Author Topic: First dedicated cab: Centipede  (Read 6308 times)

Donkey

• View Profile
    • Killscreen - danish arcade/pinball news blog
First dedicated cab: Centipede
« on: October 26, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
First of, I'm sorry for the crappy phone images, but it's all I've got.

But hi, my name is Thomas and I'm from Denmark! I've been lurking around the board for quite some time now, learning new stuff and just enjoy reading in here. Ever since I've tried a Centipede some years back, I told to my self, I need me one of these bad boys! Then I visited Muerto and really played the game, and I just got more sure. Since then I've been checking ebay etc for a Centipede, and finally I got lucky, and got in contact with a seller in Denmark that had one.

Oh yes, and one cold september day, I got ready for a roadtrip that was about 292 KM each way. As the rookie I am (only got 1 generic cab) I borrowed a trailer instead of a van, so the trip took just a little bit longer because of the speed-limits when driving with a trailer.

Leaving Aalborg:

As sad as it is, this is the only pic from the trip. As I was entering the city where the seller lives, my phone which I used for GPS (and photos), went dead. So with only the sellers first name and streetname, I was lost. But I got lucky, and when I was standing in the sellers street confused, some girl opened her window and asked if she could help. She kindly let me in her home, let me borrow her computer to check my mail and looking for the sellers adress. Off I went to the sellers house, talked a bit, loaded the cab and drove home again.

Called a friend of mine and told him to come over and help me get the cab in my apartment, and of course I have to live on the second floor. That won't stop me from getting a Centi, so we got it up there, and here it is:

The game works fine, but there is a problem with the PCB. Look at the 000's at the top of the game. They work like mushrooms when you play the game, and the highscore is scrambled because of them, any idea what causes the problem, please let me know. Oh yeah and I finally passed 100,000 mark :)

So that's my little story about my first dedicated cabinet. I hope I'll get better when the next cab is calling my name.  ;D
I need a Berzerk! Hook me up :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: First dedicated cab: Centipede
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
Congrats and welcome !

Centipede is an EXCELLENT game !!

You seem to have an Irish built cab but the marquee is the US as far as I can see (purple background instead of pink).

Did you re-build the trackball ? Best thing you can do with any Centi...

For the graphics problem: first check the +5V on the PCB.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
centipede is indeed a great game and a nice FIRST DEDICATED to have - more will follow, believe me ;)

welcome to the board btw :)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »
Thanks guys, and it indeed a great game! Looking forward to play Millipede (if anyone have a board, I'm interested)

And yes, the trackball unit have been cleaned (really dirty) and got a trackball repair kit and new trackball installed - and it works great! And you're right about the marque, it is purple and not pink, did not notice that.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »
Welcome here !

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:24:30 PM »
Hi Thomas!
Finally!!!, i remembered you talked quite a bit of that last time we met!!
I also had some problems with my Centipede PCB that came in my cab, and it had a similar problem as yours, but, the +5V was not the case... actually i don´t know what the case was, i ended up buying 3 different PCB´s on and 3rd time lucky, i got a flawless working one....

Anyway, 100K+ is an awesome score, i´m still in the 60K+ area  :P
Could you some how make a movie next time you make a highscore??  :spaceace: :spaceace:

Again, welcome here, and GREAT catch!!!!

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
Oh wow, my old centipede... :o congrats Thomas!!!

background story:
i have buy the cab in summer 2008 and converted from a hacked non working bomb jack to a complete centipede. as level42 said, the marquee is the us one, i have buy them in us. the cp i have from woa, the hacked cp i have here in my collection. the attached pic is from the road trip day, taken in my gameroom.

But why i have been sell it in 2009? i don´t know, but i regret it... :'(

P.S. I still looking for a centipede... :oops:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:51:48 PM by TimePilot »

Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »
Missed the part about the +5v, but thanks, I'll check that out. But I'm hoping on finding a Millipede board and get the multipede kit either way. I still would like to have a working Centipede board as well.. And I Will try to record something when I get a working board. Only been over 100k 3 times or something though, it really speeds up fast (damn spiders)  :)

And cool story TimePilot, and thanks for the picture. Is there a restro thread anywhere? It's fun to know more about the cabinet. Also, where did you get it from, if you dont mind me asking? I hope you will find a Centipede again, it really is a great game.. :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
My Centi had issues after Eurocade too I remember now....I haven't played a game since Eurocade !  :shock:

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »
Nice, congratulations! I love that classic cab too a lot: the art, the shape AND the game.
I still have a lot of work on mine but as I've already stated: 2012 will be my cab restoration year! word!  ;)

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
And cool story TimePilot, and thanks for the picture. Is there a restro thread anywhere? It's fun to know more about the cabinet. Also, where did you get it from, if you dont mind me asking? I hope you will find a Centipede again, it really is a great game.. :spaceace:
This cab i have picked up 2008 in Kiel, germany. it stands in a storeroom for years and was converted to a bomb jack, but non working. the centipede pcb was missing. so i have buy a refurbished pcb with warranty from arcadiabay.de for many €... cp and marquee like i said.
when I sold the cab it was not 100% running exactly, because the screen is running...

unfortunately no resto thread about it. only one picture from 2009, in my gameroom.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
Nice, congratulations! I love that classic cab too a lot: the art, the shape AND the game.
I still have a lot of work on mine but as I've already stated: 2012 will be my cab restoration year! word!  ;)

Eeeeuh, what about all those road trip reports?  ;D :D ;) ;)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
that's for 2011!  ;)