Author Topic: Forget Airlinepilots, this is the REAL SHIT !  (Read 14476 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Forget Airlinepilots, this is the REAL SHIT !
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »
My son taking off with a 737 !

Watch the video ! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-ybAmb5R88

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:40:20 AM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Forget Airlinepilots, this is the REAL SHIT !
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:21:16 AM »
VET !

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:29:04 AM »
A real one or a simulator? ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
Indeed a simulator.... of course :D

But still, amazing ! The best videogame EVER ! :D I want one !!!  ;D ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »
that's damn cool!!! how did you get to do that?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »
OMG  :o More info please !!! :P

Talking about Air Line Pilots, I've missed one in UK few days ago... I was the second 'buyer' on a list, and when the first buyer canceled the sale ... I thought it was my turn, but someone came and ... at the end... deal an arrangement faster than me...  :-\   Lucky man! ... but I'm sure I'll own it one day  8)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
Well as you guys may know our son was born with three heart defects. He got operated at 4 months old. Last november he had to undergo a 2nd surgery. I won't go into all the details, and there's more to it than just this, but all in all this is no "piece of cake" for a young boy, and to be honest, not for the parents either. Although he's doing great now, there is also always an amount of uncertainty and worries about the future

So, through the hospital, we were enlisted for a "surprise day", to give our son, and us, a "dream" day out, in Dutch it's called "Opkikker dag" and I won't try to translate because it won't make sense.

There is a foundation (is that the right word?) that organizes these days (all with voluntary workers and without government support), you can find the website here: www.opkikker.nl any support is welcome ;) !

Anyway two great ladies came over to have a talk with Mark about what his passions and hobbies are. Two things surfaced right away: airplanes, flying and becoming a pilot, and in 2nd place, Star Wars.......(yes, I'm guilty of some influence I guess, SW cockpit ;))

Anyway, they organized a brilliant day for us. We didn't know what would happen. I'll try to summarize in a very short list:
- Mark picked up from school by a police officer (he was a bit shocked the first moments ;)) Drove off in police van with sirens and flashlights and the entire school waving
- drove to Schiphol airport and were welcomed by 2 great guys, one from KLM, the other from Air Traffic Control Netherlands.
- drove to Air Traffic Control Netherlands and got a tour and explanation of everything about Air Traffic control in the real control room !
- visited a hangar where 2 747's were parked for maintenance. Climbed aboard one of them and got a tour, Mark was allowed to sit in the cockpit. Also visited a 777 (these are even longer than the 747's)
- were awaited by 2 firemen of the airport and Mark (and we) got to ride in one of the GIANT crash-tenders ! Drove to the "exercise plane" (along the runways) and Mark was allowed to "extinguish" the plane (no real flames this time of course).
- got a demonstration of the guy who scares of the birds from the runways. (While taxiing pilots waved back at us :D)
- lunched in the airport traffic tower. The lunchroom with the most beautiful view in Holland !
- visited the airport traffic tower control room !!!! Mark was sitting at the guy's chair who cleared the planes for take-off and everything was explained how it worked. Incredibly impressive to be there, and great people !
- Mark got to go up in a de-icing vehicle that is used by KLM to de-ice the planes in wintertime. This time he was allowed to operate the water canon on a real 747 wing ! :D
- after that we drove to what seamed a normal commercial building, but inside there was a row of 6 or 7 simulators !
We had one hour in a 737 sim, guided by two Transavia pilots

When we returned home, we were welcomed at the clubhouse of our marching band by the drumband playing. We had a nice meal there, and during the meal several Star Wars figures appeared ! 2 Stormtroopers and 2 other bad "guys" from the Empire walked around. Mark was pretty scared in the beginning but soon was around them and taking pictures with them

All in all, an AMAZING day, and all people voluntary gave their time and effort to give Mark and us this very special day that we will never forget...

I'll post some pics when I get them....

By the way, if anyone is interested in doing a flightsim themselves:
http://www.flyanairliner.com (this is not the same company we were though).

For €550,- you get a one hour 1 person flight ! :D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
cool.

i donate to one such charity that organises similar outings to terminally ill kids.

i have also been on a similar flight sim myself at luton airport. you had to sit through some boring theory first, didnt take any notice of that, then it was at the controls of the flight sim. i said to the pilot, "hong kong airport at night please", that was back in the day when hong kong airport was the most difficult airport to land at and the views are spectacular (in real life you can see people in buildings you get that close to them). it was pretty awesome. like that episode of myth busters, you _can_ be talked into landing quite successfully without much intervention from the co pilot.

we didn't get to wear any stripes though.  :oops:

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »
Great that we have this kind of organizations, Mark (and you) must have had a great time!

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
wow, that sounds like one heck of a day. Not only 1 surprise, but one after another one, after another one.

(I laughed at the story about the guy who was made to scare pigeons from the runway. A modernday scarecrow)
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 04:47:23 PM »
wow, that sounds like one heck of a day. Not only 1 surprise, but one after another one, after another one.

(I laughed at the story about the guy who was made to scare pigeons from the runway. A modernday scarecrow)
Yep, and then yesterday a Marroc airways plane has to make an emergency landing after hitting some birds.....serious problem but not impossible to handle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tLF-3d3PJk&feature=fvsr

Pretty amazing that it seems to be little problem to take of on one (and a half ?) engine.....

Vnera

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
i really like this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8_Gnbp2JA

it really sounded like a awesome day!

Psykick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
Wow, what a tremendous gesture from Opkikkerdag! I really almost dropped a tear. I also have 2 daughters and I can imagine that it must be tough for parents to undergo such stressfull times. I hope he stays healthy and lives a long and happy life. Good luck to you all and we should all take lessons from organizations like this. ;)

Btw that sim rocks!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »
Jesus! See that *home made in a garage* simulator  :shock:  :arrow:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2012/00057902-decouvrez-le-simulateur-de-vol-ultime.htm
(click on the video, skip the ad)

I want!  :P