Author Topic: [Roadtrip] First Time on the Road in 2010 (Championship Sprint)  (Read 50236 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Roadtrip] First Time on the Road in 2010 (Championship Sprint)
« on: January 07, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »

well, the new year is just a few days old and i'm back on the road again. i couldn't resist the temptation of bidding on the atari system 2 championship sprint which was listed on ebay germany a couple of days ago. and i got it CHEAP  ;D

although the seller is located in switzerland, the distance to be covered is less than other roadtrips i have done in germany.

here's what's coming up  :arrow:

although it's cold outside and there's still a lot of snow lying around, the road conditions should be ok. looking out of my kitchen window, everything is still peaceful and quiet.

for the record

and the travel projection

for the road, a nice little breakfast

not a lot of traffic on the german autobahns - and luckily no snow or ice

all of a sudden, the sky clears up and a bright yellow object appears. when did i see it the last time? it takes minutes for me to remember its name, but finally i succeed: the beautiful object in the sky is called SUN!!!  ;)

in case you guys are having a hard time, too, let me help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun  :P

i'm parking my car on one of the rest areas to take a break. without realizing it, i'm pulling up next to that shiny mercedes

have a look at the licence plate - what a coincidence: SWITZERLAND  8)

speaking of switzerland, without any further delays i arrive at the german-swiss border

"on the other side" i soon have to realize that i've entered a country i've never been to before. even the cows look different  ;)

a winter wonderland

but the roads are safe to drive on

this is where i have to go

i still wonder what's for sale down there

"captain, we have just reached our destination town!"

the cab is located in a storage building in an old army wing - i love that photo  :-*

i'm giving the seller a call that i have arrived. unfortunately he's telling me that he had to leave on an urgent matter, but he's sending down his daughter to open up the gate. sadly, she's in a hurry, so we don't have a lot of time for pictures :(. this is the only one i'm able to snatch  :arrow:

championship sprint in the pit lane  :D

crossing back into germany. the police are there, but they are busy going through a car just ahead of me, so i manage to slip through customs unnoticedly  :ghost:

by the side of the road i'm spotting this strange landmark: little paris - i wonder what it's there for  ???

while driving home on the autobahn, i see a sign pointing towards germany's largest source of fresh water - the AACHQUELLE. "hmmm, never heard of it", i think to myself. but roadtrips are not just there for the games, but also for educational purposes and since i'm a teacher of geography, it's a good chance to educate myself a little bit further on that topic. so off the autobahn and on towards the water ...

as a had expected, nothing spectacular, but it's a nice short walk around a pool of water which i'm happily going to do

suddenly, i hear a strange noise, something like a donkey shouting! of course, i can't resist and have to check out where the sound is coming from ...

ah, here's the evil-doer - you can even see him (her?) shouting!

i don't wanna get too close, because i've heard of people being attacked by a goose. but i manage to take another picture

puuuh, what an adventure  ;)

time to head home (for good this time) and unload the game. once this is restored, it will look superb next to my paperboy  :-*

the end results are in

one continent, two countries, 662 kilometers, 9 hours 10 minutes on the road - this roadtrip is OFFICIALLY OVER!

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] First Time on the Road in 2010 (Championship Sprint)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
Another nice game Ully  :-* :-* (I love Championship Sprint).
Great (first of 2010) catch  :spaceace: and for only 20.50€  :o
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:29:48 PM »
Finally! been waiting for the story!
Congrats on the cab! and 20.50€ - even cheaper than the Paper Boy, and in much better condition!
that sure will look good besides the Paper Boy!, is it working??

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
HOLY F, that's a STEAL !!!

Lovely road-trip pics as always, and finally I know what you teach. I've always been meaning to ask but never got round to it...

Very nice, hope to be able to play it at your place ;) ;)
So, is it working ?? ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:47:16 AM »
So, is it working ??

i haven't plugged it in yet (and won't be for a while), but the auction description stated that it has some kind of monitor issue. there was one photo listed which shows the status of the machine when turned on (i have NO IDEA whether you can hear any game sounds)  :arrow:

andré, you told me that it looks more like a pcb than a monitor issue. what do you guys think? try to get a new working pcb first?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »
You are the king of road trips! Beautiful pictures and a very nice catch.

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:08:46 PM »
Nice trip Ully! You got it at last  ;)

Which monitor your machine is equipped with? I hope you are more lucky than me (mine is a "never-had-spare parts" Zenith WG  :'()

:spaceace:
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »

thx for the kind words, but that title surely belongs to bruno. at best, i am his crown prince. :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »
Which monitor your machine is equipped with? I hope you are more lucky than me (mine is a "never-had-spare parts" Zenith WG  :'()

it's a med-res monitor, but i don't know the exact details, because i've only got one key for the machine - but there are three locks. unfortunately, thos one key only opens the coin box door, not the door to the coin mechs and even worse not the back door. i have no idea what's inside that cabinet, but i expect a lot of dirt because the whole machine is damn dirty.

does anyone have a piece of advice on how to get those tubular locks open properly?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 01:16:25 PM »
And Ully did it again, a really nice catch for a very low price. Congratulations.  :)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 01:21:14 PM »

thx for the kind words, but that title surely belongs to bruno. at best, i am his crown prince. :)

hahahaha, that's true, time for you to build your own lair  ;)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
does anyone have a piece of advice on how to get those tubular locks open properly?

hehe, cant you drill it out, or reach it from the back door?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:44:17 PM by Muerto »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »
hehe, cant you drill it out, or reach it from the back door?

backdoor: there's also a lock without a key  >:(

drilling: no electricity in the shed, will have to move the game to another location. BUT: how to drill out that type of lock?

I HATE IT WHEN THE KEYS ARE MISSING   :evil:

any suggestions regarding the monitor? i have a huge package coming in from the usa soon and could fit in a CS pcb. i'll try to move the game tomorrow and plug it in ...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:56:46 PM by Superully »

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 05:17:05 PM »
Nice catch, only 20,50€ :D

Regarding the monitor, you'll have to plug it in and see for yourself. Then you can post the details here and someone will probably know whether it's the monitor or pcb ;) The image looks like garbled graphics, so it could be a pcb issue, but it's too hard to tell from the small picture...

I'd like to see a video when you open a lock with Muerto's method :P ;).
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 05:37:43 PM »
[andré, you told me that it looks more like a pcb than a monitor issue. what do you guys think? try to get a new working pcb first?

Yes, it looks like the monitor is working, you should be able to see some kind of pictures, but it seems just a frozen screen.

Matteo