Author Topic: I know that monkey, its Donkey! [DK Scratch build]  (Read 33259 times)

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
Re: I know that monkey, its Donkey! [DK Scratch build]
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »
Hi Nintendoid, I too am (still) building a scratch build DK cabinet. Here's a pic of how I mounted the bezel with an aluminium strip from the DIY store, since I don't think you can find the lower bezel retainer anywhere online (And Mike doesn't have them as far as I know).

I bought a "draught excluder" (tochtstrip in dutch, thanks google) and removed the rubber part so I have just an aluminium strip left which I can slide the bezel bottom into.
Spraypaint black and you are done. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35165513@N04/4831632904

(I can't get the image appear in this post? :()
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:10:54 PM by joeks »
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

falcon NL

• Im Loving this!
    • View Profile
    • Florush
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
Pretty big update i guess.

Last month i got all my artwork in! Marquee,Beezel and CP from Scott and the side art from QuarterArcade. I was really happy with the result! And Scott helpt me out with the import tax problem ;)

I also made the t-molding slots. A HUGE thanks to Joeks  for lending me the bit for my router to do so! I would never succeed without his help at that point!

Then finally cut the hole for my coin door! It fits perfectly, i dont need glue or bolts to hold it in place. I also cut out some admin buttons for controlling Mame.

Then yesterday i finally fixed the light in the cabinet. The strangest thing happened the i first l saw the marquee, i really was proud of myself :). I hope the make final adjustment this weekend and get the first layer of primer on (Histor, MDF grondverf)

Edit:

I still need to fix this part into place...anybody got a clue on how and where?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:33:03 PM by falcon NL »
Current Project: Donkey Kong

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 09:29:34 PM »
Looking great !

Brry71

• View Profile
    • The other side of me
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 12:21:09 AM »
Wow!!! Looks super dude!

Although I first have to restore another cab seeing you build this and have the flat white t-mold underway makes my fingers itchy to first start with another build  :)

Looking forward to see the rest of the build, you're a much better photo documentary maker then me!
LOOKING FOR: a license to print money.....

And a Pacman. And a Donkey Kong.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 07:33:56 AM »
i think it's looking great and although this is probably taking longer than you had expected, it will be totally worthwhile in the end. isn't it just great to be proud of yourself? 8)

are you having any issues with the jakobud plans being inaccurate and the order parts not fitting because of that?

one thing i noticed (and some might say i'm being too anal about it): on the following pick there's a dip in the wood right underneath the speaker grill (or is it ventilation?). if i were you, i'd fill that dip up before painting the cab, because since this at the very front of the cab, you will clearly see this and always be unhappy with that error. you've gone through all that trouble: fill it up! :P

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »
yeah, i noticed that too, you are right Ully, but also you are anal, and we all know that  ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
It's very impressive... At this point I'm sure you can feel the 'Arcade Life Style' excitation... Congratulation  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
Huh, a vinyl DK CPO ??

You do know the original was a plexi, right ?

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
Huh, a vinyl DK CPO ??

+1

here a nice one for 40$:

http://www.arcadeshop.com/pics/donkey-kong-cpo.jpg

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

falcon NL

• Im Loving this!
    • View Profile
    • Florush
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
Huh, a vinyl DK CPO ??

No i didnt! I thought original it was a paper under a piece of plexiglass. Thats why im so intressed in the CP of Timepilot!

falcon NL

• Im Loving this!
    • View Profile
    • Florush
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
i think it's looking great and although this is probably taking longer than you had expected, it will be totally worthwhile in the end. isn't it just great to be proud of yourself? 8)

are you having any issues with the jakobud plans being inaccurate and the order parts not fitting because of that?

one thing i noticed (and some might say i'm being too anal about it): on the following pick there's a dip in the wood right underneath the speaker grill (or is it ventilation?). if i were you, i'd fill that dip up before painting the cab, because since this at the very front of the cab, you will clearly see this and always be unhappy with that error. you've gone through all that trouble: fill it up! :P

Thanks! I fix that little bump in the front.
Yeah its taking me way longer then i thought, but im loving every second of it!

Well the only issue i have so far is that i dont think i have enough T-molding and the marquee retainers are a bit small. The cabinet is 57,3 wide so its a bit to big.

First layer of primer, seconde coat is drying as we speak...i think it will need a third coat.
IMG]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7751/p1010640klein.jpg[/IMG]

And a HUGE thanks to Level42,Joeks and Darthnuno (even if he doesn't get it;D). I got a little road trip today to Den Haag to get this beautiful perfect match paint!

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:20 PM »
Hey looking good Falcon!
Good job so far. The cabinet is really taking shape. The moment you started painting the mdf, it looks a lot nicer is it?

I have just finished painting my coin door and mechs for the final time (even though STILL not really satisfied :) )
Need to install it and then get my DK pcb running. Having troubles with that btw!
Maybe someone can help me test the 2-board pcb i got from Mikesarcade? Maybe Level42 or Ckong?
I only hear the boot-up sound, no display whatsoever.. No coin-sound.
If the pcb can be tested in a real Nintendo cabinet, that would be of great help.

PS. Falcon, you don't need the routerbit anymore i presume? :)

falcon NL

• Im Loving this!
    • View Profile
    • Florush
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »
And now the end is near.....

Just one more layer of red, and three layers of black. And then its sideart+ t-molding time!

@Joeks:
Almost! Just need to finish up the CP and cut the slot for the tmolding on there and im done with your bit. I will get it back to you ASAP! 

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
Hey Falcon! Looking really good! The red is incredible. Matches real nice with the red control panel overlay.
I didn't know you still had to cut the cp t-mold slot, take your time :)

One thing, don't you paint the inside of the speaker grill? It looks like that on your pics.
Now is not to late to still paint it, i think it looks a lot better painted red as well. A more finished look.

Good luck and have fun on the final stretch, your are almost there! Good job :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 08:42:21 PM »

One thing, don't you paint the inside of the speaker grill? It looks like that on your pics.
Now is not to late to still paint it, i think it looks a lot better painted red as well. A more finished look.

Not original ! The original stuff is laminate so there is no red inside the speaker "grill".