Author Topic: Chuck's Challenge, the "official" Chip's Challenge sequel  (Read 4738 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Chuck's Challenge, the "official" Chip's Challenge sequel
« on: November 21, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »
Ever heard of Chip's Challenge ? If you have or had an Atari Lynx, you probably did. If you never had a Lynx buy on and buy a Chips Challenge cartridge and Ill hear you again after a week or three..... ;D

For me it was the best game ever on the platform, not to say one of may favorite games on any platform.
The funny thing is that I'm normally not very keen on puzzling games, but then again, this isnt really a puzzling game. It has elements of puzzling, but just as well arcade like game play. You just have to try it to understand. It also has a very well balanced learning curve.

There is also an official 16 bit Windows version but it doesnt play as smooth and silky as the Lynx and has some differences, not to mention bugs...

Later, using Tile World I was able to play it (Lynx style) on PC and Mac, but I just discovered that Chuck Sommerville, the creator of the game has published an "official" sequel for the IOS platform called Chuck's Challenge !!

Check it out right here and if you have an iPhone or iPad download it from the app store. The first 25 levels are free.

http://www.ChucksChallenge.com

This has kept me from completely boring out in the hospital for over an hour now, and I've just started.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:06:46 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Chuck's Challenge, the "official" Chip's Challenge sequel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »
Jus noticed that a Chip's Challenge "bootleg" is also available for iPad under the name WebCC.
Havent tried that yet though...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
I love chip challenge !

If only they just release this on windows platform...

I dont have any "i" device but would love to play this !

Can anybody port this for me ?  ;D ;D ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »
I love chip challenge !

If only they just release this on windows platform...

I dont have any "i" device but would love to play this !

Can anybody port this for me ?  ;D ;D ;D

There is an official Windows 16 bits version but IMHO it sucks compared to the Lynx version (which is the original).

What you need is Tile World and then somewhere find the original Lynx ROM, then it plays just like the original Lynx version on a PC. Actually you can switch between the Lynx and MS versions in the program, but the MS verision is so poorly converted, f.i. the movements in the Lynx version are fluid while in the MS version the graphics simply "jump" from one tile to the next.

Here is info about Tile World
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tworld/

[edit]Looks like you dont need the Lynx rom but a file that comes with th original Windows version. This contains the maps only. The rest is done by the emulator. When Im home I can send you everything because I also have it on my work laptop.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:22:56 PM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »
I was talking about the sequel  ;)

I have the windows version and that plays well
I might look into that emulator thingy though..