Author Topic: Q*bert. A man and his grail... FINISHED !!!  (Read 271982 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Q*bert. A man and his grail...
« Reply #300 on: March 02, 2015, 12:47:54 PM »
Sanded the sides lightly after drying with 240 grid.
Put on another coat of primer and I still have some left for a thin last coat.

Must be crazy ......putting on 4 coats of primer, when I paint stuff in my home I do one maybe two coats ....but it doesn't hurt anything and else I'd ditch it anyway.....(I always keep some of the final paint in case there might be any future damages to fix but I see little use in keeping this color matched primer)

I had a look at the black parts and well....they suck. The paint is too shiny and for some insane reason I thought I could get away without priming the black parts, while I had sanded some bare, and other (largest) parts still have the old paint....I'll need to redo that....means sanding and primering, and using a less shiny black paint (this stuff was supposed to be satin but it's way too glossy for that.)

I watched John's video where he primered and painted the Journey. Apart from laughing again about the brown paint (the entire family here did :) ) I learned some things, the most important is the 2000 grid automotive sandpaper for the final coat...sure gonna try that. Maybe even a final treatment with a magic eraser might be a good idea....ultra-fine sanding ;)

Some things I saw John do that I would do differently:
- don't put the stirring stick on the dusty floor and then put it in the paint.....
- I always learned to "set-up" the paint across in the direction that you finish your rolling. So, when I have put up some paint on the roller, I do one or two rolls horizontal and only then start to roll out the paint in vertical movements. I also roll both in up and down directions I noticed John (tried to) roll only downwards.....any reason for that ?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:52:01 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2015, 08:37:52 AM »
Love that profile in the window ;);)

Final (4th) coat of primer done yesterday when I returned from work. Had exacly enough....and just a 250ml. can, hope the same goes for the paint.

The real color is more like the picture through the window.....stupid Samsung telephone camera.....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2015, 08:41:54 PM »
YEAAAAAAAHHHHH, first coat of paint done and......fuck guys.....I am already proud of myself.

I must say.....this is some quality paint. I _did_ also learn a bit from John's video about painting the Journey cab in that I now do the last "rolls" with very little pressure and the very last one's I start at the top and roll all the way down to the bottom.

Is there orange peel ? Yes there is orange peel, but not terrible. And with the other thing I learned (using automative very high grid sanding paper on the final coat) I am sure this is going to be one smooth Q*bert :)

The second picture shows the color best....the lighting in my gameroom is not exactly pure white ;)

Pics taken right after doing the coats so still whet....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »
Geez it really looks like that color-matched primer is a HUGE help....it already looks very nice with just one coat and I used maybe 1/8th of the can !!!
I always try to put not too much paint in my rolling-tray because it's stupid to throw it away and you can always take some more if needed.

So I thought I had put in enough for one side but I could easily do both sides with this little paint. This is also good, thin layers are better :)

I think I could do like 7 coats or so with this small can.......makes me wonder what on earth John did with his GALLON of blue paint (or was it brown?) for the Journey ??

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #304 on: March 08, 2015, 12:26:15 AM »

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:02:23 AM by Level42 »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 08, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »
Looks great Andre, seeing this restore makes me kinda feel like this regarding the hobby..

;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #306 on: March 08, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »
That's great to hear Pieter !!

And I understand completely....I must say I am really back "on the game" now....love working on the Q :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 08, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
Looks good, have fun with it  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »
OK, every day a layer so far so I applied the 3rd layer couple of hours ago. I sand in between the layers by hand and a sanding block with a grid 400.. Removes the most of the orange peel. I think I won't do it between layer 3 and 4 though....and maybe 5.....

With the door of my gameroom open I had enough daylight this afternoon to see that not everything was really well covered. Not a big problem, there's no need to cover it completely in 1 or 2 layers, in fact it's better not. However, turns out the guy at the DIY store was right that yellow was a tough color to cover.

Anyway, can't waste time so back to the control panel.....

And holy m...... f...... what a bitch it is !

I thought my Ms.Pac CP was a nightmare, but this one was worse (or my memory faded a bit).

In some sort of desperate attempt I had applied some general "sticker remover" stuff from the Gamma (DIY store). Needless to say it did little...

So what now....I decided to give it a try my trusty Black&Decker eccentric sander....this was a great gift from my dad must be one of the tools I use most for restorations....can't believe there are (were ;)) actually people living without one of these  ;D

I discovered already before that when you slightly tilt the sander in an angle it "bites" a lot more into what it is "eating". Maybe that's not the royal way to do it, but WTF.
As long as that unbelievably stubborn goo gets off !!!

So I tried it a bit and yeah....not too bad....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:56:19 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2015, 08:55:49 PM »
But it was not exactly the right place to do it on the kitchen counter so I removed the rest outside.......Mind you it was still a struggle like hell.
It took a couple of hours and a handful of 60 grid discs to get rid of every little bit. The bent-over edges are the worst parts....
On some spots I noticed it was getting tougher than before....then I rememberd those were spots I didn't touch with the sticker remover so I decided to wet those parts with the stuff and immediately sand.....aaaaahhh those smells.....I'm still tripping man !

That sure worked though ! Probably my new method for the next (argh) I'll have to do.

Still need to sand the under side, can't reach these parts with the B&D regretfully, gonna need serious hand work.....also on the inside of the bends, there's actually some rust there. I'll have to bend sanding paper over a stick or so to reach that...

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »
Have you ever tried varnish remover?
That's usually used to remove paint from wooden doors/stairs/furnitures.
It worked fine for me on my Centi CPO.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2015, 01:01:24 PM »
That sticker is gone from the Aux panel....not sure if I still have it....maybe I can measure the remainders, I'll try this afternoon.

Picking up the remaining work on these decals, did you find out the width of the decal perhaps ? then i can scale it and print them in the next run (#SOON)

The other is done and placed in my file to print for you, and also added to the shop.

230V variant:

110V variant:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:30:46 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »
Have you ever tried varnish remover?
That's usually used to remove paint from wooden doors/stairs/furnitures.
It worked fine for me on my Centi CPO.
Do you have a brand or picture Chris, sounds interesting !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #313 on: March 10, 2015, 08:03:25 PM »
Awesome Etienne. I don't have that certain sticker on the Aux panel anymore...I could maybe measure the remains on the metal but it will be inaccurate.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »
If you have the size of the holes and / or the nut size, i can scale to that.

in combination with the remains we will be pretty close to the size.
at least good enough for a replacement i think.