Author Topic: [Restoration] Paperboy - delivering papers ... again!  (Read 60973 times)

JG

• View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Paperboy - delivering papers ... again!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »
Nice to see! I also remember playing that in the arcades as a kid. Keep working!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 04:45:40 PM »
before i post more pictures of the restoration process, i had to turn the game on to test the rebuilt controller (more of that soon). here's what i got on the screen:

as you can see, the picture is there, but it's turned upside down. haven't been able to locate a dip switch that flips the picture. any suggestions?

furthermore, stefan already told me that there was a problem with the pcb when i bought the game. sometimes it freezes, sometimes the biker sprite disappears, sometimes the game jumps back into the menu during gameplay.

so i turned on the test switch and here's what i got (also upside down):

RAM ERROR AT 3P  :'(

i guess the best option would be to have those rams (and roms?) replaced. has anyone had experience with burning new chips? anything i have to look out for?

give me some input please  :)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
Are the RAMs socketed ? If so switch over the one on 3P with another one and run the self-test again. Look what happens. If the error moves to the new spot, it's a bad RAM chip. If not....it could be the socket or trace problems. But it can also be buffer chips..

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 07:10:14 PM »
just to make sure that i' reading the manual correctly. there are 8 identical types of RAM (6116P-3) in the "third row" of the board. have a look  :arrow:

if i count correctly from left to right, the one that produces the error is labeled as 3P/R in the manual and should be the sixth ram from the left (i've highlighted it in red in the following picture).

i have then exchanged this ram with other rams from the same row, but nothing changes: RAM ERROR AT 3P. just to make sure i'm not misreading this: 3P is the position of the ram and NOT the type of ram (because they are all tye 6116P-3), right?

ok, your turn now ...  ;)

p.s.: i've just realized that i've made a GIGANTIC reconstruction error with the controller. this means unsoldering wires, disassembling major parts of the controller and starting almost from scratch. damn, just because i didn't look closely at the pictures i took for reference before reassembling. what a beginner's mistake!  >:(  :'(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:12:31 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
Like Level42 said, if swapping gives the same problem: check all the traces coming from/going to that particular chip at position 3P (continuity test with a DMM).
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »
before i post more pictures of the restoration process, i had to turn the game on to test the rebuilt controller (more of that soon). here's what i got on the screen:

as you can see, the picture is there, but it's turned upside down. haven't been able to locate a dip switch that flips the picture. any suggestions?

give me some input please  :)

what about this.....

1. dissasemble the monitor from the cab.
2. assemble the monitor in the cab, but flip it 180 degrees.

I'm 100% sure this solve the "upsidedown" problem  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
The selftests by Atari always indicate the _position_ of the chip IT THINKS is bad. (Think about it, it wouldn't be much use if it said a certain _type_ of chip was bad, while there are multiple of them on the board, which is almost always the case with RAM and ROM.

So, yes that's the correct RAM chip you indicated. :D

That controller looks even worse than the SW yoke !  :shock:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »
what about this.....

1. dissasemble the monitor from the cab.
2. assemble the monitor in the cab, but flip it 180 degrees.

I'm 100% sure this solve the "upsidedown" problem  ;D

i marked the orientation of the monitor once i had taken it outside the cab, but could it be that i switched it? i'd say NO, but who knows? is it possible that i made TWO rookie mistakes within one day? why not?  ;)

that monitor and the chassis were a pain in the ass to move, but better an easy fix like turning the monitor than something else. i'll keep you posted. thx for the input  :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
The selftests by Atari always indicate the _position_ of the chip IT THINKS is bad. (Think about it, it wouldn't be much use if it said a certain _type_ of chip was bad, while there are multiple of them on the board, which is almost always the case with RAM and ROM.
So, yes that's the correct RAM chip you indicated. :D

guess i'll have to check for broken traces and continuity then? never done that on a board before, anything i need to know? where to start with it, where to end?

That controller looks even worse than the SW yoke !  :shock:

don't know about the SW yoke, but this thing took me HOURS to reassemble and there were points when i thought i'd never get it back together again (the wires, the bearings, the tension springs, ...), but i think i'm there now. need some screws to replace the rusted old ones though. where can i order smaller screws? the home depots don't carry sizes like that!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »
First check: Put the PCB on it's side in front of you and support it with something so it can't flip over.
Now put your DVM in diode test. Hold the left lead (doesn't matter red or black) on the pin of the IC and the right lead on the actual soldering island on the PCB. It should of course beep right away. Check all the pins of that IC.Also visually check the socket.
If that is all OK, you will have to trace every track of every pin to which it should be going acc. to the schematics and test like-wise if the tracks are still 100% conducting.

Also remember: The self-test can mis-lead you. I've the same problem with the 2 Centi boards of Ckong and Gyruss. Replaced the indicated RAM, but still the same error.

I think it can also be another RAM causing it but it can also be the buffer IC's around the processor.

About the controller: Don't you just love this hobby ? ;D ;D

Small screws ? They are probably also non-metric, good luck finding those in Europe !

But I found this great source in the UK: http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/fixings.htm

Great communications through e-mail, honest prices and shipping costs. And they have both metric and imperial sizes.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:50:30 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
First check: Put the PCB on it's side in front of you and support it with something so it can't flip over.
Now put your DVM in diode test. Hold the left lead (doesn't matter red or black) on the pin of the IC and the right lead on the actual soldering island on the PCB. It should of course beep right away. Check all the pins of that IC.Also visually check the socket.
If that is all OK, you will have to trace every track of every pin to which it should be going acc. to the schematics and test like-wise if the tracks are still 100% conducting.

thx for that short write up, i'll do that probably tomorrow (if i have the time, haven't done anything for school over the last few days :-[). one question remains: what is a SOLDERING ISLAND?

About the controller: Don't you just love this hobby ? ;D ;D

for me that really is one of the reasons! when frustration turns slowly but surely into pure joy - i just love it :-*

But I found this great source in the UK: http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/fixings.htm

thx for that link, i'll have a closer look at the shop later!

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
thx for that short write up, i'll do that probably tomorrow (if i have the time, haven't done anything for school over the last few days :-[). one question remains: what is a SOLDERING ISLAND?

Take a look on this link at the first image: http://www.frbiz.com/product/11124871/Repairing_Tool_for_CT_936ESD_Anti_Static_Soldering_Station.html
As called soldering station.  ;) ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
WHAT?  ???

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
The soldering station is a tool to made precise soldering on pcb or elctronic circuit, with a precise temperature and a little tip.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
i know what a soldering station is, flip, because i have one at home, but andré was talking about soldering ISLANDS!