Author Topic: [Restoration] let's play a RALLY - who needs PONG?  (Read 45018 times)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] let's play a RALLY - who needs PONG?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
First take out thats T moulding !  ;)
You can place a bet on that! ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 01:27:25 PM »
before you guys start to burn my thread as well :twisted: here's a short unhappy update

yesterday morning i started up the machine again to shoot a short video for andreas and to check voltages. the first thing i realized was that there was a display error on the higher numbers. then when i started a two-player game the ball, the player 1 paddle and the sounds were missing, the only thing i could do was move the player two paddle. when i flicked the switch for a one-player game, nothing happened at all :'(

i immediately sent out a cry for help to andreas and he asked me if i could send him EVERYTHING over - except for the tv and the cabinet ;), so this morning i gutted the cabinet, packed it up and brought it to the post office. if we're lucky, he'll receive it just in time for the new year! :)

ladies and gentlemen, may i present to you: one rally game :arrow:

the cabinet is now completely empty - well, at least almost :-*

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »
Well , now nothing is in the way that may interrupt you while cleaning the inside   8)

And i dont know if it needs alot of "bodywork" , but that also is more handy when everything is out...

ps dont vacuum the cat  :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
And i dont know if it needs alot of "bodywork" , but that also is more handy when everything is out...

not a lot! i'll post more on that later. this is definitely going to be my cab with the least amount of bodywork!

ps dont vacuum the cat  :D

;D like this? ;D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »

the restoration continues ...

time to tackle the control panel - here's a shot of it in its rough original form :arrow:

as you can see, the writing in the center is still nice, but the areas around the player controls are not only dirty, but deeply scratched!

there's a metal shaft (which blocks the knobs during gameplay) which prevents me from cleaning the control panel perfectly (and which hinders the continuing restoration process). for that reason, this shaft has to go! the question is: HOW?

let's have a lok at the back of the panel! you can see that the shaft is somehow bolted in, but it also has a thread inside, which means all i need to do is get it off and find a small enough screw to attach it again later ... piece of cake 8)

bring out the heavy tools! :twisted:

those should do the trick!

yepp, works like a charm (for your info, the screw isn't screwed in 100% on that photo; when it is, it holds the shaft firmly in place) :)

here we go, a flat control panel! now the big question: how do we continue from here? well, i've done a lot of digging and asking around before continuing and here's where we stand: the panel needs to be cleaned thoroughly, the old paint / writing has to be removed, the control panel has to be anodized afterwards and once all that is done, rich from thisoldgame.com has agreed to silkscreen the entire panel for me (and it won't cost a lot because it's just one color). this is going to look brand new afterwards and it will be very durable :-*

all i have to do is provide rich with a hi-res scan of the panel, he can get all the information he needs out of it! off to the scanner it goes ...

because the panel didn't fit on my scanner completely, i had to do it in two passes and stitch the two pieces together afterwards - it worked extremely well!

after i had rich's ok that he can work with that file, i started removing the old ink. i got a tip from the italian collector alessio who re-did his panel as well (with printed transparencies) that i should use aceton for the job. this stuff doesn't smell healthy, so always wear a mask and protective gloves and open the windows :ghost:

you need a lot of elbow grease, but the ink comes off eventually

after using up a couple of those cheap chinese magic sponges ...

... here's where we stand! as you can see, the heavy scratches still remain (wasn't expecting anything else), but they will be covered for the most part by the players' knobs 8)

same problem with the coin insert plate where someone scratched off the 25c lettering. unfortunately, this won't be covered by anything and if i sand it down i'll remove the aluminum structure. i haven't been able to find a convincing solution yet, but i'm working on it as we speak ;)

this is where i stand with the control panel, let's see what the cabinet has to offer!

because it's completely empty, i'm seizing the opportunity to repair the damages to the cabinet. fortunately, it is in nice shape, only two spots on the front which need fixing: right above the coin door ...

... and on the lower left corner

the usual "after the filling / sanding job" pictures (i've added a one euro coin to demonstrate the size of the damages)

now, what to do with those spots? my first idea was to use different shades of brown pens to simply color the woodfiller ...

... but that didn't produce the desired result :-[ :lol:

so i did what i always do ;): i ordered a couple of woodgrain vinyl samples (which looked like they could be a nice match judging from internet pictures - well, some are a little bit off ;D)

i found one which was pretty close to the original - which left me with two choices:
(a) order a full  sheet (1 square meter) of the stuff and re-do the entire front (which would have cost me around 50 euros because it's high-quality 3m stuff)
(b) try to find a piece within the sample which would fit in nicely with the surroundings (color and shapewise)

i opted for choice (b) because this doesn't cost me anything and i can always switch to option (a) afterwards if it fails! so what i did was draw a template with sandwich paper and copy it onto the 3m stuff (which i had cut into pieces so that the cut-out piece would eventually (hopefully) match the original vinyl best!

and the result was absolutely convincing!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

well, at least for the coin door area. it doesn't look as good in the lower right corner (because the brown on the left is too dark), so i will try to find some other woodgrain samples hoping to get a better match. but for now, i'm happy with that solution and you mustn't forget: this spot is in the lower left corner at the bottom of the cab, probably noone is going to notice anyway, but you should know me by now ...  ;)

to be continued ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »
Thats looking AWSOME !

ps why not drilled the "rivet" part of the pin ?  it looks like brute force you used on the pin..

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »
ps why not drilled the "rivet" part of the pin ?  it looks like brute force you used on the pin..

it looks like brute force, but in fact that rivet part was very thin, so all i had to do was press a little bit and off it came - very easy!

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »

and the result was absolutely convincing!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

WOW!  That turned out incredibly well!  Nice work  8)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Nice indeed!
But, Who needs a PONG, and who needs a RALLY??..

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »

not a lot of progress on this (but hopefully soon), i just wanted to let you guy know of the probably fastest delivery from the usa to germany ever - i call it LIGHTNING FAST!!!

because the pots on my control panel are not working properly, i need to replace them. the best solution i found were replacement pots from ram controls. while a lot of people (me included) had a loooooot of trouble with stuff from dave lately (mildly put), i tried it again with another email address from someone who is supposed to help dave out with his delivery problems. i got a reply immediately along with a valid tracking number and from here on out everything went lightning fast :arrow:

it took a mere 2 (in words: TWO) days from the usa to my doorstep! have i said "lightning fast" before? ;)

inside the huge box, something not so huge :P

and here they are: two brand-new freshly-manufactured potentiometers!!!

if only dave and ram controls would work like that all the time. this time however, i can't complain at all, this time i reward him with an official seal :arrow:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 09:05:36 PM »
You don't want to know what it costs to get it over so fast....I'm quite sure he's loosing money on these kind of shipments/orders.

I've had the same with some of David's stuff...2 days.

But you made a wise decision. Those pots are even better quality then what f.i. Atari used for the SW yoke...you can simply FEEL it :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:08:29 PM by Level42 »

Nic-fryer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
I know it's been years, but is there any updates on this. It was getting interesting.
- BLANK -

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
I know i have vectored the CP and Coin insert plate, but for the rest i dont know...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
man, it's been TWO YEARS!!! time flies ...

anyway, beleive it or not, i cleaned up my workspace this weekend and stumbled upon the Rally cabinet. Thought to myself "you need to finish this" - and this is what I'm going to do. It's been way too long ...

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »
man, it's been TWO YEARS!!! time flies ...

anyway, beleive it or not, i cleaned up my workspace this weekend and stumbled upon the Rally cabinet. Thought to myself "you need to finish this" - and this is what I'm going to do. It's been way too long ...

Yeah! another resto thread :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: