Author Topic: Ketsui.... question..  (Read 13535 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Ketsui.... question..
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
mmm shmups. I really would like to learn this type of games a little bit better. The only one i ever played was recca summer carnival and i think nobody here knows it!

What would be a good game to start in this genre? I was thinking ikaruga but i cant find the gamecube version any where. The 2 on MP dont react to my mails.
Any tips on good shumps to get me in this genre?

Ikaruga on Dreamcast  :-* :-* :-* I play it very often on my 'DreamCast' cab  :)

...but here's my favorite 'modern' shmups ... UNDER DEFEAT on Dreamcast  :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-egfG-IL2z4

Modern graphics with 'old school' arcade game play / feelings. I'm dreaming about a Xevious 'remake' like that (Xevious Ressurection as not as good unfortunately)  :P

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 09:21:44 PM »
Under defeat looks nice! Time to hook up my dreamcast and download the game.  :D

I personally like 1942/3 a lot, but i don't see many people owning the game with the full kit. Kinda strange for such a classic?

Do you guy's know if the kit was even released in Europe?

Would love to have one, it's one of the games i remember playing as a child, on a generic cab at our local movie theater.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:46:54 PM by gyruss »

ElPancho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »
UD is greatness.

Love the copper-spray-trail of bullet shells it dumps to the ground below.

Border down is also a great dreamcast one, even for beginners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLEX8MxnV6M
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Pac Man
Black Knight pinball
On the way: Daytona USA

robotype

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
1st of all Ketsui, the SHUMP!!! :spaceace:
Are these videoes played with a trackball, the way he dodges the bullets it looks that way...??!!

it would be great to play cave shooters with a trackball!!! I want to try...but some modifications have to be done to the game rom not sure if that's an easy task, probably not.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
1st of all Ketsui, the SHUMP!!! :spaceace:
Are these videoes played with a trackball, the way he dodges the bullets it looks that way...??!!

it would be great to play cave shooters with a trackball!!! I want to try...but some modifications have to be done to the game rom not sure if that's an easy task, probably not.

Finally, someone sees the idea, i mean, Centipede would suck without a trackball.
And i think Ketsui would work with a trackball...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:45:41 AM »
The problem is that the game is not written for it. You could "tranfer" the trackball info to joystick directions, but that won't gain you any speed in the movement.

The "trick" of the trackball is the difference in speed in movement you can have with it. Impossible with games that were designed for joystick.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
And i think Ketsui would work with a trackball...

No way. 'bullethell' SHMUP's are unplayable with a trackball. Those games need very, very short response times togehter with very accurate position moving in horizontal and vertical direction, sometimes over small distances, like a few mm's, sometimes over large distances. You can only achieve this with a good joystick with a short throw, like some Sanwa and Seimitsu sticks. For certain games these sticks are superior over any other one. Here is some more details about these sticks: http://shoryuken.com/f177/sanwa-seimitsu-faq-118289/

So just forget about a trackball, because although you probably can place your ship very accurately with it, it is much too slow to handle. Besides, (almost) all great SHMUP's originate from Japan, and should only be played on Candy Cabs, and they would look redicoulous with a trackball.  :D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »
......and should only be played on Candy Cabs, and they would look redicoulous with a trackball.  :D
well...
never mind  ;)

robotype

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »
So just forget about a trackball, because although you probably can place your ship very accurately with it, it is much too slow to handle. Besides, (almost) all great SHMUP's originate from Japan, and should only be played on Candy Cabs, and they would look redicoulous with a trackball.  :D

you should ask tony temple's opinion about being slow with a trackball...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZbKjpxvPE

and there are official trackball panels for the astrocity and egret as well (made by seimitsu :P )

SeTTleR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
mmm shmups. I really would like to learn this type of games a little bit better. The only one i ever played was recca summer carnival and i think nobody here knows it!

What would be a good game to start in this genre? I was thinking ikaruga but i cant find the gamecube version any where. The 2 on MP dont react to my mails.
Any tips on good shumps to get me in this genre?

Ikaruga on Dreamcast  :-* :-* :-* I play it very often on my 'DreamCast' cab  :)

...but here's my favorite 'modern' shmups ... UNDER DEFEAT on Dreamcast  :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-egfG-IL2z4

Modern graphics with 'old school' arcade game play / feelings. I'm dreaming about a Xevious 'remake' like that (Xevious Ressurection as not as good unfortunately)  :P

Hi, yeah SHMUPs rock! The Dreamcast is very good for playing them. There are a lot of good games. Especially Border Down, Under Defeat, Ikaruga, ...

If you are new to SHMUPs, maybe you should start with the Konami Classics Gradius, Salamander and Parodius. There are a lot of versions of that games. You can play them in Mame for example. Look how the powerup system works before you start playing and then have fun :)

On-Topic: I am on the same opinion as ckong. I don't think that those games work well with a trackball. Nothing beats a good joystick!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:18:17 PM by SeTTleR »
`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »
So just forget about a trackball, because although you probably can place your ship very accurately with it, it is much too slow to handle. Besides, (almost) all great SHMUP's originate from Japan, and should only be played on Candy Cabs, and they would look redicoulous with a trackball.  :D

you should ask tony temple's opinion about being slow with a trackball...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZbKjpxvPE

and there are official trackball panels for the astrocity and egret as well (made by seimitsu :P )

I think CKONG's remark is based on the 2.25" trackballs like they are on Centi and MC cabaret. If I compare this video with how my MC cabaret played, it makes total sense why I didn't last long in that game. I had to move the ball like nuts to move the cursor over those distances. He barely has to move the trackball at all ! That's the huge advantage of a 4" trackball. This is also why IMHO MC should be played only on the full upright.

But uhm, Erik, since when do Japanese joysticks have a _short_ throw ?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
I think CKONG's remark is based on the 2.25" trackballs like they are on Centi and MC cabaret.

But uhm, Erik, since when do Japanese joysticks have a _short_ throw ?

Yep, it was.

Some japanese joysticks have a short throw, like the Seimitsu LS40.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »
Ah OK, I thought all of them had a quite large throw...