Author Topic: >>> EUROCADE SURVEY, PLEASE READ !!!! <<<  (Read 31893 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: >>> EUROCADE SURVEY, PLEASE READ !!!! <<<
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »
Yes of course we will present the results...

@Blanka, well in reality is IS a Google Documents spreadsheet that gets filled in automatically when someone submits the survey.

The great things about it is that it also translate the results in that spreadsheet automatically to nice graphs and charts, even indicating the number of responses per day and stuff....really nice !

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
what will be the closing date ?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »
Today ! HA ;)

Well guys, 25 people filled out the survey, which is an immersive response compared to how many people visited.

The general results are also something that professional organizations could only dream of I guess. I think it's safe (without any bragging) that generally we did a pretty good job. It is nice to see that after putting so much work in it ! :)

If you want to see all the results in a graphical way, you can download the document here:

https://idisk.mac.com/andre.huijts//Public/Survey Eurocade 2011 Results.pdf

Let's go through it a bit:
-The vast majority of the people who responded also visited Eurocade.
-The general rating of Eurocade was VERY high (The one guy who responded 3 will be dealt with !  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)
-The vast majority wants to keep it a registered people only meeting and also will or probably will visit a next Eurocade

- Now an interesting one, almost 50:50 is the decision between every year or every two years....that doesn't help a lot really :)
I think, for now, it's safe to say if anyone is volunteering for Eurocade 2012, we should go for yearly...at least for now....

- luckily the vast majority still wants to bring their cabs to a next Eurocade or is at least considering it

- The location is also interesting, but I think that the original concept of it moving across Europe is still standing.

- The geographical location of Eurocade was a bit of a surprise for me. Rather mediocre score on that one. I thought it was perfect (haha, well for me it was of course ;))
Seriously: I can understand if it's a long travel it's not the best location. But take into consideration that:
- it was very close to major high-ways
- it was very close to a good and affordable hotel
- it was very close to a major city and tourist attractions ;)

Anyway, this question will always be regarded to the place you live of course.

The building scored high, glad about that, and indeed it worked out great.
Physical set-up scored very high too

Then the decoration of the game room. Probably the "worst" score in this survey, and rightfully so !!! It's something we simply overlooked. Maybe also because of we first planned to do it in my backyard.
It's a good suggestion to darken the room next time, and hopefully create a more realistic arcade scenery. We already have a volunteer for that ! :)

Catering scored good to great, always depending on taste of course.
Hotel scored average to good too....my guess is that people who didn't visit the hotel entered a 3 there ? Or were there any complaints ?

A small majority of people would like to see Candy cabs at the next Eurocade.

The "hall section" scored pretty high although there was not that much people actually staying there. I guess that's because it was really a hall....it's a traffic area ;) Depending on buildings that can be improved too (space for handhelds etc.)

The variety of games scored very good. Actually this was a tough question because we didn't have much to say about the variation, we were damn happy with ANY cab being brought in !!

The Mame machines receive a luke-warm welcome, most people don't really care.

NOW, a very important section:
Participation: 40% of the people are willing to organize the next Eurocade. That is an excellent score (and honest) IMHO !!
That makes me feel good about the future :)

Even better, the VAST majority of people is willing to be a crew member at the next Eurocade. Excellent !

Fees & donations: a small majority of people are in favor of a "cover all costs" entree fee for the next Eurocade. I think it's viable to do that now we've established an (approximate) picture of costs.

Most people indicate that Eurocade should look for more press coverage. Our idea is that this in pretty direct relation of Eurocade being a "registered only" event. Probably, when Eurocade would be public, we would get (and need !) MUCH more press attention.

A personal Thank You for the response on the question about the pre-Eurocade communication. I think most time went into that :)
Maybe I overdid it a bit here and there, but I'm the kind of guy who prefers to be safe rather than sorry ;)

The bast majority rated september as the best time for Eurocade. I chose September because temperature wise it would be comfortable (with still some chance on dry weather for cab transport). Also, the summer period is out of the question for an inside event like this (also holidays). Winter time is a bad idea because of the long distances needed to be travelled.Also I looked at some other popular comparable event to not interfere.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
Now.......as if I haven't typed enough already....

I'm posting some PERSONAL comments. Note that this is not necessarily the opinion of all the crew members !

In all humbleness, Eurocade was my idea. I had hoped for a couple of guys (6 or so) to bring some cabs and come along.
NEVER had I dreamt that it would turn into this huge success !! So THANK YOU and I'm proud !!!

However, now we need to think about the future of Eurocade. I am totally willing to let other people organize it, BUT they have to agree to keep to some of it's elementary ideas:

1) NO profit
2) MAIN goal remains: Classic video games of the golden age (late 70s - 84/85). Everything else IS allowed, but it should not hurt that MAIN goal. So if there is a need to chose between Ms.Pac Man or a candy or handhelds,or a pinball it's the first.
The reason for this is that there are other meetings for home computers, consoles, pinballs etc. The focus should remain.
3) keep up the Eurocade quality standards. It's doable ;)

Now, those 40% of 25 = 10 people who indicated willing to organize the next Eurocade, please raise your hand !
You can't start too early. ;)

The Eurocade 2011 crew gained a lot of experience. The next weeks, I will be making a "script" that the next crew can use to organize the event as easy and smooth as possible.
This will contain all sorts of info, from beginning to end. You just have to "fill in the dots".... ;)

Apart from this, the next crew will have to agree to keep in contact with me over certain things. I don't want to know all the details, but I do want to "protect" the Eurocade name so that it will stay a brilliant event.

But I'm sure every new crew member has the same goal. This does NOT mean that everything has to be done just like we did it !!!

So let's hear it guys !!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 07:06:10 AM »
......Note that this is not necessarily the opinion of all the crew members !

not necessarily, youre right about that, but i can say that i agree 100% with what you wrote  ;)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »
me2, now let's start organizing the next edition!!   ;) ;D

2-mad

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
Ok .. All that is so right bro. !!!

Well .. I raise my hand .. and I prefer the next Eurocade here in Dortmund ...
We have got some "Youth-Center" here with a infrastructure we need.
I can figure out how high the costs will be so, we have a "Plan A" ..
In the next days I need to go into the Hospital, but after that I think that I have a lot of time (yippie) .. :'(

Didi

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
Thanks André, that is a clear summary of the outcome of the survey. And it is very useful for the next organisation team.

I'm also very happy with the outcome, it shows that we reached our goal of having a great event with great people.  ;D

And you know that I also have a love for Japanese candy cab gaming, so the fact that a small majority would like to see them join next time, makes me a happy man.  :D To fullfill this 'need', I'm more than happy to bring one of my candy cabs at next event.  :)

I'm also very happy to see that other people are willing to organize the Event, and at different locations. This is exactly what Eurocade is and should be about, a community effort, located accross Europe! This year Holland, next time Germany (maybe), after that ....

More personal comment, see below

-The vast majority wants to keep it a registered people only meeting .....  I Agree

- Now an interesting one, almost 50:50 is the decision between every year or every two years....that doesn't help a lot really :)
I think, for now, it's safe to say if anyone is volunteering for Eurocade 2012, we should go for yearly...at least for now.... I Agree

- luckily the vast majority still wants to bring their cabs to a next Eurocade or is at least considering it ...  This is essential for the survival of Eurocade, people will have to bring games with them. In fact, that was obligatory for people to visit the event (at least at first), and this should remain obligatory.

- The location is also interesting, but I think that the original concept of it moving across Europe is still standing. Yes!! It should circle across Europe.

- The geographical location of Eurocade was a bit of a surprise for me. Rather mediocre score on that one. I thought it was perfect (haha, well for me it was of course ;)It was perfect, for you and the other Dutch visitors, including me. but I can imagine that other people have another opinion, distance wise.

The building scored high, glad about that, and indeed it worked out great.  I agree 100%

Then the decoration of the game room. Probably the "worst" score in this survey, and rightfully so !!! It's something we simply overlooked. Indeed, should have gotten more attention, but we never really thought about it. Next time better.

Catering scored good to great, always depending on taste of course. Catering (food, drinks and staff) was perfect!!

A small majority of people would like to see Candy cabs at the next Eurocade. Yep, good idea.  :) :)

The variety of games scored very good. Actually this was a tough question because we didn't have much to say about the variation, we were damn happy with ANY cab being brought in !! YEP

The Mame machines receive a luke-warm welcome, most people don't really care. Leave Mame home

NOW, a very important section:
Participation: 40% of the people are willing to organize the next Eurocade. That is an excellent score (and honest) IMHO !!
That makes me feel good about the future :)   What a joy!!

Fees & donations: a small majority of people are in favor of a "cover all costs" entree fee for the next Eurocade. I think it's viable to do that now we've established an (approximate) picture of costs.  I agree.

Most people indicate that Eurocade should look for more press coverage. Our idea is that this in pretty direct relation of Eurocade being a "registered only" event. Probably, when Eurocade would be public, we would get (and need !) MUCH more press attention. I think that we don't need more publicity if we want to keep it a private 'on invitation only' event.

The bast majority rated september as the best time for Eurocade. Although I prefer spring, September is also fine with me.

That's it for my two cents.

And Didi already raised his hand, for Dortmund.  Didi, you have my vote!  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
First of all: Hope it's not too serious Didi !!

Well.....since Didi raised his hand first I too give my vote for Dortmund.

Sounds like a good location to me !

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »
First of all, thanks for André for doing this survey, seems like our first Eurocade turned out perfect. ;D
I also think it is a great idea to circle it across Europe, until we arrive back to Ridderkerk in a few years. ;D
About timing, I agree with Erik, I prefer spring (march-may), but early autumn could be also good as it was this year.
About location, Dortmund would be great, it is just 1200 km from me not 1500. ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
About location, Dortmund would be great, it is just 1200 km from me not 1500. ;D

LOL !!!!!

2-mad

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »
Sounds good .. so I can call some locations to ask for prices etc.
I would prefer one location with a air-conditioned room ...

In the next days I take some pics ...

Didi

BUT : I HELP organizing the Eurocade .. but I don't do it by myself.
And @Level42 : Yes .. it IS serious .. damn !

Didi

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Dortmund, perfect for me; 213 km, 2 hours 13 min.

Thats less time and Km's than i spend this time on the road for eurocade, i only live 45 Km from Ridderkerk, but did some trips there ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »
Sounds good .. so I can call some locations to ask for prices etc.
I would prefer one location with a air-conditioned room ...

In the next days I take some pics ...

Didi

BUT : I HELP organizing the Eurocade .. but I don't do it by myself.
And @Level42 : Yes .. it IS serious .. damn !

Didi

Now I'm confused. Of course we will provide any info and help possible ASAP on how to organize it, but it is of course not possible for me/us to organize it from so far away.
Someone has to pick uo the glove and be "the boss" of  Eurocade 2012 (or 2013).
The very next step is to get a team together of a couple of crew members who are willing to help with the preparation and on the day itself. Believe me, it's impossible to do alone. I was lucky to have four great helpers. The absolute minimum for the total crew would be three I guess.

So, considering this,  can you manage to organize it or is there someone around Dortmund who can be the leader for the next Eurocade. And if not, where are the other 9 who indicated they were willing to organize it ?  ;D

2-mad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
I must not be the "Boss" ... the last 17 or 18 years I was the Boss, and now I'm a little bit tired to be one ..
If there will no other guy who will do this job, I do ..
But you are right ... Where are the other ones ??

I can't do it alone .. so who is "near by Dortmund" to build a new "Eurocade-Crew" ??