Author Topic: What sensors use the gun controller in Starblade Arcade?  (Read 5223 times)

stuart75

• View Profile
What sensors use the gun controller in Starblade Arcade?
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »
Hello,
I am interested in how the gun controller works. Would like to build my self a similar device for the PC.

But I need to know what is inside the gun controller. Which sensors, mechanics, chips, pictures of the inside outside of the controller.

Any help what be appreciated.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: What sensors use the gun controller in Starblade Arcade?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
here are some pics of the controller in this thread:

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=28.0

Goodluck

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
Hi Stuart, and welcome to the Starblade fans community  ;)

You can have a look at the manual I've scanned, you'll see all the parts included in the gun controller :

Let us know about your project.

stuart75

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »
Yes I discovered it yesterday. Thanks you for the hint. During these days I discovered a lot: Grips, input encoders,...

What I want to build is a Yoke that serves for galactic or flak shooters. Like the controller of StarBlade or the old Star Wars Arcade.
I think it would be fun to use it instead of using the mouse.

At the moment my problem is how the movements x y are beeing transformed into digital signals. What is beeing used in this controller?

When it is finished I will put some fotos into this forum.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:55:33 PM by stuart75 »

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »
It's nothing too advanced. The Starblade gun controller is nothing more than a simple analog joystick, except with its directions reversed and two mounted grips with buttons. All you need to learn is the pinout for the PC game-port. Where the x and y analog inputs go and what potentiometer values to use for them. Usually for PC it is 100K pots, but any pot will do. I've converted arcade controlls on a few occasions using original SEGA pots of 5k each. Works every time on any PC.

Actually, the best and easiest for you would be to just buy a ready analog joystick, preferably USB, and gut it. Use the PCB and wire it to your cannon/yoke 's pots. Then calibrate it and you can play.