Author Topic: ##UK Roadrip## The Heavy Metal RT - Quest For Guitar Freaks  (Read 35451 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: ##UK Roadrip## The Heavy Metal RT - Quest For Guitar Freaks
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »
are you sure your actual job is the one you told us, right?

;D ::) :P

Ok, here's the TV... what a great fate for it... to finish its live inside a rock'n'roll video game cabinet  8)

I'll move all the stuff inside the original metal frame. As usual, I'm using a *template* piece of cardboard, in order to avoid any contact between the electronic board and that metal frame.  :arrow:

I'm lazy... I don't want to remove the wires between the circuit board and the screen/anode  :P So, I'll bring *carefully* the circuit board ON my *template* cardboard protection, like this  :arrow:

!!! OF COURSE, YOU MUST DISCHARGE THE SCREEN BEFORE TOUCHING IT !!!

Ok, it's done. Let's remove the 2 original screws between the screen and the PLASTIC TV FRAME, and fix the top part of the screen on the METAL FRAME, like this  :arrow:

(note that the two original screws between the PLASTIC TV FRAME and the screen are still there)

Now, let's finish the job with the 2 remaining fixations. Done  8) :arrow:

Let's replace the temporary cardboard by this tiny but strong piece of wood, between the circuit board and the metal frame :

Now ready to be inserted in the cab'  :P

:spaceace:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:23:11 PM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »
OK, the TV/monitor is now on location  :arrow:

Of course, I'll have to build a custom adapter in order to send the video signal from the Konami's board into the SCART connector of the TV.
Here's the tools of the day :

Very easy... This time I've used the right colored wires  ;D ...si you can even recognize all the wires : Red, Green, Blue, 3 black wires of the video ground, the white one for the Sync, and the brown for the RGB auto switch signal  :arrow:

OK, done  8)  :arrow:

Let's *quickly* test the adapter, before the soldering  ::)  :arrow:

Too easy  :P  :P  :arrow:

OK, let's put back the glass bezel :

Did I already say it? I love RGB  :-* :-* :-* Check the natural monitor scanline  :-*  :arrow:

:-* :-* :-*

Next step, to repair the first guitar controller (bad contacts)...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »
nice job as always, bruno. i was wondering:

HOW MANY TV SCART CONNECTORS HAVE YOU ALREADY BUILT???
ever thought about starting a business? :lol: so if your job bores you, "bruno's scart connectors, inc." might be the way out  :spaceace:
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »
LOL... mhhh... let's say something like 15 or 20  ::) :P  :spaceace:

I love SCART!!! It allows us to use BRAND NEW TV/MONITORS for our arcade games  :-*

logan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »
Great job bruno.

but i have a beginner's question, how do you discharge the monitor? I think I saw a screwdriver in on of your other awesome threads, but isn't there a more... hmm... not so sparkling way of doing it?  :roll: :roll:   ;D

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
You could buy a high voltage probe, but these are pretty expensive. Or you can build the "SafeBack Discharger" by Bob Roberts ;D for only a few bucks.

Link: http://arcadecontrols.com/BBBB/sb.html
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 03:25:52 PM »
i'm in the process of building one RIGHT NOW, but i don't know where to get a battery terminal clamp like that (would be easier if i knew the german expression for it though  ;))
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Valsimot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's a heavy duty car (or truck) battery clamp (connector), try your local auto shop.

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »
This is my crt discharger:

The black thing around the screwdriver blade is a thick wall shrink tube, for an extra bit of safety ;). I didn't drill a hole in the screwdriver either, I just filed off the protective coating.
If I remember correctly the whole project set me back €15. The screwdriver with the 30cm blade was the most expensive.

@Superully: I got my battery clamp from my local DIY store, the type I used is pretty common.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 11:28:59 AM »
...and back on this!  8)

Well, the reason I didn't play that cabinet was because this first realse of the game (I mean Guitar Freaks "ONE") doesn't include a lot of songs, and worse, most of them are not so catchy!
I knew Konami released the arcade port for this game on PSX, but also the rest of the "Guitar Freaks" franchise on PS2 ... but I didn't take time to make a controller hack to try it ... lack of time, motivation, blablabla...
So that cabinet was for sale a loooog time here.... and let's say no (or almost) interest on this...

But I recently discovered that Konami made an arcade replica controller that could be used on psx, but only sold in Japan.
So I managed to import one, in order to test it! ANd few months ago, here it is  :arrow:

This cost me 140€, a NOS one (no longer manufactured by Konami).
And almost each time now, the Belgium customs steals me! 50,26€  :twisted:  :arrow:

Anyway, here's the box  :arrow:

Rock'n'roll!

Let's compare the arcade (on top of the picture) vs psx controller  :arrow:

Same materials, same shape, same build... yeah!
The knob button from the arcade version has been replaced by two buttons (which act as 'start' and 'select' on PSX mode). There is the 'PlayStation' inscription written on the fretboard sticker.
Oh, and the arcade version has a 'Player 1' sticker that didn't came with the PSX version. That sticker should not be difficult to reproduce.  ;)

Now, in addition of the original arcade hardware, which is still there 'unplugged', the cabinet features a Japanese PS2, a Sony Stero amplifier + Sony speakers.Verdict after many many many games with that test setup... the songs from the other Guitar Freaks are very catchy, and now we have a serious choice among the songs from all these GF versions!  :)
And because this controller is brand new, it's a real pleasure to play and not mistaking notes because bad/used buttons!  :P

Guys, can you believe me that's the game I play the most since!  :wink: :) Anyway, this setup is just perfect to me! I can now invest a 'little bit' more and order a second guitar controller...which finally arrived yesterday  :arrow:

I didn't find the 'acceptable' price I paid for the first guitar, and had to spend... 184€ to import it!
Oh, and as usual, because that amount was not enough, I've to pay the mafia customs! Theft :evil:  :arrow:

...but at last, I have the second controller!

Here's the full setup, 100% working, ready to rock'n'roll  :)  :arrow:

Roooockkkkk'nnnn'rooool!!!!

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Vond

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
Awesome man!

Keep on rockin'!