Author Topic: Let's play Berzerk ... or Frenzy!!!  (Read 6960 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Let's play Berzerk ... or Frenzy!!!
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »

although i'm still planning on having a dedicated frenzy cab in the future (in fact, i already have almost everything together to convert my second berzerk cab to frenzy, all i need to do is swap control panels with captain arcade ), i finally took the time and installed the fabolous jrok berzerk / frenzy board in my original berzerk cab. got the jrok board, got the wiring harness - we're good to go!

installation is easy, just remove a few of the original connectors and plug in the new ones

last step: attach the jrok pcb to the jamma connector!

incredible how small the replacement board is compared to the original components :shock: :shock: :shock:

powering up the machine, you can either boot to menu or directly to one of the games

let's play some frenzy!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: man, this game is much more challenging than berzerk with those reflecting walls and tons of robots on screen

to anyone who has a berzerk cab and hasn't bought the jrok board yet: GO GET IT TIGERS!!! it's a definite must for all those robot lovers out there :-*
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Berzerk ... or Frenzy!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:34:05 PM »

Great pic, "30 years of development". ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
Nice !

I see you got the adapter from Ken.

he is a very nice dude  :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »
to anyone who has a berzerk cab and hasn't bought the jrok board yet: GO GET IT TIGERS!!! it's a definite must for all those robot lovers out there Kiss
Naaahhh....had it been there when I just had found the Berzerks I would have been all over it, but there is that something extra in running original hardware if possible. It is a brilliant alternative though....Berzerk hardware is not easy to have a reliable working set....but -touch wood- mine has been rock solid the last couple of years...

What I love about this Berzerk/Frenzy board (apart from them being awesome in every way) is that it totally blew away the market for a certain ZZPU board that was WAAAAAYYY overpriced....

Did you notice the difference between "regular' Berzerk and the Slow bullets version ? It is a HUGE difference, it _totally_ changes the way you have to play the game. I _am_ thinking about doing a ROM hack so that I can switch between them....
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:04:39 PM by Level42 »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:06:52 PM »
... That looked almost too easy... got to get me one of those.... the plan of having a single original game in a dedicated cab went out the door holding hand with free space....

But I agree with you Andre, it some how cooler to know the game is running original hardware...

Maby a link to where you bought the PCB and Wire harness....
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:20:43 PM by Muerto »

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
Maby a link to where you bought the PCB and Wire harness....
https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=4569.0
https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=4784.0

I also have the Jrok itsy bitsy board, Ken's harness and an original working PCB.
Best of both worlds it is!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:48:51 PM by chrischris »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »
By far my favourite game-reading website since more then a decade is hardcoregaming 101, with tons of great 'review'  articles.  I just finished one about berzerk and frenzy.  Nice.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/berzerkfrenzy/berzerkfrenzy.htm

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »
Nice article !

Loved this bit:

The best port by far is the version developed for Atari 5200, which may be one of the best games for the platform. Not only does it do relatively well at recreating the feel of the arcade release, but it even has the digitized speech, which is pretty jarring to hear coming from an Atari 5200.

Officially the game was never released for the Atari 800 computer platform but BITD luckily there were hackers that modified 5200 games (not that much work really) to let it run on the 800 (the 5200 basically IS a A8 computer) and uh...."distributed" it so I had it in the early 80's.

Loved it, and was totally amazed it could to the speech. In fact, this is the only Berzerk I played until I got my arcade machine (or maybe one game in Funspot ;)).

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
Glad that you liked it. I am going to try out the 'robotron-style' trick (in Mame of course, I don't have the original hardware), didn't know about it.