Author Topic: Chatbox  (Read 3504 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Chatbox
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
On one of the forums that I visit frequently, nozomi.nl, they installed a chatbox recently. It works very well and it is nice to be able to chat realtime with each other. Might be a nice addition for this forum as well (on the forum main page).

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: Chatbox
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »
On one of the forums that I visit frequently, nozomi.nl, they installed a chatbox recently. It works very well and it is nice to be able to chat realtime with each other. Might be a nice addition for this forum as well (on the forum main page).
Nice idea!

+1!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:12:02 PM »
The idea of a chat area here has obviously been in the air lately but honestly I really don't see the added value of such a feature.

I use the arcade forums as a valuable and ever growing source of information and that's been helping me out in this hobby countless times.
I have the feeling that many important arcade informations will be lost forever in those chats, that's a pity for the whole community.

Plus, I really enjoy browsing DLF when I have some free time, it's great to be able to tell that for instance you have 15 minutes to spend and that you can focus on reading/answering the topics you're the most interested in.
In a live chat you're more likely to be dragged in a conversation and will probably have to stop it at some point just because you're running out of time.
On the contrary, in a forum, you have all the time you need to answer properly which makes it usually more interesting to read.

Plus I already spend waaaay too much time in front of a computer/smartphone, I just don't need "one more convenient way to be easily reachable".

Skype is doing a great and free job for whoever is into live chatting so why not create a group of arcade chatters there for whoever might be interested?
That might do the trick as well.

Most of these reasons are selfish, but that's just my point of view.
Anyway just like you will never see Ully playing pinball or Level42 playing a DL cab, I swear you will never see me in the chatbox  ::) ::)

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »
Or make a "classic" IRC channel for us?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »
A chatbox is very accessable, much more than for instance Skype. And much more 'private'. Besides, in a chatbox you could talk about anything without 'polluting' the forum too much.

And of course everybody can enter and leave if and whenever they want. I think that it is great.

Mind me, a forum is indeed a place where you should put, and read valuable information, like technical problems and solutions, and tons of other stuff, just like it is now on DLF. A chatbox is just for ... chatting. You know what I mean, just casual talk about anything you like. IMO it makes feel people closer to each other.