Author Topic: must-have classic b/w arcade games  (Read 25288 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: must-have classic b/w arcade games
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
Yep that was what I was thinking....always good to have a vector chassis around though ;)

I like it. Exactly the kind of games that I used to play when I took my first steps in the "arcade" on the camping grounds in Zeeland.

I think Jukeboxshop still has one or two of these still available.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
But be careful with scrubbing the sideart, don't get it too wet as the paint might crack. This kind of sideart is rather sensitive to liquids (same on many EM games).

thx, i'll be totally careful, because i can already see the paint / wood cracking. man, if i didn't have to drag all those machines up here, i'd be probably running 20 restorations simultaneously (and get lost in the parts ;)). let's see if i can find get a replacement tube for this ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
Very nice Ully, this is a rare cab. And once it had the 'superUlly' treatment, it will be shiny and like new again, won't it?

You said that you had to get the cab by car, does that mean that we can expect a road trip?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
Very nice Ully, this is a rare cab. And once it had the 'superUlly' treatment, it will be shiny and like new again, won't it?

You said that you had to get the cab by car, does that mean that we can expect a road trip?

Niceone ully !

i was wondering the same thing erik  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »
And once it had the 'superUlly' treatment, it will be shiny and like new again, won't it?

this one is going to be difficult because of the elaborate artwork and the cracking wood - i'd so much like to tackle some of my b/w games for restoration, but i guess it'll have to wait until i've found my new home.

indeed, there was a roadtrip involved here, but since i was alone, the seller was in a total hurry and noone was there to take pictures (although the loading process with the removal of the wooden step and our trials to get this cabinet into my car were spectacular), there simply is nothing great to show. it was one of those: hop in, drive over, load up, drive back, unload roadtrips! i was in a hurry myself, because i had to drop off the keys at my old school for a final meeting with the principal (make that EX). sorry guys!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
That's a beautiful cabinet ullly. I think those periscope games are quite cool. Would love to play one again someday. 

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
.... because i had to drop off the keys at my old school for a final meeting with the principal (make that EX).

So you switched school? Didn't have enough holidays, did you?  :lol: :lol:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »
So you switched school? Didn't have enough holidays, did you?  :lol: :lol:

yes, i did. managed to get a job at the school in my hometown, which means i can walk to school now and don't have to lose 2 hours on the road each day :) plus i'll also be working 7 school hours more each week which - if you do the math - means more money in the end! unfortunately, holidays stay the same ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 11:16:48 PM »
More money but less time to restore ;)

Congrats, so this is a "steady" job now ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 11:37:43 PM »
More money but less time to restore ;)

absolutely, especially since i'll have to work in a system i haven't worked for two years now, which means i have to adapt to both the pupils and the topics. i'll learn tomorrow which subjects i have to teach, might be something else than english and geography. i'm a little bit nervous :-[

Congrats, so this is a "steady" job now ?

not quite, just another contract for one year BUT things are looking really good for a permanent position after that!

Laschek

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »
i'll learn tomorrow which subjects i have to teach, might be something else than english and geography. i'm a little bit nervous :-[

Maybe you're lucky and it's woodworking  ;D ;)

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 06:28:39 AM »
Congratulations and good luck for today, Ully! ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »

thx to "time pilot" toralf i have managed to add another must-have b/w game to my collection - and it is a REAL CLASSIC :arrow:

here's the story behind it: a couple of weeks ago i was contaced by toralf if i would be interested in a midway space invaders. of course i was! :P.

he was interested in one of my cabs and so we agreed on a trade (i gave him some extra money because of the iconic status of space invaders). the problem is that toralf lives in the far north and i'm located in the far south. fortunately, luck was on our side! my brother was about to move from berlin (northern germany) down south (about 50 kilometers from my place) and he had hired a moving company from "down here" to transport his stuff. so i got in touch with them and asked them if they could transport my cab to berlin where it would be exchanged for another one (toralf's space invaders) to be taken back south again. "the only thing" toralf had to do was pick up the space invaders (i very long roadtrip in itself), transport it to berlin on the day of my brother's move and exchange the two cabinets.

great effort, toralf, thx again for that!

my task was much simpler: transport my game to the moving company and pick up the space invaders from my brother's place a couple of days later! 8)

fortunately, everything worked out as planned!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

here are a couple more pics that toralf sent me back then :arrow:

replacement control panel already on its way to germany

at first glance the condition seems to be ok

but as always it has the usual battle scars which will have to be touched up!

the same thing on the right side

what worries me the most is the fact that it has a wood worm at the bottom part of the cabinet. the seller told toralf that the wood worm is dead, but toralf said that he had a small pile of wood dust on his floor. when i unloaded the cab, parts of the wood at the bottom broke off :'(. i definitely need to look into this fast! does anyone have experience with wood worms?

inside, everything is present and clean

and before you ask, here's the answer :) :arrow:

thx again to toralf for making this possible!!! :-*

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 10:35:22 PM »
A real classic ! congrats !
and a good way of transporting also  :spaceace:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle