Author Topic: [Restoration] Waka Waka Waka (Pac-Man)  (Read 60103 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Restoration] Waka Waka Waka (Pac-Man)
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
slowly but surely my apartment is being turned into an arcade cabinet restoration assembly line. right now, here are the projects i'm working on and their currents status:

- wizard of wor: restoration almost done, waiting for andré to have a look at the monitor :arrow: 90 %
- centipede: restoration almost done, still waiting for the enhanced / edited overlay from mamemarquees.com :arrow: 90 %
- defender: still working on the sidearts, then reassembly :arrow: 70 %
- paperboy: waiting for nyogel lube to arrive from the states, then reassembly of the control handlebars :arrow: 80 %

as you can see, all of those restoration projects are close to being finished, that's why i "pulled out" the pac-man cab which i picked up on my trip to france last summer. because the cabinet is in a rough shape, it's getting the full "superully treatment".  8)

i took some pics of the entire cabinet to show its original condition, but i can't seem to find them anymore anywhere :(. so here's a picture i took when picking up the game. at first glance, the cabinet seems to be ok, but i'll show you detailed photos of the damages right afterwards.

as with almost all the pac-man games, the sides are worn out from holding on to them while playing the game

furthermore, there are deep scratches in the wood and more paint loss

the frontart doesn't look good either

in detail

the coin door

the midway logo plate has also seen better days

and - as always - the damaged t-molding

inside - dirt and spider webs  :shock:

as you should have realized by now, there's NO WAY the cabinet can stay like that. it has to be gutted entirely and redone from the beginning.

i'm starting at the bottom: rusty legs levelers all the way

once removed, the vinyl's original colour can be seen underneath. what a difference!

after a lot of cleaning and scrubbing, the bottom is not perfect but much better  :)

a rusty collection

the leg leveler mounting plates spend a cosy night in an anti-rust bath and are being treated with polish afterwards. on location  :arrow:

a new set of nylon casters to replace the rusted leg levelers - nice!  :-*

up next: wood works & sanding down the entire cabinet

to be continued ...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:34:50 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Waka Waka Waka
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:02:10 PM »
Wow! This is a work for THE-SUPA-ULLY  :D

Hey, finding spiders inside is a good sign: they keep the cab free from other tipe of insects and "beasts"  ;)
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
Nice Ully !

Time for a tattoo.. 

;D ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:05:01 PM »

the restoration continues ...

in order to fill all the holes and prep the cab for some fresh coats of paint, i have to sand it down first

i'm sorry, my blue and yellow friends, but you have to go as well!  :'(

uaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...

what do you think of that new pac-man look? looks as if mr pac-man has decided to go mad  :o

good-bye, pac-man!

the original plaque can't be removed without drilling out the bolts (which i don't want to do) ...

... that's why it has to be protected!

now that the cabinet has been sanded down, i can fill all the holes and restore the broken off wood with bondo - this machine was DUNNN!

here are just a few examples!

sanding job - completed!  :spaceace:

i've decided NOT to entirely repaint the inner black colour, but to just use a spray can to fix some imperfections like the following ones :arrow:

after a couple of new paint layers, the results are in  :)

the following picture still shows some imperfections, but they are highlighted by the use of flash. in reality, they are invisible. yeah, baby! 8)

up next: paint job

to be continued ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
Another interesting restoration Ully  :spaceace:

What will you use for the sides and front panels? Twobits stickers (as Bruno and me) or stencils?

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 04:49:19 PM »
It would be great to see a Pac-Man restoration with stencils. :)
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »

+1  :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »

+1  ;)

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:20:09 PM »
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

+1 too!

At the time, when I worked on my Pac Mac, I went to the 'Twobits stickers', because  the stencils were not available at the time.
But now, If I have to work on a similar project, I would go with the 'stencils' solution, for sure!

But hey, I'm very happy with my Pac Man anyway  :-*  All the Nuno's Lair visitors (Arcade fan or not) love this cabinet... and they ALL try that game  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
Twobits=evil !

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »
At the time, when I worked on my Pac Mac, I went to the 'Twobits stickers', because  the stencils were not available at the time.

True 1

But now, If I have to work on a similar project, I would go with the 'stencils' solution, for sure!

True 2

Twobits=evil !

True 3

:lol:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

retromax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
It's always painful to see them being stripped down........ but it obviousley needs to be done and i'm sure this is gonna look great ;D

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
What a difference being made of PLYWOOD makes vs. the usual crummy particleboard!  :-\

Not too many dings to fix because plywood is soo much stronger!  Haven't seen too many games made this way!

The cheap route always wins in assembly material costs!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
Very nice restoration Ully. I like the way you restore your cabs always to 'as good as new'. Must be a mess though in your apartment though with all those semi or nearly finished restoration projects.  ;D

Can't wait to see the photo's of the stencil job.