Author Topic: My Dragon's Lair Fan-fiction  (Read 12246 times)

Matt

• View Profile
My Dragon's Lair Fan-fiction
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
Disclaimer:  I own none of the characters portrayed in this story.

I wrote this after seeing speculation on the internet of how you could make Daphne a playable character in a future Dragon’s Lair game.  This would obviously take place after the events of the first Dragon’s Lair, though not necessarily in the same continuity as DL2:   

He watched her from the doorway. How beautiful she looked as she sat at the window looking toward the north. Toward the Dark Lands.  In the moonlight, he could see that she had been crying.  Dirk knew what many people thought of Daphne, but few knew her as he did.  Where they saw only a ditz, he saw a kind and loving heart; a heart he would always be grateful  she had chosen to give to him.  For  they had always loved each other, and that love had only grown with the births of their children; their children who were now somewhere in the Dark Lands.  
   Dirk sat next to his wife, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.  
   “Halvern located them.  They’re definitely being held in Singe’s Castle.  Please reconsider, Daphne, you know how dangerous the Dark Lands are!”  
   Daphne looked at Dirk, her eyes gentle but determined.  
   “I know that Dirk, but I have to go.  They’re our children and I have this feeling that you’re going to need my help.  I can’t explain it.”  
   Dirk nodded.  As much as he hated the idea of putting Daphne in danger, he understood.  Hell, he even admired her for it.  And truth be told, he would be glad to have the company.  
   “I won’t fight you on this anymore”, he sighed.  “But we’d better leave soon.  I suspect we’re running out of time.”  
   For a long moment they looked into each others’ eyes, then embraced.  Dirk marveled that anyone could think of this woman that he loved so much as a mere “ditz”.  For he knew she had the heart of a lion, and Mordroc would soon learn why you don’t come between a lioness and her cubs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:33:12 PM by Matt »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: My Dragon's Lair Fan-fiction
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »
Hi Matt, and ... as I can understand regarding your text... you're in the right place  :-* So welcome to the DLF website.

I really like your (too) short story. Man... What an idea! They are so many stories about our favorites characters... but what about Daphne or Dirk?... I need to read more Matt  ;) Do you plan to write a long story (prequel or sequel ?)... please... more info on your project?  :P

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome DarthNuno! :)  Since I know at least one person likes it, I will add to the story.  The reason I did this is because I could never find any Dragon's Lair fan-fiction.  Somebody had to fill the void.  Plus, I've lost faith in Don Bluth making his long-promised movie.

METALHEAD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:47:36 AM »
Please do keep going.  That has an EXCELLENT start.  I didn't think of the depth that you have given the characters.  Just remember to make Dirk a little bit Goofy :P

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:25:53 PM »
I'll make sure to keep the humor in Metalhead.  Thanks for the reply :).  Another one is coming soon!

METALHEAD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:02:49 AM »
Wooot!  Will be watching :)

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:28:28 AM »
The funny thing is, with this story I could almost bridge the gap between DL1 and DL2.  The only thing that stops me is that damn mother-in-law character at the beginning of DL2. She just never made any sense.  I mean, she's clearly not a queen, she looks nothing like Daphne, and even indirectly endangers Daphne by trying to take out Dirk.  God I hate that character. She's the Jar Jar Binks of the Don Bluth world, and she's not in my story.  End of rant.

Oh and I've got the basic outline for the next chapter. I'll start working on the details this weekend.

METALHEAD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »
Ya I was a bit thrown off on that one too.  I mean, maybe the guys writting it were pissed off at their mother in laws and that was a way of insulting her without doing it directly to the face and being able to escape the wrath of the mother in law LOL

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »
Ok I'm throwing in the towel on this one.  I can't write.  Everything I've written after this is embarrassingly awful. :'(

If anyone's interested, I can post some of what I've written. But this stuff blows.  Now I know how it feels to be Akiva Goldsman (writer of "Batman and Robin" for those who don't know). 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:44:34 PM by Matt »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »
No problem Matt,

Just publish when you'll have THE inspiration. No rush on this  8)

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 10:44:37 AM »
Just for fun, I thought I'd give you the Ruby-Spears version of this scene:

Dirk: I must go to Singe's Castle and rescue our kids!

Daphne: Not without me you're not!

Dirk: All right, but only as far as the Dark Lands.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:48:35 AM by Matt »