Author Topic: So that's how you clean up PCB's...  (Read 3607 times)

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
So that's how you clean up PCB's...
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »
Is it really ok to wash your pcb's in the dishwasher???
http://www.tokensonly.com/2010/03/restorations/g07-monitor-chassis-wash/#more-2422

I would have thought that most parts oxidate afterwards. I would be a little worried about putting a pong circuit into my dishwasher. Not that I have one...

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
Re: So that's how you clean up PCB's...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
I've heard countless examples of people putting their old Amiga/Commodore/Atari/whatever pcbs in the dishwasher to get rid of dust, dirt and grease and it shouldn't do any harm. Just make sure that you dry the pcbs as quickly as possible, using compressed air and letting it dry further for a few days before even thinking about powering them on again.

Oh, and DON'T use dishwasher soap, that's a very good way to kill your boards after all  ;D
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

Mickey_Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »
While I never used a dishwasher it was common practice in the electronics shop I worked in 20 years ago to fill a sink with water and wash the circuit boards in it. Always used a mild dish soap and a soft brush. The board is then throughly risned and dried using an air hose. Most boards are them left to air dry for a couple of days, but smaller units, like remote controls were just reassembled.

Water doesn't hurt the electronics, power and water does - just make sure it is completely dry before adding power (IC chips like to trap water underneath them). Other items to watch out for are switches (and assemblies) as the water gets inside and can take a week to dry out. ;)

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
Yes, since i started the post i've read about many people washimg boards. Today i saw someone using white vinagre and a toothbrush. I was always under the impression the water oxidates circuits, making the unusable, but was wrong. My mobile phone fell into the toilet (no comments, thanks :-) ) and it dies on the spot. So from what i gather here it is because it was switched on an "powered".

2-mad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »
My mobile phone fell into the toilet (no comments, thanks :-) )

Ok.... :oops: