Author Topic: SegaSonic The Hedgehog suicide chip & battery  (Read 19485 times)

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
Re: SegaSonic The Hedgehog suicide chip & battery
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
Ouch! That is indeed bad.....but hey, we're still human, and humans make mistakes sometimes. I know I will feel bad for quite some time about that stupid battery, at least until there is a decrypted romset available ;D.

I almost made a mistake like yours with my Sagaia cab. The marquee is printed directly on the backside of the glass. While I was cleaning the front side I thought, hmmm, let's clean the back too while I'm at it. Thank god I noticed that the paint is coming loose of the glass, if I went over that with water or anything else I'm sure the paint/ink/...? would be flaking off too.

Is there anyone who knows how to protect the paint from flaking off? It's coming loose but there's no parts missing -YET-.

I'll try to find someone with a good scanner to scan the marquee, so I can try to vectorize it -just in case-.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
Good news! (for me :P)

I've been in contact with Chris from segaresurrection for some time and he started working on System 32 decryption over the past few weeks/months. He will send me a decrypted binary one of these days to give it a first test run :) He told me the decryption that is implemented in mame wasn't a very good one, so he started back from the beginning by writing new code for the driver. The decoded binaries should basically work, but there are still some small issues which need to be sorted out before the final release.
I guess this means that other protected System 32 games will also become available as decrypted roms. I'll ask him in my next email.

Thank god there are people like Chris, he did help a lot of System 16, 18, X owners already by decrypting those roms.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »
Chris sent me the non-protected binaries and I burnt them today to give them a first test. At first sight everything works as it should be! I'm still waiting for the trackballs to arrive but I'm pretty confident everything will work ok. No more suicidal behaviour to worry about ;D.

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »
No more suicidal behaviour to worry about ;D.

Nnnnnnice!
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Laschek

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »
Is there anyone who knows how to protect the paint from flaking off? It's coming loose but there's no parts missing -YET-.

Check out this great article about backglass restoration, perhaps it's of any help:

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 08:04:11 PM »
Thanks for that link! I'll try to read it tonight, it's a looooong article.

Laschek

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
Anyone who is into pinball & EM games should check out the whole site (http://www.pinrepair.com/). Tons of super elaborated repair and restoration guides, amazing work!

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 01:36:08 PM »
I am really sorry to hear about your unsuccessfull project. The FD1149 is a bit more difficult to manage than the FD1049. If you ever update a suicidebattery again, make sure you attach two CR2032 holders. One for the battery to use, and then a second for a backup battery when swapping your permanent battery.

But are there hacked roms of these games? I have a couple of F1 Super Lap boards that still live, but who know for how long. They have the 1149 onboard.

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »
Every title has a dedicated FD1149 chip (code on sticker), so a chip from another game won't work. But it's not needed anyway, I have the decrypted roms now and they tested fine!

I swapped FD1094 batteries before, those are easy to handle, but the FD1149 is a real nightmare because the battery lugs are soldered directly to the pcb within that deep case.