Author Topic: Atari Dragons Lair  (Read 33362 times)

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
Re: Atari Dragons Lair
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
Teo, could this be a Software Corner "1st press" LaserDisc ?

I don't think so. I'm confident it is a genuine SC repro one.
Bye,

Matteo

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
@forcefulfil
When you have the disc, please TEST it !
Then tell us what's the frame number of the attract scene very first frame...

Marco"MacDLSA", Daphne Team
irc[dot]enterthegame[dot]com , channels #Daphne / #Lasergames

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
Ok, it's a repro.
This is a Philips disc which was re-marked by the SoftwareCorner "chief", a german man whose name is...
Dirk !
:D

Marco"MacDLSA", Daphne Team
irc[dot]enterthegame[dot]com , channels #Daphne / #Lasergames

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »
Ok, it's a repro.
This is a Philips disc which was re-marked by the SoftwareCorner "chief", a german man whose name is...
Dirk !
:D

Correct, as stated in this link a few messages ago.   ;)

Matteo

forcefulfil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 09:13:04 AM »
Hey Guys,
This arrived this morning  ;D Brand new and un-opened just like the seller said.
Thx Matteo for the link  ;)

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 06:02:41 PM »
Hey Guys,
This arrived this morning  ;D Brand new and un-opened just like the seller said.
Thx Matteo for the link  ;)

Cool! Now let's see some action with that machine please, Daphne is waiting for you  ;)

Matteo

forcefulfil

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »
Hi Guys,
I made a little progress today i put the ar2 and game pcb in the cab,tested voltages etc so i switched it on and got a "P"on the game pcb,which i thought was a "PASS"
i have yet to finish servicing the laser disk player,hence not yet fitted in the cab.
there are a few questions to ask really,firstly is the display on the monitor the correct one to show the game PCB has booted correctly?

im also missing the video lead from the laser disk player to the game PCB (video),im sure i can make one of these.
Also i cannot easily workout were the laser disk player gets it power from?am i correct thinking it plugs into the power brick?
there is a spare slot on the brick although the plug on my laserdisk player is different.
its the VP 931/17 according to the label on the back 110v

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »
Hi Guys,
I made a little progress today i put the ar2 and game pcb in the cab,tested voltages etc so i switched it on and got a "P"on the game pcb,which i thought was a "PASS"

That's "PASS", correct.

firstly is the display on the monitor the correct one to show the game PCB has booted correctly?

No, there is something wrong. The game without laserdisc player is supposed to stay on the "Dragon's Lair - Please StandBy" blue screen as shown in the first seconds of this video.
BTW, Bruno, when will we be able to embed Youtube videos in this forum?  ;)

Also i cannot easily workout were the laser disk player gets it power from?am i correct thinking it plugs into the power brick?
there is a spare slot on the brick although the plug on my laserdisk player is different.

Yes, there's a three pin connector on the Atari power block which delivers 115 V AC to supply the original laserdisc player.

its the VP 931/17 according to the label on the back 110v

Beware, the 22VP931/17 is a totally different player. It is NTSC only and has a custom parallel port to control it via computer. It was used in other games, such as Firefox, Freedom Fighter and Road Runner prototype.
Take a look here.

Matteo

forcefulfil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
Thx Matteo for your technical help  ;D
Its a shame then about the laser disk player as it was sold to me as from a Dragons Lair Atari,being a noob i took there word. :oops:
Its also bad my pcb is not booting correctly,i need to investigate this a little further.
Any ideas on what may be causing this?
I will have a look over the game PCB tonight and see what i can find.
many thx
Phil

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »
Item 380361653308 on eBay could work with a small interface, but looks like it's not working.

Matteo

forcefulfil

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 12:34:06 AM »
Thx Matteo for the link,
I won the L.D.P. and it has arrived,it has a power pcb fault,so im looking it over atm.
There are 2 transistors dead on it so ive still got to check the whole pcb over,may take a day ot two.
Ordered a cap kit for the Game P.C.B. too and it has 4 damaged ceramic disk capacitors.
Im struggling to trace these as there 1uf 50v +/-20%
Phil

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »
Thx Matteo for the link,
I won the L.D.P. and it has arrived,it has a power pcb fault,so im looking it over atm.
There are 2 transistors dead on it so ive still got to check the whole pcb over,may take a day ot two.
Ordered a cap kit for the Game P.C.B. too and it has 4 damaged ceramic disk capacitors.
Im struggling to trace these as there 1uf 50v +/-20%
Phil

The power supply of those laserdisc players was a common point of failure. If the dead transistors are driving the turntable motor check if it is shorted or not before switching it back on, otherwise they will blow up immediately again. After years of running those motors used to develop worn out brushes that after a while broke down causing a short circuit.
About your game pcb, if you're talking about the disc orange capacitors that are all over the board, those are simply filter caps (0,1 micro F) and the board should work the same without them. They just filter inputs and Vcc on all integrated circuits. It is a good idea to repair the broken ones though.
Give a good check at all socketed ICs. Remove them from the sockets, give a good clean and make sure the sockets are good. I've had some pcbs in the past do strange things because of bad sockets. If necessary, replace them.
Good luck,

Matteo

forcefulfil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »
Hi Guys,
This sadly was shelved for some time,however i have put some serious time into getting one of the two pcb,s i have running!!
and the end result is good 

I have spent hours on this pcb,but now is running and ready for the Lasderdisk player :lol:

I have here a Pioneer LD-V4300D and a Software corner  disk,My next Question is can i use this player??
or can i adapt the cab to recieve it?
I have sourced the Original Player but still requires work,lots of work >:(

any help will be much appreciated,im almost there!!
thx
phil

forcefulfil

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
Just had a good read throught the site,thx to Darth Nuno for his previous posts,and easy to read drawing building his. ;D
i have all parts here except the IC,now ordered from e-bay!
Also a big thx To Matteo for designing the "EURODL"
watch this spaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :twisted:
Phil

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »
Good job so far. Good luck with the EuroDL, otherwise you can buy a LaserCon which is fully compatible with your LDP. Don't forget to double check the communication settings of the player in its service menu. They have to match EuroDL/LaserCon expectations.

Matteo