Author Topic: [Restoration] 3-D Waka Waka Waka (Pac-Mania)  (Read 9048 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Restoration] 3-D Waka Waka Waka (Pac-Mania)
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »
after my pac-man stencil disaster, i wanted to do a restoration which would (hopefully) go down quickly and easily. the school easter holidays were knocking on my door and patrik asked me if we don't want to bring another cab up into my apartment before he goes on holidays with his family - as if i didn't already have enough restoration projects going on. but who cares? ;)

we decided to go for PAC-MANIA from my FIVE IN A ROW BERLIN ROADTRIP because i had already removed the monitor, the control panel and the power block before - so this was a light cabinet to carry up the stairs.

i didn't take any pictures before i started removing parts from the cab, but the two pics i took while on location in berlin will do just fine!

as you can see, the condition of the cab is pretty good, so this shouldn't be a major undertaking  :)

let the restoration begin ...

first, some detailed pictures of the cabinet:

the vinyl on the sides has the usual wear

the sideart on one side has lost its colors - looking pretty pale, don't you think?

parts of the protective layer are peeling off ...

... or are already gone  :(

on the other side the colors look much more vibrant

but the sideart has the same problem with the protective layer ...

... and some nasty scratches >:(

nothing new on the back. this cries out loud: RESTORE ME!!!

the vinyl on the front is worn from years of abuse

in detail  :arrow:

and some holes have been drilled around the coin door area - probably for a security bar (which is no longer there)

as always, i'm starting at the very bottom

can you still call that leg levelers?

the usual: old vs new

inside, the cab is extremely filthy  :shock:

the ventilation grill BEFORE and AFTER

back on location

the power block removed from the cabinet

in order to clean it up nicely, everything has to go

can you spot the difference?  ;)

the once filthy inside now extremely clean!

my cats love it :-* when i'm working on games - those cabinets are a blast to climb into / onto

even my blind cat pesto can't resist!

when i want to fix the bottom back of the cab, i realize that the wood is broken

i carefully remove all the old damaged parts and replace them by freshly vinyled / painted ones

during re-assembly

the finished "product" - should have removed the dust before taking the picture. in reality it looks totally fresh!

now on to the sides! before i hear someone shout out loud "what the heck is he doing?" or "how can you remove those sidearts?", let me tell you this: i wouldn't remove the art if there were no reproductions available, but why would i need reproductions if something much better is around? three letters: N-O-S  :arrow: NEW OLD STOCK!!! i managed to find a set of NOS sideart, which is already on its way to germany as we speak - should arrive within the next week!

so with that said, let's remove the old worn stuff (vinyl plus sideart)! still hurts to do so  :'(

ouch!  :ghost:

with everything removed, i can fix the edges and all the other small dents!

bare bones  :twisted:

one of the best features of the pac-mania cabinet is that unbelievable three-dimensional marquee

joda-talk: very dirty this marquee is!

the condition is good, just a little flaking going on

nice and shiny after some careful cleaning

let's examine the control panel! not too bad either, but two things are obvious: this is NOT an original atari logo joystick and it is installed incorrectly: those plastic washers have to go underneath the panel!

in order to clean the panel up, i have to remove everything. btw, a replacement logo joystick is being "flown in" from the usa!

this is the only annoying defect on the overlay  :arrow:

the overlay has changed its color drastically :o! you can clearly see the original color where the screws and the plastic washer was. unfortunately, i haven't been able to find a replacement overlay yet and i don't want to spend almost 70 bucks on a reproduction from twobits at the moment!

the same discoloration where the buttons were

the cleaned control panel - magic eraser couldn't do its magic this time  :(!

finally on to the vinyl. i'm trying a different method this time - have a look (i picked this up on an american website)! the first thing to do is apply the vinyl to the cabinet, but don't cut it to fit, leave a couple of centimeters on each side

then take a heat gun and add a little heat to the top edge all around the cab. the vinyl will "relax" and start to lay over the edge and not stick straight out!

continue to heat the flap while pulling and stretching a little at a time until it's all laying flat. be careful: do not add too much heat or too much pressure, otherwise you will tear the vinyl! the corners are difficult to do, but you'll get the hang of it after a while. i did some testing on a spare board first.

after a while, you can press the vinyl "into the wood", where it will slightly settle into the t-molding slot. once you're done, take an exacto knife and cut off the excess vinyl!

looking perfect 8)! although it takes much more time and isn't the easiest / funniest thing to do, the advantages of this method are obvious: the corners of the cab are well protected PLUS when you install the t-molding, it won't push the vinyl up in various places!

bring on those sidearts, post office!!!

the entire front has also received its share of new vinyl ...

... and the newly powdercoated coin doors installed

not much left to do: install the logo joystick and apply the sideart upon arrival - then PLAY ;D

to be continued ...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:06:06 AM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] 3-D Waka Waka Waka (Pac-Mania)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
Ahhhh  good to see the Superully treatment !

you got the pacman fever !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBSwm-mPXhQ

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »
spotted this in bruno's restoration thread  :arrow:

does anyone know where i can get that pac-man figure? this is just round, right, without any feet or stuff on the bottom? if so, i'd love to have this for my pac-mania keyring  :-*
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »

the restoration continues ...

got a new set of sideart from the usa

finding the perfect spot

don't be afraid, my little friend, removing the protective paper doesn't hurt a bit! ;)

see - what did i tell you?

probably my fastest restoration to date!

doesn't it look just great - shiny and new!!! :)

two final remarks:
- i know that the original game came with an atari logo joystick, BUT pac-man has a red ball, ms pac-man has a red ball, pac-land has red buttons, why should the joystick be black? that's what i call artistic freedom!
- the game is fully operational except a problem with the sound: sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. there's definitely a problem with the sound poti, because it crackles when i turn it. ANDRÉ ...  ;)

but for now: :arrow:

THIS RESTORATION IS OFFICIALLY DONE!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »
Looks great Ully, especially that marquee, I hope I can see it with my own eyes some day! ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:32:58 PM »
spotted this in bruno's restoration thread  :arrow:

does anyone know where i can get that pac-man figure? this is just round, right, without any feet or stuff on the bottom? if so, i'd love to have this for my pac-mania keyring  :-*

I knew I had to reply to this  ::) it was in 'stand-by' in my brain, but got the pulse now  :P
Well, the one I got was a gift from ArcadeFever ( :-*), but here's a place where you can buy it : http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/b51b/

Wait! No... that picture tricks me  :-\ It's not the same thing... it's funny, but not the same thing  :'(

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:12:43 PM »
thx bruno, but i'm pretty sure i figured out where your pac came from originally: a 5 figures collectible set which was given out in 2006 at the e3. there was a complete set on offer on ebay just the other day, but i was outbid - didn't think it would go that high. i'm pretty sure something like this will show up eventually again! here's the picture (would have loved to have that set) :arrow: