Author Topic: ESR meter and ....the fairy tales of the cap-kits...  (Read 77149 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: ESR meter and ....the fairy tales of the cap-kits...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »
Mike already has a mod for his meter to include auto-discharge, but I can totally understand your position Béla :)

Caps (electrolytic one's) Usually have a a high tolerance (that is variation in stated value). Usually it's 20%.

Also usually manufacturers succeed in making the caps have a HIGHER value than specced, because that is often better than a value below specced.

This value is within -10%, if the cap is specced at 20% it is OK still. ESR is fine.

About the Russian meter, that's just one guy earning some cash with his hobby. Peak is more of a company.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. The auto-discharge is sure an advantage, but I didn't like the crocs, and especially the DIP socket to test new caps is ideal on the Russian one. Not to mention....it's about half as cheap...

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the techical overwiev André, imho we both have great and very useful equipments and you are right about the price aslo. ;)
I really liked the ESR 70 since the first moment you posted it's pics here, I was too weak to change my mind and buy the other one. ;D
Those crocs totally dismatch with these kind of equipments, I totally don't understand why did the supply this cool machine with them

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »
Probably to have a very tight contact. I found out that the meter is pretty sensitive to that. You really need to use a little force when using the test leads. Remember, thee is a 100 kHz signal going through it, so measure tip to cap lead resistance is counting here...

If I were you I'd cut of the crocks and by some nice quality pens you can solder to the leads...

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
If I were you I'd cut of the crocks and by some nice quality pens you can solder to the leads...
That is the plan exactly. ;D
One more noob question, does it have any difference if you measure the caps from the solder side of the pcb?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
Nope.

Do you have to calibrate the Peak ? Do check the manual, usually they do, and so does the Russian one.

It's very simple on the Russian: touch the leads together while powering up. After a sec or so it says calibrated.

This measures the "contact resistance" of the leads and the tips and it will take this into account when measuring caps.

It can have a pretty big impact on the measured results if you don't calibrate.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 07:56:14 AM »
Mine has the same calibration method, the manual advises to make it at least once a week to get true results.

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
After a few tests it seems like a great product, the only disadvantage is that the crocs are too big for accessing smaller caps, André's equipment have sharp pins, I guess it's easier to handle it in these cases.
Anyway, I have a masterplan to fix this, simply attach some pins to the crocs. :D

I just had my hands on one of these Peak ESR meters this morning. Unless you have an older model without the feature, the crocodile clips are attached to the cable with 2mm banana plugs, you can just pull them off and replace them with any other type of probe, including small clips.

You can see where they clip together as the wire is wrapped in a thicker plastic element.

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
Thanks Liquid, I didn't notice that and it is also not in the manual. :spaceace:
The manufacturer have some really expensive replacement parts, so I decided to use some single pens from a multimeter. ;D

It works great. ;)

bencao74

• View Profile
    • ArcadeForge
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
I enjoyed the video much :) nice testing device. Does somebody know the trade off between model ESR 60 and 70

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »
If i remember correctly the difference is the "audible alerts", not being present in the ESR 60... In addition, i bought the ESR70 from RS online and surprisingly the it was cheaper than the 60  :?  :lol:
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
I enjoyed the video much :) nice testing device. Does somebody know the trade off between model ESR 60 and 70
"The Atlas ESR PLUS is even better
This new model introduces new features including “Audible Alerts” and enhanced measurement range. Every measurement of ESR will be shown on the display as usual of course, but the unit will also produce a variety of tones depending on the value of ESR. And the tones themselves are surprising pleasant, including “Bell-like” pings (a couple of different types for ESR that is below certain values), and also a “Beep-Barp” type tone for ESR that is likely to be too high. There is also a reassuring “Blip” when the measurement has started and completed.

The ESR measurement range has also been enhanced, now doubled, measuring from 0 to 40 ohms with a resolution as low as 0.01 ohms. This remarkably fine resolution is great for assessing large capacitors and even allows you to use the Atlas ESR+ for tracing short-circuits and finding the precise area of a PCB that has that invisible wisp of solder."

bencao74

• View Profile
    • ArcadeForge
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »
thanks for the heads up.

The ESR 60 was at reichelt for 87 something. At RS Online 97 plus VAT. I`ll send the ESR 60 back. Or does somebody need a ESR60?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »
Still double the price of the russian one, why not support a colleague 1 man hobby-business...

bencao74

• View Profile
    • ArcadeForge
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »
Okay,

first repair action with an ESR Meter. Thanks to this friend I could focus on other parts besides capacitors.

http://bencao74.blogspot.com/2011/11/repair-log-sttng-star-trek-next.html

My ST:TNG DMD display works again. 

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
Super electro noob says: what's the correct resistor I need to discharge a PCB or monitor capacitor? (I guess it depends on the capacitor's value?)
I read that a light bulb with 2 wires would also do the trick.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:48:27 PM by chrischris »