Author Topic: (Ms.) Pac Man 96in1 groupbuy  (Read 11217 times)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: (Ms.) Pac Man 96in1 groupbuy
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »
I just installed the eroms from hobbyroms and they work perfect. ;D ;D
I also installed a new Joystick grommet from arcadeshop.com which is a little stiff but that will change.
I'm now one happy ms pac man owner, can't wait for my centi pcb  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:12:25 PM by gyruss »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »
I just installed the eroms from hobbyroms and they work perfect. ;D ;D
I also installed a new Joystick grommet from arcadeshop.com which is a little stiff but that will change.
I'm now one happy ms pac man owner, can't wait for my centi pcb  ;D ;D

No 60in1 or 48in1 will go into my Ms.Pac ! :D It will go into the Puckman and I'll be adding 1 button (VERY hidden).
The grommet I got from Bob Roberts is supposed to be extra stiff, not sure if I'm going to like that.....

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 01:04:57 AM »
I justed played a couple of rounds. The stiffness of the joystick is acceptable, but Ronald Reagan's pac man playes a lot smoother. It's still a big improvement for me, mine was totally worn out. I guess it will get better the more you play.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 09:12:49 AM »
Yeah. You also must apply some stuff on it IIRC. Not sure what the manual says, will have to check.

The grommet on the Pac joystick I got from Spyridon had the rubber actually torn on one side. It feels too loose so I got a new one from Bob for that. I haven't investigated the joystick on my Ms. Pac just yet, it works still very well actually.

For me, this is the best joystick ever. It is so good that at moments you don't think what direction you steer but you just "feel" it. It's like it becomes a natural extension of your arm. The Ms. "flows" through the maze and it's almost as if you "pre-program" her where she's going to go.

I've played Ms. on Mame (with keyboard), on my Mame cab (with also very good Suzo Inductives), on the Atari Lynx (best conversion ever) but nothing, nothing comes close to the real thing.

Even the sounds.....there's something about the music, the sounds that is different on the original. I always loved the bass line during the intermissions and the "pop" when the two ghosts collide on the first intermission, I just think only the real hardware gives that true feeling. I only need to replace the ROMs and I am back in 198x when I play the Ms. :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
I think it was white vaseline ? (Zuurvrije vaseline)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:01 AM »
Yeah, some things just need some lube  ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »
Ah, I didn't know that, I'll get some Vaseline next week and lupe this baby up.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 11:50:17 PM »
Well the vaseline is not for lubing in this case but more to protect the rubber from drying out. (IIRC)

Despite the lukewarm (or should I say, chilly) responses here I am still looking into the multi-pac options.I've contacted Slava and Mike Doyle.
Mike kindly agreed to extend his birthday offer for us IF we can do a group-buy so he can save on shipping to one address. Alternatively, he can ship directly for a little extra. So here are the details:

1) Multi 4in1 kit and separate hi-score save board. $80,95 shipped to Europe (individual buy)
2) Mike Doyle's 96in1 for only $111 shipped to me if bought through group-buy.
This is only about €85,- shipped guys, it's a steal !

For an added 10 dollars Mike will ship to individual European addresses.

Option 1) will give you Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man and both in speed-up versions and hi-score saving
Option 2) will give you any Pac variant you can think of, testing routines, screen saver, hi-score save and Pengo

I'm going to go with option 2.

If anyone changed his mind, let me know.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:54:40 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
thx for your efforts, andré, but as i've aid before: i'd rather have only the original ms pac in my cab!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »
thx for your efforts, andré, but as i've aid before: i'd rather have only the original ms pac in my cab!

Me too.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 10:20:02 AM »
Sorry Andre, i'll also keep mine original.

Ully, did you order the eroms already?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:27:00 AM by gyruss »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
Well I'm keeping mine original as well, this is just an add-on kit that runs on the original hardware (thought some here may confuse this kit with one of those 48in1 or 60in1 Chinese boards, which is emulation).

Don't you guys want to save your hi-scores ? Amazing ! :D
And how about the freeplay setting with the normal attract screen, that's a big plus for me.

O well, I'll go and order just one then :D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 10:42:02 AM »
Those are indeed great extra's but €85,- is still a lot of money for me. 

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 11:31:53 AM »
And how about the freeplay setting with the normal attract screen, that's a big plus for me.

since i want to run the game on tokens eventually, i don't care about the freeplay setting with the normal attract screen. saving highscores is another thing, that wouldn't be too bad to be honest, but perhaps there's a tiny chip to solve that which is cheaper than an additional board? do you know?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »

since i want to run the game on tokens eventually, i don't care about the freeplay setting with the normal attract screen. saving highscores is another thing, that wouldn't be too bad to be honest, but perhaps there's a tiny chip to solve that which is cheaper than an additional board? do you know?
You can get Slava's hi-score kit for 20 bucks but you will also need to exchange a couple of ROMs because normally, Pac Man is not programmed to handle the hi-scores. SO, you need a modified version of the program to make the hi-score board work.
From what I understand from Slava Ms.Pac Man won't work that way though, you'll need the 4in1 kit for that to let it work....

I think I already know why you guys don't want a multi-kit: you all want to beat Billy Mitchell !!!!!! ;D ;D

(Andre, makes short gesture with hand and says: You do want a Multi-Pac.)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding guys I just figured I started to sound nagging ;)