Author Topic: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo  (Read 241898 times)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
What a hell of a restoration you are planning to do.  :o
I love those taito cabinets and Jungle King is a great game. Good luck, can't wait for the result.  :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »
That restoration will be very interesting to follow, and what I like the most about it, it's the huge history behind this cabinet... it was long time ago in Hungary... shinobi-converted ... and now in Germany ... etc  8)
This cabinet will have a real 'soul' after that  :P
Good luck  :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »
everybody is talking about a restauration, i think ressurection fits thisone better  :lol:

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
All the cabs I left there were dumped a few weeks ago, now it's a workshop of a tombstone maker and I'm serious. :o
Ully is really the saviour of Jungle King and Ikari Warriors. ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »

the restoration continues ...

while removing the wooden coin door panel, i realized some nails at the bottom which weren't supposed to be there

this needed some further investigation (see how beat up that cabinet is?)

i removed all the nails that didn't belong there ... :twisted:

... and guess what: a part of the panel simply fell off

without using any of those nasty nails, i simply glued it back on again. other parts of the cabinet were loose as well, so they got the same treatment!

and here they are, all the pieces of the cabinet lined up nicely :-*

as i've said before, having those individual parts gives me much better control over the restoration process. with that being said, i started to sand down the old color layers - look how the original paint job starts to shine through :arrow:

coin door panel: DONE!

the same was done to the other parts, i especially loved removing the grey color layer from the sides :-*

some would consider this restored ;)

on the left JUNGLE KING, on the right SHINOBI. which one looks better?

of course that was not good enough, so i continued with my mission

underneath that paint i found a huge crack in one of the sides ...

... and a part where the cabinet had obviously been fixed before

another comparison shot

blank!

with the outside done, i turned to the inside

you can clearly see where they painted over the original black color for the grey shinobi look

my first thought was to only remove that grey color, but when i started to do so i realized that (a) the black comes off easily and (b) removing the old smelly paint entirely probably isn't the worst idea

so here's the result of that consideration ...

... and the results of many hours doing nothing but sanding, sanding and sanding

in between those sanding sessions, i found the time for some minor side projects (which all revolved around sanding as well 8)):

the monitor mounting bracket before the operation

as you can see, full of color spots and lighty rusted

after some sanding and polishing rounds, here are the results: not perfect, but good enough - i didn't want to be too anal about this part :ghost:

next up: the cabinet wheels. as you can see, they were totally worn with huge chunks of plastic sticking out

i could have simply bought new ones, but as long as pieces are salvageable, i'll try to use them. what i did was stick the wheels on a pen and let the rotational pull of the sander do the trick ;D

so much better than before!

here they are again together with the sanded / polished "wheel holders" (i don't know what the correct term for those parts is)

and finally: from a rusty dull coin box to a shiny polished coin bucket

to be continued ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »
 :o :o  :-*

Very interesting to follow Ully ... thanks  :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »
Its looking good already !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »

now that the cab has been sanded down, i need to fix the damages to the wood before i can start with the paint job. as i've said before, the wood used on those taito cabs doesn't deserve to be called like that - it's more like swollen frazzled cardboard. check out the following pictures to understand what i'm talking about :arrow:

in order to fix those heavy damages, i need to remove the redundant "wood" first

then the "wood" is being treated with wood hardener

after some drying time, i can fill all the holes with my beloved ponal duo :-*

because the cabinet is disassembled, i can work on the filling job simultaneously by stacking the individual pieces on top of each other 8)

after the wood filler is hard enough, it's back to the "sanding board" again - and here are the results :arrow:

after many many days of wood filling, sanding, wood filling, sanding, woodfilling and one final round of sanding, all the cabinet's pieces (note that the picture shows just some of them) are ready for the next step: the paint job!

to be continued ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
I respect your patience and skills ully !

i would have gone mad after 2hours, and you are doing this for days  :o

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
thx etienne, but how do you know that i haven't gone mad yet?  :P :o

seriously, there are times when i have to do another round of sanding when i'm thinking "i wish i'd be done with this for good" - and then i discover a new spot which needs to be fixed that i've missed before :evil:. but the thought of applying / removing the stencils, putting the cab back together again, installing the wiring and turning on the game for the very first time keep me going. it'll be totally worth all the efforts in the end and will be a kickass cab once i'm finished!

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »
indeed respect! I wouldn't have the patience or the skill to pull off such a restoration. I'm sure it will be very rewarding when you play the game for the first time on you fresh cabinet.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:24:16 PM by gyruss »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »

the sides of the boards which will be on the inside of the cab only get a clear wood primer

on top of that, some layers of black! after a few painting - sanding - painting sessions, the results are in :arrow:

just perfect! :-*

the two outer sides which will eventually be painted in green get a special white wood primer because (a) the primer also fills up small gouges and (b) the white is going to make the green P-O-P 8)

time to head out to my favorite shop: farben pfeiler!

the owner of the shop, marko, already knows who and what he's dealing with and he does his best to make his customers happy. i get nice discounts on the colors and from time to time he throws in some free painting items. if i ever manage to get my own gigantic game room, he will receive an extra vip invitation!

here's one side of the cabinet in marko's shop for the color scanning process. as you can see, that job was done before i started with the individual paint jobs, but for "dramaturgic" reasons i've mixed up the order  :P

look at that green :o

roll over beethoven

one down, one to go

first coat of green applied - one (or two) more coat(s) and the stencilling process can begin :)

P-O-P :-*

doesn't that look just gorgeous? :spaceace:

to be continued ...

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:59:58 AM by Superully »

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 05:36:37 PM »
doesn't that look just gorgeous? :spaceace:

+100 !!!!

Awesome job Ully - now I want to see your stencils process ....  :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Reinhold

• Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
Damn that color is soooo awesome :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »
Awesome job Ully - now I want to see your stencils process ....  :spaceace:

thx max! i will try the "scr33n route" this time: stencils + rollers since because your results look so fabulous! will have to do some testing on a spare piece of wood first though PLUS the stencils haven't arrived yet, but they're already on their way over here. i will have to wait another week for the paint to dry completely anyway PLUS (another one ;)) then the school holidays are here. i already have a busy schedule planned for that week :P