Author Topic: WAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOO !!! I've got one of my "Dream Machines" !  (Read 76314 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: WAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOO !!! I've got one of my "Dream Machines" !
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2010, 08:31:46 PM »
A big, no huge thank you goes out to RobinHolland for rescuing my beloved Ms.Pac AND bootleg Puckman PCB's !!!

Ms. Pac fully working again, will have to replace some sockets on the Puckman board as per Robin's advice....

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
Great to hear you can play ms-pacman again  :ghost:
I will keep the games alive in ridderkerk  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
Wow, haven't updated this for quite some time....

Well some time ago, once again, the Ms.Pac died. This time it went completely dead so I assumed a fuse had been blown.. The cause was also pretty obvious: The marquee lighting had long died (was blinking/light at the ends only) and the game took revenge on me for not fixing it earlier on....

So, ffwd a lot of time and today I had some time to work on it (huray !)

Replaced the ballast (bought at http://www.cedermangameparts.be, excellent price) , the tube-holders. I even bought a fresh tube and when I installed everything I first had to get the machine running again of course. I had already put in a new starter a long time ago (first thing to try when you have a bad light from a fluorescent).

SOoooo, I wanted to have a quick look at what fuse I had to replace. The secondary fuses all "beeped through" and I was already expecting the mains fuse to have blown. So I removed the cover and measured the 2 fuses there. To my surprise both beeped !!!

I was totally puzzled. This was impossible !

So I put mains power on it. I had 230V input and 120 V output on the step-down. Checked the interlock switch, the top-switch all fine....

Checked the schematics again....went back and measured again....then I tried to measure the fuses OUT of their clamps and bingo, of course the mains fuse was blown !!!

SOooooo, HOW could I measure a short (or almost a short) across that fuse ??

The explanation is simple: Normally, when the plug would have been unplugged in the US, I would have found the open fuse. BUT, since I know have the secondary wiring of the step-down transformer hooked up on the 120V input, things are a bit different. I'm also measuring through the primary winding of the original transformer AND the secondary of the step-down !
For direct current (DC) coils are nothing more than a piece of wire SO it will give a "beep" (or a couple of ohms at most in resistance setting).

This _did_ get me confused in the beginning but I figured it out... :)

So, anyway after replacing the fuse the machine powered up just fine. However, I still had a bad marquee lighting (it was only on at the ends !!!) WFT ?!?!!?
Not sure why, but I removed the starter while the machine was still on and presto: we have a full functioning tube !!!! Put the starter back in: Only light at the ends.
Conclusion: back to the store for a new starter. Although I had replaced it before it probably went defective when things "blew up"....

New starter installed (another Made in Holland product, just like the tube, wow ! ;) ) and yes....finally a PERFECT lit marquee !!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:17:46 AM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
cool that you got it working and that it was indeed only a blown fuse!!!

Replaced the ballast (bought at http://www.cedermangameparts.be, excellent price)

is that it?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »
Yeah, that would make me also go like "WTF!" but the stepdown transformer caused it

its oviouse that we are surprised by that because we are get used to just unplug it and measure it.

another valuable lesson for everyone, when testing fuses, do it "out of cirquit"

Thanks for todays lesson !  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
Yes Ully, that's it. Original US 120V ballasts....I think he sources them from Suzo.
But when I bought it it was only €6,20

Don't use the webshop, send Carl an e-mail through the link on this page:http://www.cedermangameparts.be/index.php?action=extra&extra=A_contact&lang=NL

The webshop doesn't cover 10% of what he sells AFAIK and I'm not too sure if those prices are the actual prices at this moment. Esp. pinball parts you have to ask and he usually has it !

@Etienne: Yeah....that's how "habits" can put you "on the wrong leg" as we say here...
Normally it's best to test fuses in the holder, and this is a very unusual situation, but again it indicates sometimes you have to think "further as your nose is long".... ;)