Author Topic: [Roadtrip] - After Burner & Chase H.Q.  (Read 43773 times)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
[Roadtrip] - After Burner & Chase H.Q.
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »

I have been looking for a race cabinet for quite some time.
After having some bad luck with an Outrun 2 cabinet and passing on a Super Hang On, I got a text message from Ronald Reagan with some very good news regarding a free Taito Chase HQ cab on Marktplaats.nl

I used to play this game quite a lot on my Amiga 500. It’s far from a classic but still a very fun game.
The owner told me everything works fine and the cab even includes the original manual and keys.

Because I have been very busy at work, I didn’t have the time to pick the cabinet up right away. So a couple of weeks passed by and just before I was planning to make the roadtrip I got another message from Mister President himself.

This time the message was about a very cheap After Burner upright cabinet located close to the Chase HQ cab.
I played this game quite a lot in our local arcade and on the Mega Drive so it was a no-brainer to give this baby a new home!

The games are located in Apeldoorn and Wageningen, not too far from my home.

Because both games are very heavy my girlfriend and I rented some transportation.

Enough space!

For such a big truck we need some appropriate music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDogAHSxlI

The navigation is set.

Here we go!

After about half an hour its time for our first pit stop.

Time to get something to eat and drink.

A coincidence?  

My girlfriend favourite snack.

And of course the real roadtrip food. Sorry Bruno, this Gas station doesn’t sell Doctor Pepper.

When we walk back to the truck we get offered some goods from somebody’s trunk.
Are it drugs, weapons or cigarettes?

No, its something way more innocent;)

Time to smoke a cigarette and enjoy the view

The owner is leaving his house in about half an hour, time to hit the road again.

No time for Burger King, we will eat something on the way back.

Half and hour later we arrive in Wageningen.

Quite a depressing town.

We arrive at the location

The owner is a collector of jukeboxes.

And there it is: AFTERN BURNER 2!!

The owner moves the cab to the truck

The cabinet is quite heavy!

Enough room for another cabinet. Time to go get the Chase HQ!!

Off to Apeldoorn we go.

We are almost there

Wait a minute, what’s this, the camera isn’t working anymore! Seems like the same problem Burno got.  
F*&#@,  this means there will be no pictures of the Chase HQ pickup.

When I got home, the camera seems to work again. Here is the Chase HQ Cabinet

The cabinet works perfectly, when you get close to the car you chasing the marque flashes just like real Patrol lights.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFDmJeGO6Q

The side art. Looks like Taito took inspiration from Miami Vice

And here is the After Burner Cabinet. The front is in quite good shape

But the side art is severe damaged; it’s fixed with black duck tape.

The game itself isn’t working fully. After one minute the screen freezes and there is also no sound.
The light on top aren’t working, but that’s a known problem and should be possible to fix.

Hope you guys enjoy the story and extra special thanks to Ronald Reagan!!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:29:26 PM by gyruss »

Dazza

• View Profile
Re: Road Trip - After Burner & Chase H.Q.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Not wrong when you say depressing town, Santa Claus has hanged himself!!!!

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
Re: [Roadtrip] - After Burner & Chase H.Q.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:53:15 PM »
Nice roadtrip report! I wish I could've done that too....

Your cabs can stand up in the van. We weren't so lucky, those 2 big bastards (Sagaia & T2) couldn't stand up. So we had to lay one flat and the other tilted on the first cab :-\.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »
The game itself isn’t working fully. After one minute the screen freezes and there is also no sound.

The Mb must be checked,

If it freezes (it used to do even in my Dlx when not turning it on every week) try to

1) clean the Mb

2) put it back in the cab and keep the game turned on for at least 6 hrs for 2 day

It should work again

in case it doesn't it is a problem of maintenance and must be repaired or changed

For sound I think you should checked the output on an another cab (but of course it is not easy due to the fact that AB is a system 16 and you don't have a outrun cab to swap)

Check speaker first if work correctly

then we'll see

The light on top aren’t working also, but that’s a known problem and should be possible to fix.

Yes, it is the typical bug of all Ab cabs

MAv
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:28:22 PM by Maverick »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:27:23 PM »
Thanks, I will check the MB, did your machine also have a problem with the sound??

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »
Luckly not,

but check what I said for that problem

Mav

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:40:41 PM »
I see, thanks for the help!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »
First of all, many thanks to you for sharing this road trip :-*

Wow... Chase H.Q.! For some reason, it's not recognized as a real classic  ??? ... but ... holy Christ... It's a classic... I mean the game rocks, and it's still very fun to play nowadays  8)  So good choice  :) Of course, it's not a 'mainstream' game...  but those who didn't play on arcade... played it on Amiga 500 (or ST?)... so all gamers have to know that game!  ;D ...and who can resist to the famous introduction : "This is Nancy at Chase HQ, We've got an emergency here !:P :-*

Regarding the road trip... nice to associate a CD! I like to do it too  ;) (...but I'm not a RAP or R&B fan... except maybe the 'lovely' Rihanna  :-*;)

Now this picture  :arrow:

Ok, no Dr Pepper but at least the famous BIFI (but not the WORLD famous 'BIFI ROLL'  :P). I love that picture... because you had to take it in front of the cashier who was to wonder why making a photograph of these objects  ;D So ArcadeLifeStyle  ;D

Very depressing  :roll: :oops:  :arrow:

And now you got an After Burner upright! Congratulation... a TRUE classic...and really fun to play! This is the most played game these day in my Game Room  :-*

Like almost all the AB upright cabs I've seen, some damages on the side art stickers, but you're lucky, it's not too damaged on your!

Good work on these two new games  :)

PS : smoking is dangerous  :oops: ... take care  :-\

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »
haha great story with great pics. The Bifi sausage is classic.
A genuine Arcade Lifestyle Road Trip!! :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
And again a fellow dutch arcade collector with a very nice catch, two actually  ;D

It's nice to know that you got yourself an AB II, I will pickup mine next Sunday I hope. Too bad about the sideart, but at least the front of the cab looks damn good. Mine is missing two stickers on the front, but the sideart is still in very good condition.

Pitty we can't link the cabs over the internet and play the game together. Would be nice.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:59:10 PM »
Nice trip, great score!!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »
2) put it back in the cab and keep the game turned on for at least 6 hrs for 2 day

It should work again

?? Pretty interesting way to fix it ? I wouldn't let a frozen board powered on for an extended period.

First thing to check are the power voltages. If these are too low (measure on the game PCB) it could easily let the game freeze. Next thing would be checking all the connections. A basic but often overlooked thing and it should be done on every old game, running or not.
If it freezes after heating up (which apparently happens) I would first let it go through the self-test (if it has one). If that doesn't indicate anything I would get out the freezing spray and try to target it on the processor and RAM first.
You could also try to feel if any of the chips get unusually hot and try the spray there. If you then can reset the game (hopefully there's a reset button) and it will run again, until it heats up again, you have a "winner". :D

By the way, nice catch and it must be getting "crowdy" in your gameroom :)

I'd consider Chase as a "modern" classic. It's a good game and it still has it's play-fun.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:45:23 PM by Level42 »

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:59:41 PM »
Congratulations!!

Afterburner is a great game....

I'm suprised no one has attempted to get the awesome sitdown motion simulation style Afterburner cabinet!  It's always cool to see it in T2!

I know I'd love to have this style of the game... The last time I saw one was at a bowling alley in 1993, while playing Mortal Kombat.. when MK was still new! 

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »
I have played the sitdown AfterBurner a couple of months ago here in Holland at an 90's Arcade. Not an easy game.

check for photo's: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1046.0
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

When I got some spare time I'll follow the advice about checking the power voltages and the connections.
The strange thing is that the machine runs perfect in demo mode, no freeze, nothing, but when I start playing the problem occurs.

And yes indeed, my game room is totally full; The plan is to get everything working properly and not buy anything new in the coming months/ year. But I don’t think I have to tell you guys how these things work :lol:

@ckong: Playing After Burner over the internet would be awesome!!
I’m sure you will really enjoy yours; it seems in almost perfect condition.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:13:34 AM by gyruss »