Author Topic: [Restoration] let's play a RALLY - who needs PONG?  (Read 44848 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Restoration] let's play a RALLY - who needs PONG?
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »

let me start this restoration thread by shouting something out loudly :arrow:

2 1/2 weeks of christmas holidays fun - i'm loving it!!! :-*

this gives me a lot of time to work on various projects - one of them being my recently aquired RALLY

as always, i'm starting at the very bottom of the cab, but this time no old worn leg levelers to be replaced, but some rusty rails serving as the cabinet's legs

in detail

as you can see, a simple polishing job won't do the trick on those rails

so i'm wrapping them up ...

... and off they go for a shiny chrome-plating job at my favorite metal finisher. it's going to take a while though, because those metal finishers are always booked out many weeks in advance, that's why i don't expect the package to return before the end of january (or even later). but i can wait - as long as the result forces me to wear sunglasses 8)

up next, the dirty hitachi television set

remember: the picture was a little bit distorted and shaky, after all that tv is 37+ years old. that's why i've decided to cap kit the entire chassis. the problem: i didn't have a manual and i didn't want to pull out all the capacitors to mark their values. i wasn't able to find downloadable schematics on the web, but i found something even better - and just in time for the christmas holidays it arrived :arrow:

inside, a photofact folder of the hitachi television installed in my rally cabinet

this manual includes schematics, detailed hi-res pictures of all the components / parts and - of course - an extensive parts list. well worth its money! :)

with that in my hands, i pulled the chassis from the tv and checked / unchecked the capacitors in need of replacement

with the help of the parts list (and a lot of good input from you guys), i made my own cap kit list and placed the order with rs online. a lightning fast delivery dropped something off at my doorstep just one day later! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

inside, (hopefully) everything that will help me bring new life into that old television

up next: the cap kit and the control panel

to be continued ...

oh, i almost forgot it :arrow:

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] let's play a RALLY - who needs PONG?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »
You made a nice job for yourself for Xmas, lol! ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
i can't wait for the rest of the story ully !  :spaceace:

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:57:58 PM »
Damn! that is some hard work + many hours laying ahead! - hehe, what else is holidays for? (HCG!!!!!)

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 03:26:38 PM »
Recapping electronics is one of my most favorite past times ..   ;D  <seriously!>

Enjoy!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
Recapping electronics is one of my most favorite past times ..

and i totally hate it, because i'm not that well-versed in it. if you're bored, come on over - i have plenty of games which could use a cap kit!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »
Come on Ully !, its a good practice to increase your soldering skills !

Seriously, I like it too, and if i was in the position of a "free man" i would come over to germany right away  ;)
but (un)fortunaly i have a wife, son, job, and other things that keep me busy here :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
Christmas Holiday will be Arcade Life Style to the max!!!  :-* Go Uly Gooo  :)

:spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »

the restoration continues ...

because the capacitor delivery from rs online was lightning fast, i didn't want to lag behind with the cap kit. but before tackling that job, i had to clean up that filthy television set! here's a couple of well-loved before and after shots :arrow:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

looking at the pictures i realized that there still was dirt in the plastic grills - so i took out the toothpicks and cleaned that out as well. the television is now as clean as it can be (or at least as clean as i'd like it to be - you can always be even more anal ;)), but believe me: IT WAS DAMN DIRTY!!! :arrow:

up next, i found some strange items swimming in my bathtub :shock: :ghost:

"what's that?", you might be wondering. well, since the cap kit consists of many different capacitors and i didn't want to lose track of the job, i took out an old assortment box, cleaned it up a little bit (in the tub), labeled the individual drawers and put the capacitors in there. nothing can beat a good filing system!

then i set up a temporary working space in my kitchen ...

... and put up an overview of the capacitors and their locations on the chassis on the wall!

old and new capacitors side by side - still interesting (at least for me) to see those differences in size

there were only two capacitors which i didn't replace: the non-polarized one (the big black one in the picture's background) ...

... and a smaller one hiding under that metal cover. i could have removed the top metal piece ...

... but would not have been able to reach the capacitor's legs without removing / unsoldering the counter metal piece on the other side of the chassis!

hopefully everything's going to work just fine WITHOUT those two capacitors being replaced! all in all, i removed and replaced 30 cabs in total - and i have to admit: IT WAS FUN!!! great music in the background, tons of snow outside, snugly cats sleeping by my side and the prospect of a wonderful christmas dinner at my mum's place in the evening :)

two more comments:

- i can't test the function of the television as of now, because my pcb is probably stuck in the snow somewhere! (more on that later)

- the "capacitor operation" went down smoothly except for one single spot where the fresh solder simply didn't want to stick to the solder joint. any suggestions on how to make it stick?

to be continued ...

Vnera

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 01:59:45 PM »
Clean the joint. en sand it a littel. Thats what i do...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
Clean the joint. en sand it a littel. Thats what i do...

clean it with what? vinegar? aceton? coca cola? malt beer? glühwein? ;)

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
you can always add a little flux to the spot also (but sand it too).

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »
Yeah, or make a "bridge" with a piece of cable if it really dont want to stick

not the most elegant way, but if thats what it takes to connect it back into the circuit  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
you can always add a little flux to the spot also (but sand it too).

how do i add flux? and what would you use to clean the spot?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
I persume you dont have flux in liquid form at hand..