Author Topic: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo  (Read 240769 times)

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
Re: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »
PM send ;) That probe is absolutely suficient ... looks like new and never used. About time to get that little thing to work ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
PM send ;) That probe is absolutely suficient ... looks like new and never used. About time to get that little thing to work ;D

pm received! the probe IS new, because i have no idea how to use it (yet) :P but since i ordered from that company anyway i thought "why not get it, i'm sure there's another german guy out there who will tell me how to use it one day!" 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »
after 3 (in words: THREE) hours on the phone this afternoon with joerg and a lot of probing, pulsing, measuring, wire hacking and schematic reading we THINK to have narrowed the problem down to the coin door and its wiring. if joerg wants to chime in and explain a little bit further, please do so ... ;) i can't thank him enough for his help so far!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »
I can try to explain a bit what we found out ;D The coinage on the JK board is a little more advanced that on other pcbs. On the poinout of the board there are three pins for each coins slot responsible for coinage. First there is the coin signal itself, coming from the coiner, on the second pin comes the coin lock signal, which goes to the lockout coils and third pin on the pcb edge connector is the one for the coin meter. If any of these are not connected or functioning right, no coins are accepted. Problem now was that Ullys coindor was not an original one ... missing counters, hacked wiring and stuff. So the pcb failed to work properly. That's a long story short. Very short. ;D

Btw. it was great fun to work with Ully ... I had some of these phone support sessions with other people and it was a real pita because they simply didn't follow the instructions. This time it was great and after an hour we got in that "tunnel" completely focused on the schematics, finding ideas and trying out stuff. That was great fun although Mrs. Caveman was a bit "irritated" that I spend the whole afternoon on the phone ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:15:44 PM by PunkRockCaveman »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2012, 07:37:49 PM »
No skype in Germany ?

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »
We think skype comes from the devil here in germany ... it's rarely used, at least not from people who wear shoes while eating their breakfast. ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
SKype or MSN could come in more handy, since you can use a webcam then..
Or do you guy's have videophones ?  ;D

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »
Hmmm .. Ully was very busy just holding the probe in one hand, wire to bridge some pins in the other. I think a webcam would have killed him or at least gave him a terrible neck injury.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2012, 09:18:55 PM »
Webcam ain't such a bad idea and using a headset with a microphone ain't that bad either - we need to think about this the next time we do this! ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
Guys.....I know we love 80's technology, but some modern things are actually pretty handy ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:57:47 PM by Level42 »

Laschek

« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
Just stumbled across this by accident:

"OK, another titbit related to Taito SJ Hardware
I found a fix for Elevator Action that wont coin up execpt using the service switch.

I found that after I converted a Tin Star back to Elevator Action using the bootleg roms, the coin inputs wouldn't work. Looking at the schematics made me realise that the link from the Counter Drive wasn't connected. All I had to do was add a link between the common and 2 and all is well."

I have no clue what he is talking about but maybe it's of any help? He also mentions a pic that he posted but there is none  ;D

stolen from here: http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php/5612-Original-Tatio-Jungle-King-Elevator-Action

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
thx sascha, although i have no idea either what that means ...  :D

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »
I haven't got anything to contribute on the tech discussion here, sorry. But my, this is surely one of the coolest - if not _the_ coolest restoration thread I've ever read. Deeply impressed by your paintwork a few pages back.
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »
I haven't got anything to contribute on the tech discussion here, sorry. But my, this is surely one of the coolest - if not _the_ coolest restoration thread I've ever read. Deeply impressed by your paintwork a few pages back.

thx man, but i'm pretty sure scr33n's paint jobs are nicer / smoother than mine, but then again i have the better color combinations :P

regarding the tech stuff: problem has been located and fixed, just can't update the thread yet because i'm still missing a crucial piece which should hopefully arrive soon!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »

while waiting for the "tech stuff" to arrive, i'm concentrating on another aspect of the artwork: the monitor bezel! in case you don't remember, i wasn't able to find a nice glass bezel for my cab (most of them are badly flaking), so i grabbed an art file from joemonkey and had it printed :arrow:

while it looked ok at first, there was some stuff which didn't make me happy, for example the masks and the tarzans at the top not "reaching" into the visible area. have a look at an original bezel to get an idea what i'm talking about :arrow:

additionally, the colors were off (too dark) and it had the instruction card "included" in the artwork, the original bezel came with a seperate card which was fixed to the bezel from the back - have a look :arrow:

because of that, i got together with our vector king etienne who kindly agreed to take on the task of vectoring the entire bezel for later reproductions. there's nothing available in the usa, although a jungle king bezel is probably one of the most desired pieces of art out there. so for a couple of weeks / months, etienne and i exchanged tons of emails about the progress he made and some corrections from my side. here's what such a file looked like after etienne had sent it to me and i had added my remarks :arrow:

etienne was almost done with the bezel (and the instruction card) when i was contacted by a guy from KLOV about an original jungle king bezel in ok condition. i was totally torn about what to do, because etienne had spent endless hours on this and now that the end was near an original piece came along. so i contacted etienne and asked him what to do and without any hesitation he told me to go for it! i was still hesitant because i somehow felt i betrayed the vector king, but of course an original bezel is somewhat nicer than a reproduction PLUS it was much cheaper than having etienne's version printed, so i decided to get it. who knows, perhaps etienne will finish the art and make it available for possible reproductions later!

enough said, a huge box arrived through "personal delivery" ;) at my doorstep one day

good news: everything seems to be in one piece!

a first careful peek inside already reveals some flaking art :'(

let's inspect the worst spots a little bit closer :arrow:

as you can see, some serious flaking going on - and of course i can't leave it like that, so first of all i'm taking out my black "glass pens" ...

... for some first minor corrections!

after that, i'm bringing out the heavy artillery: my touch-up colors!

which shade of blue fits the best?

here's the bezel after touching up the art, first two photos are against-the-light shots, last two bezel lying flat on the table. doesn't look too nice, does it?

let's see how this "nastiness" turned out on the visible side

as you can see, close to perfection in the lower section, in the upper section the blue came out perfectly, but unfortunately the green color - which was an almost perfect match when applying - darkened after drying and so you can clearly see the spots where i touched up the art. however, this is going to be almost invisible once the bezel is installed and it looks so much better than when i got it, so i'm really happy with the results!

it's not perfect, but good and original! note that the flash increases the color differences

now that i'm done with touching up the art, i want to seal it to prevent the bezel from flaking any further. here's what i'm using :arrow:

setting up my personal "paint booth"

while "shooting", i'm protecting the visible glass areas with cardboard

still missing: the instruction card!!! stay tuned ... 8)