Author Topic: Finally, My dream Is Coming True - Part 1  (Read 27511 times)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
Finally, My dream Is Coming True - Part 1
« on: May 12, 2007, 12:41:10 AM »
Hello everyone out there on the Dragon's Lair Fans Board!..   I have a cool story to tell, Kinda long introduction, but if I drone on and on, forgive me    :D

Like all of you who love videogames to the MAX... I love them too. and can't get  enough of them.   From the first time I saw Asteroids at my local skating rink in 1979, I was hooked. :lol:  :lol:

As a kid I starved at school, because I spent my lunch money at the arcade!  As the months (years) went by, I hated it when they switched out machines and you never saw ones you liked ever again!  I really REALLY miss the days when you could go to Pizza Hut, and there was GALAGA in the corner right next to the jukebox, just DYING to be played!!!!!   I miss the days when you could go to the 7-11 store and they had a tiny arcade room in the back!!!!  you would walk in the store and see the flikcering screens just calling you back there..    :D  :D

Seeing that this was my all time favorite thing to do,  in 1991  (when I finally had some hard earned $$$) I set out to find me a Dragon's Lair, It was hard, but I found one.. I restored it, doesn't look original, but it's great! Later, I found a few more machines, not in the best shape but playable and fun.  Also in 1991, I believe the best game ever came out.. Sonic The Hedgehog.. I love the game soooo much, I started collecting everything videogame related,  wheather it be a Sonic The Hedgehog figure or a Nintendo Neon Sign.

At the time I was living with my parents, so I could spend all I wanted on my geekeyness!  :lol:   But I was having one small problem... R O O M  !
 I had ran out.  So I stared storing everying away I got, with the hopes of one day having a little room 8)   to put it in one day.

Jumping to the future.. .  (2001) I got married to a wonderful girl who put up with my crazyness.   After a few years of saving, the time finally came for us to build our house!  and the only way I would have my dream game room was to  include it in the mortgage.

CONSTRUCTION PHASE:

10 - 9- 2006:

The following Pix shows the Foundation prep:  

The Foundation had to be raised 24'' due to low lying conditions.

As you can see the house is progressing faster than the gameroom,  The homebuilder requested that the framers finish first before the metal building people came in...

Now the raised pad is ready:

11-18-2006:

The Next Pix shows the beams placed, the foundation form placed and the concrete poured:

Arrruggghhh.... :evil:   The rain started during the concrete pour... took all day to smooth out... Should've only took an hour.  Concrete has to be perfect for placement of carpet!!!.. Finally the rain let up, and this is the result:!!  
12-12-2006:

SOON:  The grand entrance to "Yesterdays"  (more on the name later)  :)

FRAMING BEGINS:  

1-13-2007

As you can see here, I chose to use a METAL BUILDING.  To use a "normal" construction, with wood stud walls and roof shingles was a much higher price!!!  I just used the thickest available insulation for the walls, and matched the metal colors to the house..  Also, It is just as strong if not stronger structure!, No worry about leaks, ( sealed up tight) termites, or flooding!!!

Next Stages Of Framing:

Here I am with a SMILE!!!  

Walls Now Start...

2-8-2007

Electric Service is Connected to building:

2-10-2007

Walls almost complete, Roof begins, as well as electrical wiring, Notice how thick the insulation is...  Also, the insulation is  plastic backed, giving the appearance of drywall.

These outlets surround the room, notice the switch, it will make it easy to turn on and off the games!

Here's the Current Exterior View:   :D  :D  :D

2-20-2007:

2-22-07  Air Conditioning and Carpet on the SAME DAY!!!!   :D  :D

Carpet Installation like this is very hard... matching up all those shapes & colors.. Cool Fact:  I chose this carpet for 2 reasons... It's ACTUAL Arcade Carpet & it GLOWS under Blacklights!!!!  

Hard to believe that this is a 2 ton A/C & Heater!!!

Here are a few quick peeks of the finished outside:

To Be Continued!!!!....  Much MUCH MORE TO COME...   :D

Please check in for updates in the "Final Part" posting. Thank you very much for reading my post on my dream coming true!!

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 03:06:37 AM »
Hi Sonic 1992.
I love it!! This is fantastic, I can't wait to see the rest of the photo-story.
Alex

arcadefever

• View Profile
    • http://www.arcadefever.net
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 08:01:09 AM »
:shock:   wowwwwwwwww this is SICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

ElPancho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »
Fantastic job, congratulations ! Same goes for me too: can't wait to see the rest.
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Pac Man
Black Knight pinball
On the way: Daytona USA

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 08:24:07 PM »
Bazza,

Congratulations man, you have really dived in at the deep end and came out the other end, thats a  lot of hard work, I cannot wait to see it full of cabs,  Hats off to you mate....and congratulations on finding a women that understands :D

-Jas
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 07:31:10 AM »
Thanks abunch everyone!!  Hey, Finny... Yes, Thanks to my wonderful wife, Otherwise this would forever remain a dream.   Updates coming soon... been up later every night working on the next step on all the gameroom projects... Please check out the other posts too!  More to come...  :D  :D

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 01:25:59 AM »
Hi Sonic,
A couple of things:
Again, congrats on this great gameroom you are building! I have been wanting to do something like this for many years but have not had the opportunity to do so. Maybe later this year I can work on something like this (doubtful, but I can still dream). I would like to ask you a lot of questions about this (mostly financial stuff, like how much does it cost to install, how are propery taxes affected by this, etc...)

My other question is since you are a big Sonic the Hedgehog fan, what do you know about a Sonic the Hedgehog redemption game that was made a while back?

Thanks, and can't wait to see the rest of the story.
Alex

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »

S.P.E.C.T.A.C.U.L.A.R   :shock:   :shock:   :shock:

Be sure sure check the next parts of that *amazing* story :

* My Dream Coming True Part 2 - The Display Cases

* My Dream Coming True Part 3 - Naming the Room/ RoadTrip!!

Thanks to share your story here  :o

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 07:38:35 AM »
Quote from: "amadama"
Hi Sonic,
A couple of things:
Again, congrats on this great gameroom you are building! I have been wanting to do something like this for many years but have not had the opportunity to do so. Maybe later this year I can work on something like this (doubtful, but I can still dream). I would like to ask you a lot of questions about this (mostly financial stuff, like how much does it cost to install, how are propery taxes affected by this, etc...)

My other question is since you are a big Sonic the Hedgehog fan, what do you know about a Sonic the Hedgehog redemption game that was made a while back?

Thanks, and can't wait to see the rest of the story.
Alex

Hello, Thank you for the kind words!  :D
Yes, I'd be happy to answer your questions...  

As I stated earlier in this post, I chose to use what's basically known as a "Metal building"  This is WAY less expensive than conventional wood frame etc.  My cost on my building was 23,000.00  ... NOT including  the electrical wiring, A/C,  Carpet.  You can get way more square footage this way, If you don't mind the metal building look.

Luckily, we had a friend to help with the electrical and saved alot of $$$$!

As for property tax situations... This will depend on where you live. Laws vary greatly on location, city, state, and of course your home country.  Basically what I've heard, it will not be considered any more taxable square footage on your home UNLESS it's considered "liveable Space"  

Which I was told requires running water & a restroom,  I would NOT include water or a restroom anyway to prevent the catastrophe of any leaking water pipes.

As for my tax situation,  On my final survey, (when we closed ) my building is listed as "Garage"   No problem here!!!

About the Sonic The Hedgehog Redemption Game.. Yes! I know of it.  I DO verymuch want one for my collection. But I haven't seen one in years, (at least 9 or more) except for eBay.. and it is ALWAYS too far away to get it.  and it's usually got the crap beat out of it.  :cry:

I was very busy this weekend in Yesterdays  :D  :D   More updates to follow shortly!!!  

Any more questions, Please ask!!

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »
Thanks Sonic,
I look forward to seeing the rest of your story.
Alex

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 05:56:51 PM »
News, Update! Bump  :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Finally, My dream Is Coming True - Part 1
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 01:23:53 AM »
So how does this look at this moment ?

Wow, I wish I could have that kind of space....
You must have very rocky ground there to be able to simply build a floor on top of the ground.

I only have very little space but my Gameroom is going to be nice for me anyway:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=85528.0

I was wondering if you have some left-over carpet :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Finally, My dream Is Coming True - Part 1
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »
Thanks, Whaahahahahahaha, I used to work for ADT !

Almost 4 years as a Service Technician (NOT installing them though :) ). My first job.

Back then I got an offer to move to the US for a job at ADT there. It was quite interesting in pay. Home provided, car provided etc. If I had been single, I probably now would be living there.......... :roll:

At least no-one's going to get in there unnoticed :)

Fabulous game room. I totally love the Nintendo-Mario neon sign. Is that original ?