Author Topic: Atari Breakout coin switch wiring  (Read 4840 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Atari Breakout coin switch wiring
« on: June 02, 2015, 12:49:06 PM »
Guys, I have a simple question, I guess. The Breakout coin switch is a regular micro switch, with C, NO and NC. Normally, either NO or NC are connected, depending on the behaviour that you want. However, in this case both NO and NC (and C of course) are connected to the Breakout edge connector.

1. Why is that?
2. I want to install one of Luigi's famous credit buttons, which connection do I use, NO or NC? (I tried to read game schematic 4847 of course, but I couldn't make much of it). I don't want to screw it up, the last time we installed a credit button (at EC '13) the game went Berzerk! (which most likely was a coincidence  ;D )

speleo_de

• View Profile
Re: Atari Breakout coin switch wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »
Hi Erik,

please use a C,NC,NO switch for Luigi's holder and disconnect the wires from the original microswitch.
It's simply technically required.

Andreas

1. Why is that?
2. I want to install one of Luigi's famous credit buttons, which connection do I use, NO or NC?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »
thanks, will do.  :)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
Ah, there it is again.....the problem Dirk already mentioned a few times  ::)

I thought about it, how to mount a microswitch to the bracket, but coudln't find a solution for those PCBs. Any idea?  :?

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 04:28:10 PM »
Same seller, but 2 of those switches...or did I miss a difference that would kill the deal?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-PCS-Momentary-3-Pins-NO-NC-Red-Cap-Push-Button-Switch-AC-250V-2A-AC-250V-5A-/121184322703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c3726048f

I think I will order some of them for our games.

If someone wants of those as well, let me know. We should just stay under 22 Euros so customs won't bother us ;)

nilfisk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »
I've had the same with Monaco GP. I wired the credit switch to trigger a 5v relay I had laying around (I grabbed 6v off the coin door lamps for this, does the job pretty well). The relay in turn had both NO and NC switches, so it simulated the coin switch perfectly :).

Probably overdone if you have suitable switches available, but as I had stockpiles of suitable relais, this came in handy, and free. And yes, you will of course have to disconnect the original wiring from the coin switch for this to work, too.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »
I will take one, Luigi.