Author Topic: Road trip - Ga.... Gala....... Galaxian  (Read 32797 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Road trip - Ga.... Gala....... Galaxian
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »

Yesterday I was finally able to pick up another classic cab from the same seller, Andreas, where I also got my Asteroids from (https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1314.0) . Actually, I bought both games at the same time, so this is a kind of Part II of the road trip.

Statistics:
Date: 3 february 2010
Author: ckong
Target: Galaxian (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7885)
Trip: Holland – Germany - Holland
Total length: 1175 kilometers
Duration: 13.5 hours

I had planned to visit a customer of me in Darmstadt, Germany, and then drive further south in the afternoon to pick up the cab. Unfortunately the customer cancelled the appointment a day before. >:(  However, as I already had postponed this trip several times due to the winter weather, and because I knew Andreas would like to get rid of the cab, I still decided to go. Of course I first checked the weather forecast, which learned me (again) never to believe them.

Andreas would be at home at 5.30 PM and the last time I drove to him I needed 5.5 hours. So I left at 11 AM, which gave me some extra time just in case. The weather was looking good, this can’t go wrong I thought. I brought something to eat and something to read with me (I know, I have to catch up with reading)

German windmills

The weather is good on the highway, all the way to Frankfurt. I am singing along with the car radio

Although ……. There are getting more clouds in the sky going south

Then I stop singing, because of this

It all happens around here, and I still have to drive 250 kilometers!  :o

Snow, snowy mud on the road, no fun at all  :?

Then something strange happens. On the navigation system I see two traffic jams just ahead of me.

I hardly have time to take a picture of it because they suddenly disappear:

What a relief, I think, and I look up again. WOW, hit the brakes, there is a real traffic jam in front of me:

All in all this took  about half an hour extra time, which I spend very well:

It’s always good to know why there is a traffic jam:

I arrived at the A7, and the road is looking better. I also need a break

It’s 4 PM and a little further down the A7 I decided to have an early dinner. I know it’s not Burger King, nor McDonalds. If only I had known that at the next stop there was a Burger King! Ït also started to snow again:

Modern day amusement. Not my cup of tea

The weather was getting worse and worse again, and when I almost reached my destination I wasn’t happy at all, there was a fog, it was snowing, the roads got really slippery and I felt alone, like Remi.

Finally, at exactly 5.30 PM I was at Andreas place. And there she was, my Galaxian cab, and Andreas girlfriend from whom I got some nice coffee.

Due to the bad weather Andreas was a bit delayed, but as soon as he arrived we started to load the cab in the car (you can see from the motion in the photo’s that I didn’t take them  :D)

That’s that. I took the opportunity to take some nice photo’s of Andreas collection. Actually he has only a few ‘classic’ cab left, like Rad mobile and Star Wars Trilogy. Andreas also did put an XBOX in Rad Mobile with some driving games like Outrun 2006. Very nice indeed.

But what sure is impressive is his candy cab collection. Andreas has a lot of candy cabs, and there are some special ones amongst them. Most of you don’t like candy cabs, but just check it out. It’s funny that he bought some of these cabs at the same place where I got a few of mine, like IC ’09 and at rklok in Holland.

One thing to do, payment of course.

Oh, Andreas also gave me three fully working 20” arcade monitors with chassis for free. That’s a nice guy. Thank you Andreas, and your girlfriend for this and for the warm welcome and nice coffee.

After the payment I went home, fearing what road conditions I would meet. I didn’t take any pictures because I really had to focus on driving. The first 40 kilometers were on inland roads which were very slippery. But when I arrived at Würzburg all trouble was gone and I could maintain speeds like 150 kilometers per hour. It’s strange how quick the weather can change.

10 PM. I am hungry and I arrive at a Burger King:

Unfortunately they were just closing, so I drove further home. I arrived at home at 12.30 AM. Final statistics:

About the Galaxian cab: although the woodwork of the cab is in pretty good condition, it will still need a bit restoration work. I will open a new topic for that and one day this cab will be as nice as my Donkey Kong cab.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:52:13 PM by DarthNuno »

jcp

• View Profile
Re: Road trip - Ga.... Gala....... Galaxian
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »
Another great roadtrip from Erik : thanks for sharing your pictures :-*.

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
1175 kilometers on the road (and bad weather):  RESPECT man!

"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »
wow erik, what a ride. could have warned you about the road conditions, because you were travelling through "my part" of the country and we didn't have school yesterday because of the horrible road conditions. respect for doing the same roadtrip twice within such a short time, but of course the cabs you got were well worth it. have fun and thx for sharing!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »
Jesus ! These last days were clearly NOT days for doing road trip'  :o Snow ! Accident ! Bad visibility ! ...  :o
But you did it, congratulation!  :) 'Arcade Life Style' spirit  :-*
At least... you're on the pictures!!! Very important too  ;)
I love that story : all the elements are there ... even a Burger King story (too bad it was closed)!
And wow... what a great reward : GALAXIAN (one of my all time three best games with Pac Man & Xevious) !!!

Thanks for sharing this story with us'  :-*

As usual, and because you real deserve it after a such journey in the snow :arrow:

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

ps : an other appropriate road trip name would be : "Galaxian ... the first road trip on planet HOTH"  ;D ;D  :P

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
Congrats with the new baby !

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »
Nice score!

I like Andreas' SNK SC-19 cab a lot, it looks very clean 8). He should repaint the Egret 29's though, they are too much yellowed...
I also spot a Megalo control unit but not the projection screen?
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
Great cab Erik - congratulations !!!

:spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »
It looks in excellent condition ! Well worth the trip. Galaxian was my first original. One of the games I vividly remember playing a lot as a kid and I still love every bit of it :)

Good score on the monitors too !

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 04:53:04 AM »
congratulations on another great score!!!!

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:40 AM »
great pics and nice story!
You are building quite a nice gameroom with some real classics.  :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »
Yeah , he has to, because i listen him say something about celebrating a birthday in the new shed  ;D ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 01:32:38 PM »
Congrats! The artwork is really great, but i like the gameplay on Galaga better. You got a great collection, and are just getting started.

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
Yes!  Galaxian!!  Congrats on your new game!!

And what a distinct sounding game this is, everytime I hear it play, I'm back in 1981 !  !    :D