrow:

No info on KLOV, but the flyer exists on arcade flyers website, it's a German game, made in 1978. Interesting  8)

The famous mechanical Sega's Helicopter, currently in restoration.

But I'm here for that one...

*KRULL *

I remember well the movie... Good childhood memories  :-* ... I've seen it in theater, I was 10 or 11! And I had this opportunity to catch this rare cabinet.
I don't think that one has been imported in Europe back in the days? Or maybe in a very low quantity? Anyway, it's the very first time I see it in Europe!
But as a fact, the seller (which is an arcade operator) told me he got that game from an other arcade operator who just removed that cabinet ...from location!
Yes, that dedicated KRULL was in location for money ...until recently!
It was a real pleasure to say at this place with the seller. Because he operates games since a long time, he has a lot of stories to tell! Too bad I have to leave... but in addition, my 'hay fever' reminds me it's reallyto leave that place  :oops: OK, let's load the KRULL  :arrow:

We are in VERDUN... a lot of markets garden  :arrow:

but VERDUN is well know for the 'The Battle of Verdun' : it was one of the major battles during the First World War on the Western Front. It was fought between the German and French armies, from 21 February – 18 December 1916

Verdun resulted in 306,000 battlefield deaths (163,000 French and 143,000 German combatants) plus at least half a million wounded, an average of 30,000 deaths for each of the ten months of the battle. It was the longest and one of the most devastating battles in the First World War and the history of warfare. Verdun was primarily an artillery battle: a total of about 40 million artillery shells were exchanged, leaving behind millions of overlapping shell craters that are still partly visible. In both France and Germany, Verdun has come to represent the horrors of war, like the Battle of the Somme in the British consciousness. The renowned British military historian Major General Julian Thompson has referred to Verdun as "France's Stalingrad" (wiki)

It's hard to believe nowadays, when you drive on so peaceful roads ...

... but this bunker along the road reminds me the reality  :-\

Well, I'm almost at home, and I realize I did not do anything special on this road trip... but I got an idea while watching this...

Yes, an other wind turbine... but also a road to reach it!  :P

I cannot resist, let's take that road, and park my car under that giant monster  :o  :arrow:

Wow! It's the very first time I'm under a so huge & running wind turbine! The sound produced by the moving blades was terrific! Too bad I didn't record it! It was really scary  :shock: 8)

So let's take this opportunity to set a new record... being the closest as possible to a wind turbine during a road trip... I challenge you to do better than this  ;D  :arrow:

Ok, I really need to go home now ... yes 'hay fever' blabla... fortunately almost there ...

Home Sweet Home  :)

Two countries : Belgium > France > Belgium, 5 hours on "road trip" time and 197 km on the road.

Next steps : to unload the cabinet, to find a location for it, to watch the KRULL DVD and see how this movie looks like in 2011  ;D ...

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: :: KRULL :: - The Road Trip -
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
Now we can see what we miss when we rush on highways to take our beloved cabs. :D
I can feel the atmosphere of those lovely places from your pics where you traveled through, I love it.
I also like these kinds of old barnes filled with vintage stuff, those old metal advertisement plates rock.
If you ever go there again, please ask him if he wants to sell some of those. ;)
I've never heard of this game and made some research on klov and ipdb.org, seems like 1983 was the "year of Krull" at Gottlieb's, they also released a Krull pinball  with a cool hologrammic insert, it also rocks.

Congrats Bruno, nice catch! ;)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Great read in the morning, thanks Bruno and nice catch!
I have to check that Krull game, of course I loved the movie but never saw/played the game.
2X bat joysticks?

The sega helicopter is super cool too... (not for sale, I guess?).
About that pull down, I came across one too during a previous road trip, nice machine:
PULL DOWN:

Aiming somewhere between Computer Space and Shiva.
Oh and I also spotted a box of 80's vinyls for André's Juke box on a pic  ;)
There's definitely something for everybody in that treasure cave...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:24:43 PM by chrischris »

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »
Nice catch Bruno and another rare cab  :spaceace: :spaceace:

I remember very well this game back in the day, it was in the gameroom of my country (I don't remember the cab, but the game was not bad, quite playable and fun).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:19:47 AM by scr33n »
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
I never saw the game, neither the movie.

however, i did just searched for the movie, and in my search i stumbled upon the manual.

Don't know if you have it, but if not, i have put the pdf right here for you:  ;)
http://www.opdenkelder.com/pics/Krullmanual.pdf

and there was also a pdf that include the conversion kit from krull,q*bert and mad planets to curve ball:

http://www.opdenkelder.com/pics/CurveBall.pdf

weird though, who wants to convert q*bert to a boring baseball game..  ???

Anyway, i also tried it in mame (as curious as i am  :D) and i must say that it looks like a fun game.

the second level is a bit like robotron - berzerk style, so thats nice

Congrats on the cab, it seems a pretty rare cab in europe.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:29:31 AM by Etienne »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
definitely a rare catch, bruno. can't remember if i ever saw the movie, but i know for sure that i never played the game. looking forward to seeing more pictures of your first inspection!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 02:42:56 PM »
I still have the movie on an official VHS somewhere here, Bruno it's yours if you want to put it on top of the cab for decoration  ;)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
Woh! Another Gottlieb game, and a rare one too... I like the shape of the cab more and more!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »
Now we can see what we miss when we rush on highways to take our beloved cabs. :D
I've never heard of this game and made some research on klov and ipdb.org, seems like 1983 was the "year of Krull" at Gottlieb's, they also released a Krull pinball  with a cool hologrammic insert, it also rocks.

Yes, I regret now some road trip done very far, without visiting the place  :oops:
The pinball looks awesome! In addition :  D. Gottlieb & Co. also initially planned a pinball version of the game, but for reasons of cost the machine was never put into production. However, ten complete units were manufactured as professional samples, making these machines extremely rare and valuable to modern collectors.  :o

2X bat joysticks?
The sega helicopter is super cool too... (not for sale, I guess?).
About that pull down, I came across one too during a previous road trip, nice machine:PULL DOWN:
Aiming somewhere between Computer Space and Shiva.

Yeps, kind of ... but fortunately, they are 4 ways leaf joysticks  ;)
I don't think that Helicopter is for sale. But I can ask to the operator if you want  ;)
Hey, your PULL DOWN is not the same color than that one... Arcade history can be very interesting  :)

I remember very well this game back in the day, it was in the gameroom of my country (I don't remember the cab, but the game was not bad, quite playable and fun).

Interesting fact. Because that game uses a special configuration (two joysticks for one player), I think that is why the game was not copied by other companies ... I mean no KRULL bootleg?! In 1983 and beyond, operators went to the easy way when possible (bootlegs)... and maybe started to slow down importing such dedicated cabinets... that may explain why there was almost no KRULL in Europe?!

I never saw the game, neither the movie.
Don't know if you have it, but if not, i have put the pdf right here for you:  ;)
http://www.opdenkelder.com/pics/Krullmanual.pdf
Anyway, i also tried it in mame (as curious as i am  :D) and i must say that it looks like a fun game.

LOL... I've just watched the movie... well... don't expect a great movie  :P In 2011, it's more a 'funny' movie than a Sci-Fi...but it's so 80's  ;D :-*
Thanks for the doc. But already printed since  ;) I didn't try to game more than 30 seconds on mame, I prefer to wait and discover it on the cabinet itself  ;)

definitely a rare catch, bruno. can't remember if i ever saw the movie, but i know for sure that i never played the game. looking forward to seeing more pictures of your first inspection!

Yeps, that one wasn't in my must 'have list', but I couldn't miss the opportunity to catch that rare cabinet!  :P

I still have the movie on an official VHS somewhere here, Bruno it's yours if you want to put it on top of the cab for decoration  ;)

Hell Yeah, thanks Chris!  :-*

Woh! Another Gottlieb game, and a rare one too... I like the shape of the cab more and more!!!

Yes, I think it's exactly the same shape/size than the US Q*Bert cabinet.

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »
I can't believe you found a Krull in Europe - that is crazy mad.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 02:49:08 AM »
+1 Congrats !

Dont know the movie nor the game.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »
I can't believe you found a Krull in Europe - that is crazy mad.

Yeps, according wiki : About 2500 units were produced.

But what 2500 units means? Does it the normal production amount for a 'normal' game? What about 'blockbusters' ones for example?

More info on Krull, the video game : the Krull arcade game was programmed by Matt Householder and Chris Krubel. The graphics were done by Jeff Lee (one of the creators of Q*bert), the sound by David Thiel. The cabinet art was created by Terry Doerzaph.  8)

Dont know the movie nor the game.

Mhhh, better don't watch the movie nowadays, or take it as a funny Sci-Fi 'B' movie from the 80's  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »
Ah, the. I really must see it !

Not too long ago I watched "The Black Hole" again and man was it funny. I had TOTALLY forgotten about it, but I am quite sure I saw it in the Cinema as a kid...
The only scene that is STILL excellent by todays standards is when the meteor is roling through the ship, absolutely amazingly done for that time....looks still convinving today.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »
Unloading the beast.

Wood by Louisania Pacific?  8)  :arrow:

My usual method to unload alone... and avoid that dangerous trailer's ball  :ghost:  :arrow:

Good condition for that cabinet, yeah! Except that left side a little but 'sun faded'  :arrow:

Usual scratches that make history of this cab : no need repro or whatever!

...maybe I don't need that Ashtray  :ghost:

Other side looks great  :P  :arrow:

On the negative part, the previous operator -before selling it- to my seller had the bad idea to use black paint (bomb spray) in order to 'hide' some parts of the cabinet were the paint was missing  :shock: I'll have to remove that  :ghost: You can see it on few pictures where the black looks too 'shiny' ...hum!  :roll:

But I'm really happy... this cabinet looks 'terrific'  :-*  :arrow:

Next step, check the internal parts and investigate to see why the game doesn't work...