Author Topic: Cap Kit Time - Gran Trak 10  (Read 9176 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Cap Kit Time - Gran Trak 10
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:06:22 PM »

because i had already set up my soldering equipment, i thought it would be a good time to do some cap kits on various monitors. one of those monitors, an old 23'' motorola xm700, is installed in my beloved gran trak 10 - the first ever driving game and the second cab i picked up for €12,50 on ebay (wrong category, horrible description). i wasn't into the pictured roadtrip business back then, but i do have a photo of the cabinet after unloading it at my mother's place (in my former living-room)

not a lot of capacitors to replace on those old b/w monitor boards - a mere six pieces!

today, i put the circuit board back into the monitor and anxiously turned on the machine :arrow:

the picture has gone from this ... :(

... to that! :)

wonderful, just wonderful! there are still some problems with the orientation, but this will (hopefully) only be a matter of some knob turning. i haven't credited the game and tried whether the pcb was still working, but for now it looks great and i'm one happy camper!

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Cap Kit Time - Gran Trak 10
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »
Not bad...not bad... :)

Were you finished replacing them on that picture ? Because I still see 1 old one... :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:07:26 PM »
Were you finished replacing them on that picture ? Because I still see 1 old one... :)

i was - which one are you talking about?

i got the cap kit from bob roberts and asked on klov about those other capacitors and the guys over there told me that those caps are either film caps or polypropylene - whatever that means ... ???
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:51:38 PM »
Mmmm, I thought the one on the top-left to the right of that potmeter (marked 0,47/630) but that could indeed be a different kind of cap.
Anyway the result is very worth while ! :)

Was the inversion of the "color" also caused by the cap-kit ? That's pretty impressive :)

mchay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
It's literally like night and day - great job :)

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
Yes, very impressive improvement!!!
Have You Played Atari Today ?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »
great, youre starting to get the hang of it  ;)

You also see that the originals where axial caps, and you installed radials

And as you can see , not a problem, they are the same  8)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
Was the inversion of the "color" also caused by the cap-kit ? That's pretty impressive :)

yes it was! turning the potis on the original setup only made the screen go even brighter, after the installation of the new caps this is exactly how the screen looked. i was blown away myself. keeping the fingers crossed that the game is working. i'll probably try that tomorrow!

great, youre starting to get the hang of it  ;)

absolutely! and to be honest: from being one of the most hated arcade-related jobs this has become a lot of fun to do. i like it when the solder starts to melt, when the old caps come out and the way the new solder flows to the joint - very relaxing to watch 8) never thought i would say that ...

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 10:43:42 PM »
Ully.

I love your Gran Trak 10. Think of me if you decide to let it go. I would have it :D

Oliver

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 10:55:02 PM »
Ully.

I love your Gran Trak 10. Think of me if you decide to let it go. I would have it :D

Oliver
Hey Ully, here's you chance to get the Pong....maybe Olly will trade it for the GranTrak  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 06:29:47 AM »
.... i like it when the solder starts to melt, when the old caps come out and the way the new solder flows to the joint - very relaxing to watch 8) never thought i would say that ...

and don't forget the loveley smell of old solder  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 08:24:47 AM »
Hey Ully, here's you chance to get the Pong....maybe Olly will trade it for the GranTrak  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

or for his cosmic chasm ;D - still my favorite vectrex game btw!