Author Topic: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo  (Read 240766 times)

Arch

• View Profile
Re: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Great update! So cool to see the progress here, and I'm happy you got sorted.
Very impressive work on Etienne's part of course. He is the vector god.  :shock:
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »
I am happy you took the original, nothing beats original Ully !

You do understand that i expect a highres scan of that bezel right  ;D ;)

The sources we had where not the best out there, and i have contacted some US guys with the same request, but noboy came through
(perhaps that is because they dont know me, or just simply dont want to take out theyre bezel, or dont have a scanner..)

Anyway, i really could use a scan of this to finish my file. (or build it again from scratch as amatter of fact  :D )

Another note, i appriciate it very much that you took the time to explane the story, and that is another reason not to feel betrayed as you call it.

I understand your feeling, but dont worry, thats what happens in life.

I had the same with the sidearts for CK, i just based and started on the sources i had and never expected to find someone with that sidearts.

after alot of work the opportunity popped up , and that means i needed to start all over again, but thats not a problem.
I do i as hobby and there are no deadlines, so, i dont see it as a problem  ;)

But thanks again for give me the credits   :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:29:11 PM by Etienne »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »
It turned out really nice Ully, your little paint bottles look cool and another  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: for Etienne. :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »

back with the instruction card! just in time, rich@thisoldgame came out with reproductions of the IC, printed on the same type of material (some kind of thick plastic) and in the same color - wonderful job once again!

here it is, already attached to the back of the bezel

now let's see how this looks "on location" illuminated by those three small lamps from behind

wonderful, just wonderful!!! :spaceace:

not too much left to do and i'm finally done ... :)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »

No Offence to rich ofcourse, but my vector is scharper  ;D ;D ;D

Looks great Ully with the lamps behind !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
No Offence to rich ofcourse, but my vector is scharper  ;D ;D ;D

definitely, etienne! the question is: how would it come out on that thick plastic material?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »

ok, before continuing with the restoration, let me tell you about the coin-up problem i had and how it was solved: remember, i couldn't add any credits via the coin switches, only by shorting the test switch with ground DIRECTLY on the board. this got me thinking that there might be something wrong with the pcb itself, although i had bought it as fully working from andy's arcade. by that time, toralf "timepilot" had found an untested jungle king pcb and he asked me if i could test it in my cab. sure, no problem! when i got it, i had to remove some wire connectors first which had been directly soldered onto the pcb, after that i plugged it in and all i got was a grey screen on the monitor. :(

so i examined the pcb a little bit closer (or better: the three pcbs stacked on top of each other) by screwing them apart and soon realized that the pcbs could never work because on board #2 and #3 various circuit paths had come loose and there was even a hole in one of the pcbs where someone had stuck a connector wire through! :evil:

this left me with board #1, the top board which also has the jungle king roms on top. the board looked ok and so i swapped it with andy arcade's board #1. plugged the entire boardset back into the connector harness, fired it up and it worked. well, the game had worked before as well, but what about the coin-up issue? shorted the test switch with ground - working. shorted coin switch one with ground - working!! shorted coin switch two with ground - working!!! WHAT??? really? am i dreaming? is this really happening? to make a long story short: the coin-up issue was caused by a faulty board i had bought as fully working, let's see if i can get some kind of refund from andy! 8)

with that problem fixed, there was something else i had to tackle: the coin door wiring harness! i had received this from anthony@quarterarcade, but as it turned out (a) it was not a jungle king harness (but one for qix) and (b) it wasn't working properly. i don't want to go into details on this, all i knew was that it had to be replaced by a real jungle king coin door harness. i got in touch with a guy named pete on klov, he's a taito expert and he agreed to send me a jungle king harness (along with two coin counters) in exchange for my qix harness. thx pete!!! deal done, after waiting anxiously for the stuff to arrive here's what was waiting for me at my doorstep two days ago :arrow:

inside: vintage arcade parts & wires?

check!!!

now all i had to do is exchange the old coin door harness with the new one

two more wires to go and i'm done!

this left me with the task of adjusting the coin mechs for my tokens - something i had never done before with those plastic mechs

as always, remove the moving parts (the cradles) first

unfortunately, my tokens are slightly bigger than the coin drop ...

... so i had to get out the rasp to make them fit!

at the bottom of the coin mech is a chute with a flap which rejects wrong coins

on metal coin mechs, that flap needs to be straightened, but since this is a plastic mech i can't just simply hit it with a hammer - i hit it with heat instead!!! :P

it ain't pretty, but it's working flawlessly now!

last thing to do is exchange those 25 cent coin inserts for the ones that etienne has made for me (thx dude for your fast job)!

let there be light!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2012, 06:52:13 PM »
Those coin inserts came out great!

And i am happy that the coin issue is solved.  :spaceace:

I could not imagine that the pins that used to be for the coinage did not work.

In general it is always shorting the pin that is "coin" with ground.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »
I could not imagine that the pins that used to be for the coinage did not work. In general it is always shorting the pin that is "coin" with ground.

somewhere on the board there's a fault, because the program doesn't register me shorting the pins! but for now i honestly don't care, because everything's working. well, almost everything i have to say: one of the two coin mechs doesn't work (that is: increase by one when adding a credit). i've also tried another counter, same problem. is there anything i can measure to find out what's wrong?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
yes, i think the switch of coin insert number 2 needs to "short" ground with the pin on the board.

as that is working, i would beep the wire that goes to the non working coinswitch.
there must be a break or something.

try to "short" the connectors on the switch and see if it coins up, maybe the switch is broken ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
you got me wrong, etienne, the program does register credits on both coin mechs, it's just that one of the coin counters doesn't increase +1 (if you know what i mean)!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
Ah

Try to switch the coin counters, and see if the problem moves to the other side, if yes, your counter is broken.  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 06, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
Try to switch the coin counters, and see if the problem moves to the other side, if yes, your counter is broken.  ;)

already did that, already tried another counter - nothing!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 06, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »

i realized that i had forgotten to add something when reassembling the cabinet: those wooden triangles which give the game some additional stability!

most of them were either missing or broken, so i asked a school colleague of mine to cut me some fresh ones - and he did! :o ;D

let's line them up nicely ...

... to hit them with some fresh layers of paint!

to be able to finish my restoration, i was still missing one crucial piece of the puzzle: a junge king marquee! those things are really hard to come by, especially in great shape, so i was thrilled when rav told me he had one and i could have it for free (plus the shipping costs). so one day a nice flat package was waiting for me right on my doorstep when i got home from school!

anxiously i ripped it open only to find this :arrow:

damn, must have been a communication error between dom and myself - so close, but so far away! nevertheless thx a lot for your effort and your help, dom, it was really appreciated!!!

after that, i turned my attention to the american market and after some serious digging i was able to source not only one, but two jungle king marquees. i was told they were not in perfect shape (they never are), but usable on a game. so i bought both of them and had them delivered by the TATS (= transatlantic arcade transport system) last week (along with some other stuff, for example a mario bros widebody marquee).

jungle king marquees come in two different versions: glass and plexi - i had one of each! let's examine the glass marquee first - here's its backside. you can clearly see that there's already a lot of paint missing :'(

let's see what it looks like when i hold it up against the light :arrow:

hmm, i'm not to happy with that. it might still look good on a wall, but backlight on a game? :-[

what about the plexi marquee? bad news as well, someone must have tried to clean it with corrosive stuff, because the surface is bumpy and full of really deep scratches! :evil:

this doesn't look too good, does it?

i tried my very best to get those damages removed by using an orbital sander, sanding paper and novus polish, but the best i could come up with is this :arrow:

i could have gone further with this, but apart from the obvious damage on the front the paint on the back is also cracking all over the marquee :arrow:

i would not have called either of the marquees "usable on a game", but they're better than nothing and until i can find a nice replacement i will be using the plexi marquee because all in all in looks better when backlight than the glass version.

this goes out to you guys: if you have a better jungle king marquee or know someone who does, please let me know!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »
Ill need more info on the counter issue, pics from the wires and so would help  ;)

Crackled paint is part of the soul Ully  ;) :D

Better than nothing, and its original!

Or.... you could do a highres scan.... ::)