Author Topic: [Restoration] let's play a RALLY - who needs PONG?  (Read 45045 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] let's play a RALLY - who needs PONG?
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 04:53:36 PM »

finally, a real update on my rally restoration!!!

unfortunately, rich never came around with the silkscreening of the panel (and i probably have not pushed him hard enough because he's got so many projects he's working on), therefore i decided to go another route (for now). when etienne announced that he was going to do a new run of his aluminium stickers, he kindly offered to print the control panel text on alu as well - which i happily accepted.

today, something promising showed up at my doorstep :arrow:

but i was only happy for a few second until i saw this :arrow:

let's open it up and see if the alu pieces have been damaged as well

DANG!!! >:(

similar damage to the coin insert stickers

fotunately, etienne had also printed a spare set for me which allowed me to practice a little bit. i've never worked with alu stickers of that size before and believe me, you have to be VERY careful, otherwise they are going to wrinkle quickly and you'll see every single dent / scratch immediately, so let's be extremely precautious here!

because the aluminium stickers are not transparent (and therefore difficult to align) and because the holes are not pre-cut, the first order of business is to hand-cut out the squares where the control panel bolts will eventually go through

with the squares "opened", i can now align the piece of metal with the aluminium sticker from the back

i like where this is going :-*! note that i've asked etienne to change the "25C" text to "TOKEN" because i'll be using my tokens to credit the game, not quarters!

this was just the warm up, now on to the control panel itself: protective backing removed, squares cut out - waiting for the metal piece

only a few more holes to cut ...

... and we're done!

looks like we have a winner!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

and what about that bend i showed you earlier in the corner? almost invisible, i can totally live with that!!!

i can't thank etienne enough for vectoring, adjusting and printing the overlay for me - hell of a job, my friend! i'm thinking of either spraying a protective film on top of the overlay OR a second layer of transparent vinyl on top, but i'll have to do some testing first, don't want to ruin the amazing result i have so far!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 06:56:34 PM »
I like it !  :pac:

very very nice results !  :spaceace: :spaceace:

the dent came out very well after all to my surprise.
It is indeed super fragile material, the surface really needs to be free of any debris, or you will see it immediately.

Good job Ully !

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
Yeah, a really nice and smart replacement, congrats for both of you. :spaceace:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 06:58:07 AM »
Awesome stuff, as supposed to come from Ully :)

What about those rusty rails you have shipped in the beginning?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 09:00:30 PM »
What about those rusty rails you have shipped in the beginning?

you mean those? :arrow:

well, they came back, but it took close to forever. but as we all know, good things come to those who wait and here are the results :arrow:

unfortunately, the rust had eaten away portions of the metal, which of course shows in the re-plated rails. don't know if there's something i could have done like fill the holes, but honestly i don't care about it that much, i love the fresh shinyness of the metal and that's all the matters - nothing else does :P!

what do you think? would this have been fixable? would it have been worth it? after all, it's only the legs the cabinet is standing on ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
Leave it like that, some original wear is a must have on these old classics. ;)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »
Wow, you should have warned to wear sunglasses before looking at the picture!  8)

Really, they're looking great. Of course you could have sanded them down to an even surface but I'm with Béla here: leave them like they are now. At least a little piece of the cab should show it's age ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
Really, they're looking great. Of course you could have sanded them down to an even surface but I'm with Béla here: leave them like they are now. At least a little piece of the cab should show it's age ;)

don't know if i COULD have sanded every single flake of rust off, even if i had wanted to. and even if i had managed to do so, i would not have known what type of filler to use, because re-chroming metal pieces is a chemical process as far as i know and who knows what happens to the filler once that process has been initiated. therefore, i'm with you, guys, the rails looks nice and shiny, but they do show their battle marks!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »
Yeah I agree. The only worry: won't the rusting go on from the inside ? Maybe they should be "Tectyled" on the inside ?

Nic-fryer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2013, 12:32:51 AM »
Bump
- BLANK -

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

Nic-fryer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
Bump

eh ... why?

Sorry... I wrote this in the wrong thread, but while I'm here, is there an update?
- BLANK -

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
Sorry... I wrote this in the wrong thread, but while I'm here, is there an update?

THERE IS!!! RALLY IS FINISHED!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

let me start with some old before pictures :arrow:

and here's what the cabinet looks now: nice, clean AND fully working!!!

fully restored control panel (new controllers, new screws and of course hot new overlay)

time to play some rally! one player or two player - that is the question

a big THANK YOU goes out to andreas "speleo" for taking care of the pcb multiple times and to etienne "macgyver" for re-drawing, fitting and printing the control panel. this game would not be finished without you!!!

thx to everyone else for all your nice comments, your input and your support - this forum simply is THE BEST!!!

shrunkenmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »
That is beautiful, well done sir!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »
Sheer beauty !!!!! Congratulations !!! Definitly one of the nicer looking bootleg Pong's !