Author Topic: Q*bert. A man and his grail... FINISHED !!!  (Read 271193 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Q*bert. A man and his grail...
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
great story, andré, isn't it just great when your childhood memories come back (to haunt you)?

regarding the bezel: i've ordered three from mike's arcade: one for you, one for thorsten / dirk and one for me. and we've already talked about the rest of the artwork, so when it comes to this you're done ...

regarding the multi-q*bert: i'm thinking about getting in on this one because it fits in nicely on the original board!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

shilmover

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 07:01:08 PM »
And I just sold a working Q*Bert PCB last week.   >:(
Too bad !!! That's my punishment for keeping it a secret :S

As long as you don't sell the DK panel to anyone else ;)

Bezel: Is that the same one like from Mikesarcade ?

@Luigi:
No , the mult-Mylstar FPGA is not finished yet but I know it will be a reality one day...
The bootleg Jamma _would_ definitely be an option to bridge that gap of time...I'll PM you !

That will teach you!  :)

The DK CP is not going anywhere...  I am just awaiting on a part that I'm missing for it.  The bezel is not the one from Mike's arcade (I will find out where its from as I have the original paperwork).  Its nice as It can be sent in a tube and then just applied to a piece of glass or Plexi.  Its extremely high resolution...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
OK thanks Barry, but as you can see Ully already ordered one from Mikesarcade for me.....and Ully has special delivery options... ;)

Ully, do you know, is that a complete bezel or a "stick on" decal ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »
Ully, do you know, is that a complete bezel or a "stick on" decal ?

complete bezel, just put it in, so no screw-up possible :P

here's the description: Silk Screened on .117 acrylic, laser cut, and color matched. Comes premasked on both sides
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Cool !

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »
Great story André! - saw your Q-bert "box" at EuroCade, and it looked really nice!, and after playing some games on Bruno´s Q-bert, i (also) simply have to have this lovely game, just not rignt now though  :-\ :roll:

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 10:55:14 PM »
 :o that @!#! is very rare. Must of spent A LOT of money to buy that thing!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
Dunno what to put here.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
What do you mean, the marquee ? It's a repro from Phoenixarcade. Cost $60 ex shipping and import duties...

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
Ohhhhhh....
Dunno what to put here.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »
Congratulation Andre. Is it the same size cabinet than the cab of Bruno ?

So now.... WIP... and then... next Grail ?????  ;D ;D
No mine is a US built Q*bert so it's a bit bigger than Bruno's.

I still have a number of projects:
-Ms.Pac
-Nintendo cab (from MB to DK, or maybe it will be a multi- Nintendo...but outer appearance will be DK.
-finish and sell Puckman
-video pinball
-Q*bert
-Joust

Pffff and plenty of smaller things to do on the other cabs....

Apart from that I still got a wild plan involving a race cab but I would need SPACE for that project .... anyone got some ?   ;D ;D
but my collection is dearly missing a racing game...

But of course there's always a new grail.......mine is Gravitar....:)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:24:33 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 08:34:36 AM »
Nice story.
I love Q*bert too. I have to do it with 2 versions myself: the Videopac one, and the handheld from Parker.
The latter is an amazing conversion, and definitely in the top 5 of faithful arcade to handheld conversions. The only change they made was the size of the field. The handheld has a pyramid with 6 cube sides, where the arcade is 7 cube per side. Al the rest is excellent. Different patterns to colour the cubes, various badies chasing you, the elevators on the side, weird sounds. The graphics are amazing, and better than any console version from that time.
The videopac is very accurate in gameplay, but the graphics are Atari 2600 like too. Fun trivia on that one: I run it on a G7200, the one with built in B&W tube. With the contrast dial, you have to tweak Q*bert for every level. After yellow cubes against blue being nice bright grey and dark grey, the appearance of red and green of the next level might result in exact the same grey levels. By turning the dial, you can "bend" the chroma-channel to have different colour to grey conversion. If you connect it to a TV, you have the best image of any console made before 1990. It has RGB scart output! You can play Q*bert mirrored to a modern screen!
I don't think the regular Videopacs had RGB right ? I think they only had RF as output. I know it's not original, but you could upgrade that B/W to a color monitor if you find the right size ?
By the way, I also saw another Q*bert hand held by Tiger:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiger-Electronics-Q-Bert-Table-Top-Game-/260850078663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbbe053c7#ht_500wt_1413

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »
-Nintendo cab (from MB to DK, or maybe it will be a multi- Nintendo...but outer appearance will be DK.
Maybe impossible to achieve properly but whenever you'll start this conversion, do you think you could try to save your MB sidearts stickers for my MB widebody?
Might be worth a try if you don't mind... they are originals, they should be saved anyway  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »
Well......I think the chance of winning the lottery is larger...but I will try for you !!!

Yes, that's going to be totally heart-breaking for me to do....

The funny thing is that I've never seen the color combination that is on my cab. It's different from all available repro's. So, maybe it's a wrong repro, maybe it's a (rare) original.....maybe Rav can answer this, since my cab originally came from him (although I only discovered that much later :P).

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 10:07:19 PM »
I didn't notice that...cool, even better!
Thanks for trying (when the time will come of course)
I'll send you a bottle of un-du and do some magic rain dance while you apply it.