Author Topic: [flea market find] - What did you find today?  (Read 83772 times)

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: [flea market find] - What did you find today?
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
What are the 'must have' games on Master System?

Personally I think consoles can be emulated so perfectly that they don't deserve it to be bought in real any longer. With arcade games and VFD handhelds it is a total different story. But some consoles are exceptions, so I bought them anyway. I mean, a NES with an old CRT and orange gun is the only way to play Duckhunt. A Vectrex can't be emulated accurately too, and I have the best looking console just for looks, the Videopac G7200. But, the Master System has a special thing too. It is the 3D glasses. We all think 3D is a thing from this era, but go find yourself a Zaxxon for Master System with a set of 3D goggles. It rocks, and can't be emulated properly. A SMS with 3D glasses and Zaxxon 3D is somewhere on my wishlist. Problem: the Zaxxon is easy to find, but the glasses in good condition aren't.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
Last weekend it was the yearly flea-market (Rommelmarkt) at our music club again. This time I was there on the friday too. Last year I wasn't and some smart guy on this forum scored a very nice Linn record player for close to nothing.... ;)

However, this time I had to go through the stuff we had.....I noticed a Nintendo 64 and an XBOX. I decided no more game stuff so they sold (pretty quickly and I have no idea about how much they earned).

Between the loads of 80's and 90's audio "sets" which are worth very little in audio quality sense, there were a nice Onkyo and Yamaha receiver, both in classy woodgrain  ;D

Something I scored for myself was an old electrical heater. I'm not going to use it to heat something though...it has one of those tangential fans inside it. These cost a lot when bought new and they produce a lot of air flow over a wide area compared to relatively low noise.
I am looking if it may be a good idea to use it in my SW cockpit.

Also, when the market was almost at it's end I opened a couple of the left over CRT TVs to get some of these out of them:

I need some for Franck's WG6100 since it has none (!) and I got three for spare. Regretfully none of these TVs had convergence strips.

I must say we sold a lot of CRT TVs, most to immigrants who are traders. Not sure if they send them to their original country or something...but we are happy with them :)

However, the biggest find for me was a very nice receiver I had been looking for for some time. A Marantz 2226B.
This one is from the era that Marantz was still designed in the US and built in Japan and is seen as one of the best quality audio equipment ever built. The sound is reported to be very good and warm....here is an internet picture of one:

I love the blue scale lighting. The one I've got is missing a foot (easy fix) and most of the lamps are defective. Already found them on the internet though. The volume and balance pots will require a very thorough cleaning too, Robin already gave me some tips about that...

The front of mine is almost mint. I see no scratches, all buttons etc. are there. Maybe a bit of cleaning required but that's it. Found a date saying it was built in 1977.

I hope to install this in the game room to have some really fitting music equipment there :) Can't wait to give it a test run on my B&W 600's though :P

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:29:14 PM by Level42 »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »
Great find André.
My brother had a Marantz tape player. I remember we used it to repair... tapes for computers! Let me explain that  ;D  :arrow:
I had tapes full of *cough cough* copied games for my Schneider CPC464 (Amstrad is the UK/French name). Some tapes I got were 'unreadable' by the computer ... result of copy of a copy of a copy of the original games  :P
With the help of that magical Marantz, we saved some of these tapes... by increasing the level during the copy on the target tape!
It sounds stupid and so simple by now, but at the time... I saw that Marantz like ...the savior of my games!  ;D
By the way, my brother wasn't happy I was using its 'high end' audio equipment for a such purpose  :roll: ;D

Anyway, I love the idea to use vintage hardware in a vintage game room of course.... sounds so logical after all :) Your 'high end' Marantz will rock in your game room!

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 06:55:56 PM »
I buy this on the same flea market andre  8)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
@Bruno: Hah, great story !! I bet some of those tapes had been copied with tape-decks that could do hi-speed dubbing. I remember a guy at school used about 8 or so of these to run production runs of bootleg "hit parade" tapes. He earned some nice money with it ! Of course I was to scared to do stuff like that...didn't want to get busted ! He used cheap-ass tape decks though, as usual with compact cassette there were speed differences and head-alignment differences not to mention the Dolby noise reduction problems...

You know what the first Basic program was that I wrote for my Atari 600XL ? A tape copy program ! :)
I "stole" some code from a program that wrote bytes to (and read from) tape. What it basically did was simply opening a channel for reading from tape, reading the "file" byte by byte into a string array (RAM) and once it was complete it could do it the other way around. To my utter surprise it actually worked ! The main reason for needing this was that (unlike the C64 f.i.) the Atari could boot from tape. This prevented normal copying of those files, but it worked fine with my Basic program. The great advantage of this was that it produced fresh copies :)

Man....those were the days....waiting 20 minutes to get Pitfall II loaded....the + about that was that you didn't just put it down and quickly loaded up another game.... ;)

I have plans to build the Marantz in the middle wall of the game room (where the power switches are). That way I will only have the front and controls there and the "rest" in the storage ;) The edge of the front plate is perfect for this :P

@Robin, yeah I remember having seen it, I didn't sell it though. I do think there was yet another Marantz tape deck but in less condition...congrats !!! :) (By the way, clever to send your friend to "fool" me  ;) ;)  ;D ;D ;D LOL !)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »
@Bruno: Hah, great story !! I bet some of those tapes had been copied with tape-decks that could do hi-speed dubbing. I remember a guy at school used about 8 or so of these to run production runs of bootleg "hit parade" tapes. He earned some nice money with it ! Of course I was to scared to do stuff like that...didn't want to get busted ! He used cheap-ass tape decks though, as usual with compact cassette there were speed differences and head-alignment differences not to mention the Dolby noise reduction problems...

Look what i just found in my attic...  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2012, 09:08:04 PM »
LOL !

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
I buy this on the same flea market andre  8)

Hey, it looks like the model I'm talking about... and the famous 'level record' knobs!  :P

I remember a guy at school used about 8 or so of these to run production runs of bootleg "hit parade" tapes. He earned some nice money with it ! Of course I was to scared to do stuff like that...didn't want to get busted !

In Belgium & France, the most famous music compilation series were the DISCOVER BASTOS... but maybe in other countries?  :arrow:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2012, 11:48:15 AM »
Received new lamps and feet from Germany and installed them:

The blue scale looks totally horny IMHO....only it's very hard to make a good pic...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »
those lights have something magical !

I love it !

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
Got this famous PAC-MAN board game this morning  :arrow:

2 euro... not too bad.  :pac:  :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: 8)

eldiau

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »
Hahaha nice! I remeber playing it as a kid, It must still be in my parents basament.

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »
I did not knew, but there is also a Zaxxon and a Q*bert one.

mumboking

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
My mum has the Pacman and Frogger board games.
I enjoy reading about arcade cabinets. I don't own one though... :(

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2012, 08:10:40 PM »
Nice stuff found today. It was the flea market in my own street!  8)

2 arcade monitors TV, 1 Sega GAME GEAR, an AC adapter & 12 games.

Total : 27€  :)