Author Topic: [Restoration] Marble Madness - it's all downhill from here ...  (Read 7803 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Restoration] Marble Madness - it's all downhill from here ...
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:57:18 PM »

one of the first arcade machines i bought (if i remember correctly it was #2) was an atari road blasters. i only bought that so that i could convert it into marble madness one day (that's one of the advantages the system 1 cabs have). i was lucky enough to find a complete marble madness kit (including daughter board, control panel and marquee) in england. although it was quite expensive, i couldn't have been more happy. after a lot of trouble with getting it up and running (in the end, it turned out to be a problem with the wiring harness), the conversion from road blasters to marble madness is now complete! here's in a few pictures what went down ...

back in the days, i didn't take roadtrip and restoration pics :'(, that's why i don't have any pictures of the cab in its original form. in case you have no idea what a road blasters machine looks like, i "stole" the following pic from bruno. come on, sue me  ;)

the gas pedal won't be needed for marble madness (although it would be a cool feature 8)), that's why i have to fill the holes where the pedal once was. i'm using dowels and wooden disks for a rough first "filling"

this is how the "ex-pedal area" looks like afterwards  :arrow:

preparing the front for a nice "coat" of new vinyl

done! no more road blasters signs visible  :)

the whole cab receives the usual cleaning, here's the power block in a before and after shot!

the control panel itself isn't too bad, but not good enough  ;)

in detail  :arrow:

so off to my new best friend with it - the powdercoater  :spaceace:

now all i need is a new overlay. got this from arcadeshop.com - top quality!

the application process

removing the protective paper

wow!!!

man, this is SHINY - you almost need sunglasses 8)! with the trackballs installed (where i replaced the bearings and rollers), it looks absolutely amazing!

of course, the coin door also got a new powdercoat. and as you can see, i copied phetishboy's idea (from the american klov forum) and replaced the dull black t-molding with the daring light blue version. it took me a while, but now i'm completely in love with it  :-* i like the idea of setting the individual atari system 1 games apart, e.g. indiana jones will get the orange t-molding to fit the control panel!

there are only some minor things left to do like adding the backdoor sheet (once i get the original one from eric) or replacing a coin door light, but all in all this restoration is finished. now i can enjoy playing it! man, this game with the trackball control is way harder than the amiga version was ...

let the marbles roll, it's all downhill from here ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Marble Madness - it's all downhill from here ...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »
beautiful - i would really like to add a MM to my collection one day!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:17:08 PM »
Guess what? I had the same idea than you when I got my RB  ::) Marble Madness power!!!!!!!!!  :-* :-* :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:06:39 AM »
Yeah yeah yeah !!! Will love to play against you my friend !!! :D

yuppicide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:00:54 AM »
Sexy. Great game also.

You ever play Irritating Maze from SNK / Neo Geo? It used a roller ball also. I love that game.

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
Great resto Ully  :spaceace:

Nice cab and game  :-* :-*
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 11:22:16 PM »
....... preparing the front for a nice "coat" of new vinyl

What kind of vinyl did you use? Can it also be used for a Centipede frontpanel?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 11:48:13 PM »
What kind of vinyl did you use? Can it also be used for a Centipede frontpanel?

it's the black pica vinyl from happ controls that both andrĂ© and i are using. i wouldn't use it for the centipede front, because centipede uses laminate (or whatever it is called) for that. however, black pica is a nice match for the backdoor and the top. you will see that in my "centipede with a twist" thread which will (hopefully) start shortly  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!