Author Topic: Drive talkin'....  (Read 87880 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Drive talkin'....
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
And suddenly you own two Atari Hard Drivin' cockpits...

Sorry for the crappy mobile phone pics.

On the left is what I will be calling HD1. This is the machine I got from "the warehouse".
On the right is HD2. This is the one that I found thanks to ChrisChris' earlier trip and pics (thanks !!!)

To start: both machines are complete (apart from some tiny exterior parts). Original 25K5515 monitors and all electronics are in there.

HD1 is the best looking one. The top plastics have no cigarette burn. the sides are pretty nice. (Although transport to Holland caused some extra damage, apparently it wasn't fixed properly enough).
HD2 looks a bit less. Cigarette burns on the covers and the general condition is less. This one has served in lunaparks along the Belgium coast for many many years (notice the URL in plastic letters, apparently it has been running quite some years !!!)

HD1 is almost completely dead. The monitor did give something on the screen when I tested it in the warehouse, but once we tried it (that is Polderarcade and I) again, we had some extremely nice fireworks around the fly-back :)....I checked the CRT and anode but both seem to have survived the trip...
The only signs of live that this one gives are correct credit sounds, and the wheel moves a bit now and then.

HD2 shows more signs of life. Although the monitor produces a very unsynced and "wrapped-around" picture, we can make out some test screens. Earlier the seller went through tests and found that 3 VRAM IC's are indicated as dead.
I already have 5 of these received so that won't be a big problem.
The tests also indicated that the sound board gave errors, but we sure heard a lot of test sounds.

We tried to adjust the monitor to get a better picture, but it only got worse. I was already happy to get it back to its first poor state....

Although the pic doesn't show it, there was also a marquee with HD2, it looks even better than that of HD1.

Now, my initial goal was to make one good working HD from both machines. After that I'd try to either sell the remaining and/or keep parts like PCBs etc.

However, Polder (who kindly offered some temporary storage space for these two AND helped with the move of HD2) mentioned he was definitely interested in the "lesser" machine.

So, now our goal is to get both working !

The first digging through the net has been done and I found some info about the monitors. There are fly-backs available (again!).
Note that these are medium resolution monitors and so we can't use standard res monitors for test work.

First goal is to either get one of the monitors in good working condition or hook up something else so we can see what the PCBs do...

The machines are very complicated and challenging.
They have full force-feedback on the steering wheel, and I don't mean some weird shaking, but serious electrical motor power. The wheel spins in attract, one of the great things about this game IMHO.
There is the shifter and of course gas, break and clutch pedals.

The seat moves out and turns to allow easy stepping into it. Once you moved into the cab and start a game, the seat is supposed to be fixed by an electromagnet. The cab also measures the distance between the screen and the seat. If the distance is low, it figures there must be a kid in there, so force feedback is reduced and vice-versa.

This is going to be a fun, but long running project...but for the short term we want to get both into a state that we can move one of them into my game room...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:19:13 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Drive talking....
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
o, and no, they can't be linked...

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »
Good to see you back online and i love the picture of the twins.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »
Nice cabs, hope to try them out at next Eurocade! :D
Seems like this game has a very valuable pcb:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Drivin-PCB-TESTED-WORKING-/250879033832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a698e41e8

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »
Thanks Pieter !

Some more info:

The right one is on a cart because they removed the rear wheels on that one...
It also was too close to someone spray painting something in grey, because the seat has obviously a lot of grey paint on one side.... :S

For the technically minded, here is Jed Margolin's (the guy behind the hardware, just like SW) pages about Hard Drivin':

http://www.jmargolin.com/schem/schems.htm

He put up a lot of schematics that Atari either didn't publish with the game or had parts missing in a try to prevent bootlegging. (Which failed, I've seen one bootleg called Road Drivin').

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
Nice cabs, hope to try them out at next Eurocade! :D
Seems like this game has a very valuable pcb:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Drivin-PCB-TESTED-WORKING-/250879033832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a698e41e8

Yeah but that's Chattanooga......it's pretty famous for high pricing stuff.

Still....HD PCB's are pretty hard to find, especially working. I would love to have a Race Drivin' PCB set. That one offers more variation in tracks and has even better simulation. Note that Atari constantly names Hard Drivin' a simulator, and not a game. I think they are pretty close to the truth with that.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Drive talkin'....
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
More pics !

Earlier pics I took of Hard Drivin' nr. 1
This is the one that has spent it's life on the Belgian coast and works "the most".

Impressive bunch of hardware...

The marquee looks great:

Life !

Some pics the seller sent me after he had run some tests:

Sadly it gave a sound board error when we tried it...

The bad RAMs:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
Hard Drivin' 2, the nicer looking but "less" working one...

The Med-res Wells Gardner 25K5515. The tube is supposedly compatible with that in SW cockpits. That alone makes it worth the money ;)

Hardware complete too here. The Switcher is mounted in reverse compared to HD1...?

No cigarette burns !

At least something works.... bit yellowed though, but I've seen that with other marquees, should be possible to clean up.

Amazingly none of the artwork is generally available.....yet ;):

Best side, but a bit damaged now sadly...looks very nice here still:

polderarcade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:10:41 PM »
On request took some pictures today

How the screen looks like at the moment:

Back of the screen:

Pot meter explanation :

One lesson making this pic be damn carful with power on screens :o

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »
Did it bite you ?

The seller mentioned that the picture stabilized after having it run for a while. That's probably why he could take the good looking pictures...not sure if it will get warm enough in "the barn" though ;)

I was hoping for a picture (or video) of the other monitor though.....nicest miniature lightning storm I've ever seen... ;D

polderarcade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
I think its not really oke for the monitor second time it was more of a candle than a light storm. ;)

And yes it bit me, next time I byte back :twisted:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 11:44:21 PM »
I think its not really oke for the monitor second time it was more of a candle than a light storm. ;)

And yes it bit me, next time I byte back :twisted:

Haha, now you're fully charged.

Candle ey....nice....or not.

At least we are pretty sure it's dead. ;)

I wondered if there is anyone who has one of those video converter boards that turn CGA/EGA into VGA (like this:

that we could borrow for a little while. Would be very handy to test the PCB's on a regular VGA monitor...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »
I think you are a lucky guy having robin living close to you with this project..

although, replacing rams,burning roms and checking capacitors you can do yourself with the equipment and experience you have  ;)

Bring on that rearside, so i can put my See-through scanner on it !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »
Yes, we can get these babies back to life !!

Robin kindly offered to go over to Polder's place on a saturday to work on them, an offer I cant refuse of course ! :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
By the way, the seller of HD1 had two new cabs in....full size Mad Dogs but they were both incomplete and the tops were butchered. They were built by Atari Ireland.
Pretty funny because there are Amiga's inside these Atari bult machines :)

Then again, the Amiga was the follow up of the Atari 8 bit line :)