Author Topic: It's Burger Time! ...still hungry after 28 years... :: The Restoration ::  (Read 38348 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Yes "ONLY" the cabinet.... :)

So.....what to do, sell it or keep it ??

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile

it depends: i know that BT is one of the games you are REALLY LONGING FOR, but would you be able to squeeze it into your gameroom or are you out of space?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42

it depends: i know that BT is one of the games you are REALLY LONGING FOR, but would you be able to squeeze it into your gameroom or are you out of space?
Out of space, but I'd probably kick out my MAME machine in the blink of an eye if I could get a BT....or a Q*bert.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
or finally kick out that pinball of yours :twisted: (not talking about the VIDEO pinball by the way)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Yeah if it weren't for my wife and son.....well Robin offered to help me work on it, but at this moment the temperatures are not like doing much work at all.....

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
That's some weird hack, the yellow wire is jumpering two 15v lines while the 2 cut wires seem to be 15v and its return.
The wires hacked onto the back both go to ground, so it doesn't make much sense unless I'm reading it wrong.
Yeah, I was working on some Midway power supplies this week :)
Also about to order from Bob Roberts if you want to share shipping on a rebuild kit.

Thanks liquidx, I'll start with a rebuild kit for that board. Let me find what to order first (the good references), and we can make a 'bulk' order  :-*

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
That's some weird hack, the yellow wire is jumpering two 15v lines while the 2 cut wires seem to be 15v and its return.
The wires hacked onto the back both go to ground, so it doesn't make much sense unless I'm reading it wrong.
Yeah, I was working on some Midway power supplies this week :)
Also about to order from Bob Roberts if you want to share shipping on a rebuild kit.

Thanks liquidx, I'll start with a rebuild kit for that board. Let me find what to order first (the good references), and we can make a 'bulk' order  :-*

Okido. And Ully feel free to join in as well.

Colin
findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Yes "ONLY" the cabinet.... :)

I sence a scratch build in the near future......  ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
OK Liquidx,

Here's what I need  :arrow: Midway 90421 Power Supply Rebuild Kit :

But why he doesn't include the two big blues Cap in the kit?

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile

Okido, I'll add that to my list. I'll put the order in this week, it takes a little longer due to the no-paypal thing but as he cross-ships it's not too bad.

I guess he considers those 2 caps not important enough to have any major effect on the output even if they go bad, or they're indestructible :)
They're both filters on the inputs.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
i'm putting my order together right now, still waiting for some crucial answers on what to get exactly, but you should have my wish list soon. thx a lot for letting me jump onboard.

btw, how are you handling orders with BR payment-wise since he doesn't accept paypal or credit cards?

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
i'm putting my order together right now, still waiting for some crucial answers on what to get exactly, but you should have my wish list soon. thx a lot for letting me jump onboard.

btw, how are you handling orders with BR payment-wise since he doesn't accept paypal or credit cards?

I use auctionchex, you pay them via IBAN transfer and they send him a cheque from a US bank. They take a commission but it's $2 or so.
Also their European account is Belgium-based so when I transfer to them, they get it the next day.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Regarding the Burger Time pinout (schema from MikesArcade.com:arrow:

On the small connector, what would be the 'D' signal named 'TV Sync' (comp) ... 'comp' for composite? ...like the common 'yellow video composite cinch'? No, It cannot be that?
Because the game doesn't work, I cannot verify that specific video signal by myself. So, in my custom BT to SCART adapter, I've used the (6) V Sync + (7) H Sync  attached together to the sync pin of the scart connector.
Note on the schema says the sync signal may be different.
I think I'll have to wait the game to be fixed before to verify what is the video signal used for my board...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
That D Sync (comp) means Composite SYNC, not Composite VIDEO (which you mean with the yellow video composite connector.

Composite Sync means H and V sync mixed together.
Composite Video means H and V sync plus Red, Green and Blue all mixed together (and hence the shitty quality of the picture).

So, I would wire the D pin to pin 20 of the Scart connector (= comp sync).

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Let's continue to investigate... as I said previously, let's take care about the board first before starting to work on the display. Let's assume my adapter is working (I've build many like this in the past), but without a working game, impossible to verify so far. In addition, it's a new TV model I'm using and I don't know how this one reacts with a such signal... I've seen so many different situation  :P

OK, the basic check. Let's plug the game. On this pin, I'm supposed to have 12V ...

...looks good.

Now, on this one I should have +5V ...

2,06 ?! Not good! Every pin I'm supposed to have +5V, I have only +2V  :-X

The "Medium Power Supply" board should provide correctly the +5V everywhere, but not anymore now... I do not have a rebuild kit here, so let's help it to provide the +5V with an other power supply. Fortunately, I always have one, ready for such operation  ;)  :arrow:

Ok, so far I only need two wires : one for 5V and one for the ground, see  :arrow:

The red one provides the +5V. Because I do not want the cut the wires at this place, I simply hang the wire, it will be fine for just a test :

The yellow one is the ground :

Power on... something on the screen  ::) :P

After few seconds... I recognize the game... and I recognize that 'one color' display... I know for sure that my *VIDEO* custom adapter Burger Time > Scart is working... I just need to add the RGB switching signal  :-* :-* :-* Let's add it ( +5V on Scart pin 16) ... and ...

... THIS IS IT  ::) :P  :arrow:

Well... almost, just a small mistake between the thee colors wires (RGB)... Let check that....

... and ...

... and ...

THIS IS IT NOW  :arrow:

:-* :-* :-* :-*

OK, I know the only problem (so far, let's be prudent  ::)) is ...the "Midway Medium Power Supply". Once I'll have the rebuild kit, this issue will be fixed and I won't need that *temporary* external power supply  ;)

Hey, because I was very happy to see the board ALIVE, I've done a real time video ... enjoy ;D  :arrow:

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: