Author Topic: [Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators  (Read 113359 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »

with the thread title being loosely based on julius caesar's famous phrase "veni, vidi, vici", it was me who came, who saw and who conquered! :spaceace:

what did i conquer? a dedicated atari vindicators arcade cabinet! well, in fact the battle wasn't too hard to win, because i got this game for free and as we all know: nothing beats free!!!

now on to the bad part: the cabinet is missing a lot of parts (monitor, pcb, power supply, speakers, etc.) and while its body is still in solid shape, it is going to need a lot of TLC (tender, love & care) to bring it back to life and make it playable again!

let's have a look at the cabinet first - full frontal view :arrow:

the left side

as you can see, not much left of the artwork

tank chains look dirty, but are almost intact

the right side

fortunately, the sideart here is still there and in nice condition, which means i've got a new job for the vector king ;D

tank chains are looking better here as well

the back side

as you can see, someone obviously tried to "break into the game" and smashed the wood and the grill :'(

i guess i need some repro alu stickers for this one, too!

the fan guard is missing as well (more signs of a forced entry) and there are some heavy damages to the cabinet

at the front, the light fixture is present, but the entire marquee assembly (metal frame, glass, vindicators attraction decal translite) is missing ...

... and so are the speakers! >:(

the good news is that the front decal is there ...

... and its condition ain't too bad :-*

i guess it would have been close to impossible to repro the decal with all those shiny glossy colors - lucky me :)

on to the control panel where you can see the rust eating away the metal! :twisted:

the two tank controllers

the german instruction decal seems to be in great shape - at least something ;)

a look inside the cabinet reveals an empty pcb slot and no power supply at all with the wiring harness being cut! :'(

the lower coin door has been opened and the coin bucket has been stolen, but the upper coin door (which hides the coin mechs, the coin counters and the audio pcb) is still locked - but not for much longer!

lock successfully "picked" 8)

open sesame: coin mechs are intact!

a first peek inside reveals the audio pcb and the coin counters - everything seems to be present!

not too many games on the counters - i wonder when this game was played for the last time ... ???

up to now i haven't removed the control panel because it is being held in place by six of these strange screws

i've been into this hobby for some time now and i don't know how many times i had reached the point where i thought "now you have all the tools you need to restore games!". well, i guess i was wrong again and after a trip to a nearby hope depot a new set of tools has been added to my collection :P

all it needs is the right bit and the screws come off easily

top down view of the audio pcb - pure nastiness! :shock: :shock: :shock:

pure nastiness in detail - i wonder what happened to that pcb!!!

ok, i guess that's enough for you to swallow! as you've just seen, a looot of work to be done and you guy must be wondering "why is superully even taking on this endeavour?".

well, let me tell you this: i have a masterplan!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

to be continued ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Veni, Vidi, Vindicators
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 09:42:04 PM »
Very nice Ully !
she is in good hands with you !

I was starting to get bored, and have nothing else to do, so that sideart vectorjob comes exactly in time...  ;)

Somehow i sensed around februari, that your marquee also is missing, and your lucky that i was bored in that time too..  ;D

It looks like i need to return to this and continue this too:

ps ..

Straight closup shot / scan and measurements please..   ;)

about the alu repro's, no problem, and i think there are more you need right ?

Just place your order my friend, and ill take care of the rest 8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:48:22 PM by Etienne »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »
she is in good hands with you !

i don't know what's up with you dutch guys calling arcade games a SHE - this game definitely is NOT FEMALE! :P

Somehow i sensed around februari, that your marquee also is missing, and your lucky that i was bored in that time too..  ;D
It looks like i need to return to this and continue this too:

good thinking, but you don't have to because - as i've said - i have a masterplan which is already in full motion. stay tuned and watch this space!!!

ps ..

Straight closup shot / scan and measurements please..   ;)

not sure whether i'm going to replace this or not, but it can't hurt to have it readily available, so i'll get you a scan of this along with the measures!

about the alu repro's, no problem, and i think there are more you need right ?

absolutely!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »

ok, i guess that's enough for you to swallow! as you've just seen, a looot of work to be done and you guy must be wondering "why is superully even taking on this endeavour?".

well, let me tell you this: i have a masterplan!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

to be continued ...

Could this be Ully's first "mame-out" ?   :oops:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
Could this be Ully's first "mame-out" ?   :oops:

would a mame-out include you NOT vectoring the marquee?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »
no thats true..
well then maybe you found a NOS Marquee ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »
well then maybe you found a NOS Marquee ?

guess you'll have to wait and see ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »

the restoration begins ...

as always, i'm starting with the leg levelers, because missing / broken levelers are often the root of all evil :evil:. the original levelers are a little bit rusted, but still good enough to use!

after a night in the anti-rust bath and some polishing, they are ready to go back onto the game. note: i've added two additional levelers (not pictured) because the cabinet is so heavy and bulky!

now on to the damages to the cabinet - remember that the rear grill has been smashed :arrow:

removing the grill reveals the full scale of the destruction

viewed from the inside

in order to repair the crack, i have to remove the splintered wood

looking better already

some glue first ...

... and then a lot of bondo!

after multiple layers of wood filler (and some serious sanding) ...

... the cab is ready to be repainted!

the results: from the inside :arrow:

from the outside :arrow:

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

to be continued ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
Those cracks are no challenge for you Ully , we saw worse conditions that you have fixed  :-*
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:26:24 PM by Etienne »

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »
Where do you find the energy to start such crazy deep restorations projects?
I'm simply amazed, these resto threads are always a great read, maybe you should think of a paper version of your "Ully's magic tricks and tips to successfull arcade restos".

About the secret plan: Just a guess but we all know somebody from this forum who found a gauntlet converted to vindicators in a certain abandoned warehouse a long time ago, could this be a part of your solution?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:04:50 PM by chrischris »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »
Where do you find the energy to start such crazy deep restorations projects?
I'm simply amazed, these resto threads are always a great, maybe you should think of a paper version of your "Ully's magic tricks and tips to successfull arcade restos".

thx a lot, chris, the energy comes from the fact that i enjoy solving difficult tasks / puzzles (e.g. armchair treasure hunts like "sur la trace de la chouette d'or" are another hobby of mine) and finding / creating solutions - isn't that part of the fun of this hobby. i only wish i were as creative when it comes to electronic stuff ... :-[

About the secret plan: Just a guess but we all know somebody from this forum who found a gauntlet converted to vindicators in a certain abandoned warehouse a long time ago, could this be a part of your solution?

nice guess, but wrong :P! the vindicators-converted gauntlet has found a new home in denmark as far as i know!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:55:49 PM »
There was a Vindicators on marktplaats about a year or two ago. Went to have a look and compared to this it was in minty condition.
Wasn't free, but it would have been a lot cheaper to buy that one then restoring this.....

..but.....I give huge credits and  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: for Ully to saving this. I think even I would have written this one off....

Go Ully ! :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »
Wasn't free, but it would have been a lot cheaper to buy that one then restoring this.....

and that's where my masterplan is coming into play ... 8)

[i'm off to grab some food now and hang out in the sun afterwards]

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 01:06:22 PM »
I'll bring back the sandwiches, you keep working on this resto  ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
Yeah, my Vindicators found  a nice loving home at Denmark. ;D
This will be a big challenge Ully, but I guess it will look awesome, like all your cabs. ;D