Author Topic: Pole Position 2(Namco version) pcb and wiring harness wanted  (Read 6397 times)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
I know it's a kind of mission impossible, but I'm trying to get my PP2 cab to work.
I gained some info about this game and I realized that it has 2 versions(Atari and Namco) and both have different pcb and wiring harness.
If you have any info about these parts for sale, please send me PM. ;)
My other option is to converse it to mame, but I'd rather miss it if I have any other possibility. ;D

Laschek

Re: Pole Position 2(Namco version) pcb and wiring harness wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »
Are you sure you want the Namco Version? I see the two Atari ARII Boards, so the wiring harness should be Atari style?

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »
Are you sure you want the Namco Version? I see the two Atari ARII Boards, so the wiring harness should be Atari style?
I can't recognize the difference between the 2 versions, cause I'm absolutely noob for electrical things. :oops:
If you are sure, that the Atari harness and pcb could be fixed to this cab es ist ganz egal für mich what version we use, I just want to play the game on this cab. ;D ;D ;D
If you need additional pics to find out, please send me pm. ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »
@bela: didn't i tell you that laschek is THE pole position expert? he has so many boards, he can actually bathe in them  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Laschek

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »
I can't recognize the difference between the 2 versions, cause I'm absolutely noob for electrical things. :oops:
If you are sure, that the Atari harness and pcb could be fixed to this cab es ist ganz egal für mich what version we use, I just want to play the game on this cab. ;D ;D ;D
If you need additional pics to find out, please send me pm. ;)

Those two small, identical boards which are still inside the cab (with those big heatsinks) are the 2nd version of the so-called Audio/Regulator Boards (ARII) made by Atari, you should find it silkscreened on the PCBs themselves. They were used for audio amplification and also provide/regulate some of the voltages. Atari used those boards in many of their games, thus several revisions exist. Pole Position is the only game afaik that uses two of them.
To cut a long story short: as they are still inside your cab I guess you can say for sure that you have the Atari version, the Namco version of the PCB doesn't need them  ;)

Laschek

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »
he has so many non-working boards

fixed  ;D

Finding a working PP/II boardset is a major pain in the sphincter. I have about 7-8 sets which are completely dead, all of them. Not just not properly working. No, completely dead.
Only recently I got my hands on a working set, though I haven't found the time to test it inside the cab. There is some work to be done like repairing burnt connector pins (common problem), a slight battery damage (common problem) and what not. I just tested it on my MAK with a basic adapter (just video) and got a nice working attract mode.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
Thanks for the input. ;D
One more question, are the Atari PP1 wires and pcb connectors same as the PP2 ones?
I'm asking, cause maybe I can start with a PP1 board and later if I can find a PP2 I will replace it. ???
Yeah Ully, you told me that Laschek is the king without a crown in PP, but I was so excited about the new cabs and I forgot it! ;D

Laschek

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 11:15:36 AM »
One more question, are the Atari PP1 wires and pcb connectors same as the PP2 ones?

They should be, yes, because the boards are the same, you can convert a PP to a PPII by swapping some chips basically: http://therealbobroberts.net/pp2.html