Author Topic: [Restoration] Moon Patrol - Return to the Lunar Surface  (Read 99389 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Moon Patrol - Return to the Lunar Surface
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »
and the cabinet is back in shape

dunno why , but always when i see your fixes, i get the taste of a candy in my mouth  :D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »
and the cabinet is back in shape

dunno why , but always when i see your fixes, i get the taste of a candy in my mouth  :D

+1  :P :-*

Yes fantastic result Ully !!!

One question: what kind of product (brand or pic if possible  :-*) do you use for this nice job? Thanks.
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
One question: what kind of product (brand or pic if possible  :-*) do you use for this nice job? Thanks.

are you talking about the "candy"? i've tried multiple "bondos", this one came out as one of the best. it's called PONAL DUO which is some 2-component stuff coming in two tubes. you put the two ingredients together in the quantity needed (easy to "control"), mix them up and apply them to the wood. after about an hour, the stuff has reached the consistency of a chewing gum, which you can form into the appropriate shape then. wait about a day and take out your sanding tool afterwards. the good thing is that it sticks extremely well to the wood and it is very hard. so, in short, easy to work with for great results!

i've also used some other stuff for larger areas (more on that later in this thread) which is done in 5 minutes, but it's much more complicated to get the mixture right!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »

guys, unfortunately i'm at a standstill with moon patrol at the moment, because i've run into a problem of which i'm not sure how to solve! but let me backup a little bit first, because :arrow:

the restoration continues ...

because the light blue color on the sides of the cabinet is such a special shade which is impossible to find ready-to-paint, i need to have it color-matched. but because i don't want to carry the entire game down again, i've decided to cut out a piece of the cabinet which needed repair anyway. here's the piece of wood which is much easier to transport than the whole game ;)

the "color guy of my choice" doesn't do the color matching in person (because he doesn't have a scanner), he always sends my samples in. a couple of days later he gets the color codes for mixing the paint and i'm off with a freshly mixed paint can. this time however, something unexpected happened. the "scanning guys" lost the piece of wood which i wanted to glue back onto the cabinet >:(! although it was not the "color guy's" fault (because he didn't lose it), he decided to at least give me high-quality woodfiller to compensate for my loss!

let's give this a try! first take out the appropriate amount of "base material" ...

... and add the hardener afterwards!

wow, this stuff dries quickly - five minutes and we're good to go! impressive :o!!! although not quite the desired shape yet ;)

after a lot of sanding i'm almost there - those dents you can still see on the picture have been filed afterwards

now let's cover this up! here's the paint which was color-matched to the wood sample i provided. doesn't it look like a perfect match?

looking good so far, but where's the problem? well, the problem is that this blue is NOT a perfect match at all once it has dried completely - way too dark!!! so what did i do? over the course of the last few weeks (giving the paints enough time to dry through completely) i've tried tons of different color variations by adding special blue, black and white mixing colors, but i haven't been able to get even close. have a look at the bottom of the cabinet where i tried out my samples. some of them look to bright when applied, but after drying they are too turquoise, some of them look perfect when still wet but they dry out too bright - and so on and so on!

basically i've given up on finding the perfect match with the color-matched blue (which doesn't match at all). and now there's another problem: the "color guy of my choice" had to close down his shop and has moved over to luxembourg, so no more color mixing (at that place) for me. :'(

one option i have is cut out another piece of wood from the cabinet and send it over to bruno OR try to find another scanning guy and take the entire cabient there (because i also need the dark blue and the yellow eventually). as i've said above: i'm at a loss here on what to do and need your input / support! i want to finish this resto and finally play my favorite game!!!

HELP!!! :-*

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Are there no other paint shops in your area who can do scanning of colors ?

Full support from my side ofcourse, but on the other hand i am happy with this.
NOT to be enjoying other peoples "pain" but because now we have another guy draging cabinets to the DIY store  ;D

seriousely, its a shitty situation, and i would be frustrated too.
Goodluck with the recovery of this, im sure you will find a solution !

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
I am not a "colour wizard", but wouldn't some white paint added to that "darker blue when dry" allow you to reach a better matching colour?  :oops:
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
I am not a "colour wizard", but wouldn't some white paint added to that "darker blue when dry" allow you to reach a better matching colour?  :oops:

that's exactly what i was thinking and i got the perfect mixing colors from my "(ex) color guy" for free, but when i add white the blue changes its color as well. as i've said before: i've really tried at leat 30 combinations / variations. of course the best thing would be to drag the cab to a shop, but this would mean carrying it down those 1000 starts and later back up again (ask andré ;)). i would find another scanning shop for sure (even if this means driving 30 to 40 kilometers, but i'm not sure whether that would create the desired results. sometimes the colors are spot on (jungle king), sometimes they are off (moon patrol). i've been thinking of getting one of those color scanners which allows you to scan the colors at home and carry the results to a paint shop to have the colors mixed, but they are damn expensive (around 400 euros). although i would need it quite often, it's simply too much atm.

and as i've said before, it's not just the lught blue, i still need dark blue and yellow as well!!! i'm not ready to give up yet, i just need some fresh ideas.

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
ully
i started a thread on paint codes for restos on byoac, http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=84492.0 , thought id post the link as it may have info for other restorations you may do, it links to further information too, which is where i found this http://www.gamestencils.com/index.php?sc_page=41

scroll down it has codes for moon patrol, you've probably seen them but i thought id post just in case, they may be worth trying :)
just keeping an eye on things

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
I used to work at a professional paint dealer, and if we were asked to mix a color to match we just took a number of color charts (DE:farbfächer, NL:kleurenwaaier) outside (because daylight is the best light to compare colors) and looked which color was the best match. I think we had about 40 different charts which always gave us a good color, and there were about 50.000 different colors in our computer, while "normal" paintstores usually have no more than about 20.000 or so (which is still a lot though  :) )

Maybe you can try to find a professional store (in Holland, these companies are mostly on small business parks, and don't sell to private persons) and ask them if they can find a matching color.

In my experience you can find an almost perfect match by using color charts, a colorsample, daylight and a good set of eyes.
A colorscanner doesn't necessarily do a better job than the human eye.
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »
scroll down it has codes for moon patrol, you've probably seen them but i thought id post just in case, they may be worth trying :)

i've seen the color codes for MP, but in order to have the paint mixed i'd need the appropriate base which is not available over here!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 12:16:34 AM »
Ully, the wood filler you got for free is what the American guys call Bondo !

Brilliant stuff.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »
Maybe you can try to find a professional store (in Holland, these companies are mostly on small business parks, and don't sell to private persons) and ask them if they can find a matching color.

since i only have ONE color chart here and those things aren't cheap, i'll most likely have to drag the cabinet downstairs again and bring it to a professional shop (yes, etienne :D). i have three colors to match and this is the best solution for sure. i can waste tons of time mixing colors which don't match eventually or i can decide to pass this job on to somebody who knows what he's doing. the problem is going to be to find qualified persons at a professional store! let's see ...

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
If you send me that sample part from your cab, I can go to my usual paint shop & scan the color for you, no problem  ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
If you send me that sample part from your cab, I can go to my usual paint shop & scan the color for you, no problem  ;)

Let him drag that cab to your store nuno, i will like to see the faces of them seeing the 3th cab entering the store  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »

i would have long done that, bruno (my initial thought), BUT - as i've written above - the guys LOST the sample. of course i could cut out a new one and fix the hole again, but what about the dark blue and the yellow (although i think finding the correct shade of yellow will be much easier than this stupid blue). perhaps i should give this a try first with a sample of light blue sent to bruno's place - this would save me a lot of trouble. but it hurts having to operate on the cab again ...

@bruno: how close are the color matches you've got from your shop? 100%? 95%? finding a perfect color match is damn difficult ...