Author Topic: Star-V by Kasco ... Impressive Japanese electro/mechanical 1975 game!!!  (Read 35216 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle

Let me show you an awesome game I met two years ago during a road trip for an other game : Star V (five) by Kasco!

First of all, check out some game play footages, in this youtube video (not done by me)  :arrow:

[click on the picture for the video]

Impressive for a 1975 mechanical game isn't it? Did you also notice the sounds... almost the sames used for Zaxxon  8)

I had never heard of this game before...but when I saw it... WOW! How does this work? How it's made ?  :o  Let's check inside   :P  :arrow:

The planet, I would say the size/weight is slightly bigger than a basket ball... see the details  :o  :-*  :arrow:

Very clean inside as you can see :

This is an ultra rare game! I didn't know at the time  :oops: I've found few pictures of this game on Internet...a cockpit version, but NO picture about this upright version! Fortunately I had time to shoot a little (less than 30 seconds)... check this video  :arrow:

[click on the picture for the video]

Do not miss at approx 40sec ... the ship moving when you die!

Regarding the cabinet itself, this one is in incredibly good condition, see  :arrow:

At the time, that cabinet was reserved for someone in UK, but the seller wasn't sure if the guy will really take it... so I didn't insist  :-\
Now I have some regret about this cabinet. Maybe I should keep contact and make a good offer on this one?
Anyway... what an incredible game don't you think?

Maybe some of you have more information about this game? Or maybe you know who is the lucky owner of this baby  ::) ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 09:40:35 AM by DarthNuno »

SeTTleR

• View Profile
Re: Star-V by Kasco ... Impressive Japanese electro/mechanical 1975 game!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
Hi,
wow never seen something like that before. That's really cool. And in such a nice condition  :o I would take that thing, if I could  ;D
`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 12:08:22 PM »
Wow Bruno.....you don't know yet, but you just helped me finally identify a game about which I have been puzzling what it was !!!!

You'll see soon what I mean (no I'm not picking one up....)

Let's just say I have some video footage of this game in action....more soon !

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »
Wow Bruno.....you don't know yet, but you just helped me finally identify a game about which I have been puzzling what it was !!!!

You'll see soon what I mean (no I'm not picking one up....)

Let's just say I have some video footage of this game in action....more soon !

I think  i know what you  mean  ;)

That planet is awsome !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »
holy smokes, that is just AWESOME! go for it, bruno, especially now since your building that new shopping mall gameroom of yours!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:16:16 AM »
I´m not a big fan of those EM games, but this looks quite cool!
Even better, you could make a spare planet out of a globe of the world, and make the major cities the targets!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

I just read this topic, and indeed, I thought the same that you were thinking. It's nice to see some other foorage of it. Amazing looking game. Is your listing of the 'identified games' now complete?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »
I didn't know that game and I saw it, and now I regret no taken more pictures / video footage of it  :oops: It's a very rare one! Almost nothing available on the net about it, and this one is the ONLY upright version I've seen (no other picture available on the Net, or didn't find them yet...)!
This is a 'made in Japan' game, so maybe our Japanese friends here may have more information about this game?

Something strange about the side art graphics  :arrow:

Why to write all these references on the side art? : NGC628, NGC5055, ...what does it means?  ???

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 03:21:16 PM »
Why to write all these references on the side art? : NGC628, NGC5055, ...what does it means?  ???

It may simply be a reference to ship registrations like in star trek (ie. NCC-1701 etc).

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Hi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »

Why to write all these references on the side art? : NGC628, NGC5055, ...what does it means?  ???

there are numbers (name) of various Galaxy

Laschek

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
All I can say is: electromechanical games simply rule!

Star V came also in a sitdown/cockpit version: (EDIT: just read that Bruno already mentioned it in his initial post  ;D)

http://marvin3m.com/arcade/kstar.htm

What puzzles me a bit that IMO the sideart looks a bit more "modern" than 1975 (esp. on the upright), more like late 70's/early 80's games.
Plus I now wonder which game (video or non-video) was the first to come in that kind of cockpit style?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:33:10 AM by Laschek »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 05:52:48 PM »
Message sent yesterday : "Hi, I went to your place last year, and I remember you had an Electro Mechanical game called 'Star-V' for sale. Do you still have it?"

Reply : "Hello, it is sold. Regards:'( :'( :'(

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
damn! :'(
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Wil2000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
That's sad, this game seemed to be pretty cool and in an incredibly good condition for its age!