Author Topic: The Three Stooges, I mean Bezerks. Blowing life into them again....  (Read 82288 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: The Three Stooges, I mean Bezerks. Blowing life into them again....
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »
I've just ordered some TL tubes from my favorite supplier (RS online, they're incredible, stuff they have in stock gets delivered the NEXT day and even for tiny orders no shipping costs).

NO SHIPPING COSTS AT ALL??  :shock:

couldn't resist, had to check mine. i've got the same tube type: F14T12CW

@andré: if i understand this correctly, rs online is just for people with a business, right? do you think it would be possible to add another tube (better: two - one as a replacement) to your order? you could bring them along when you're coming over in january!  :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:14:24 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »
Since shipping is free anyway, I will simply order two more ! :D

(Maybe they will combine it since it will be coming from the US).

I can't understand how they can do it.

And yes you need a chamber of commerce number.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
It is done, my friend.

I actually was able to change the order. :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »
I'm keeping my restoration thread on the BYOAC forum here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97846.0

Something I noticed: The screws/bolts used to mount the PCB's on the tray are exactly the same size as used for PC cases ! Since the original screws mostly don't have a phillips or normal screwdriver cut into the head, you have to remove them with a hex tool, but of course they are imperials sized. So used pliers, but of course they are very tight after all those years and it's very clumsy to have to use pliers.

So, I'm planning on buying these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16111

(Note these guys don't have any shipping costs either !)

These don't require any tool so great if you need to replace PCB's regularly (I still will have to repair (or at least try) some of the PCBs).

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2009, 02:10:59 PM »
So, I'm planning on buying these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16111

i'm in for 3 sets if you order them and if you don't mind hoping on board ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2009, 12:07:32 AM »
Looks like they're out of stock now but any PC store that has a bit of case-modding stuff should have them too.

I'll keep an eye on these though as dealextreme is usually very cheap (also a good cheap source for basic thermal grease).

We just came home from family x-mas visit so have been away for about 8 hours and to my shock I noticed I had left the Berzerk running. Luckily it was still running happily in attract mode :)

No fires or defective PCBs :D

Good test :)

I must say I love the game. Again, the arcade version is so much more appealing than the one I used to play on my Atari homecomputer. Even though that was almost a spot-on conversion (including voice), there's just something about a real machine that you can't explain.

It's that whole bunch of PCB's and TTL chips (knowing your wrist-watch has more processing power today) is bringing you that fabulous game. It's the dead simple graphics with the robots and player so clearly built up out of pixels......you just have to love it....

I do want to look if I can improve the joystick though. Hitting the diagonals is still not "a breeze" which it needs to be if you want to get some serious hi-scoring.  I'm convinced that you can get higher scores with a better stick. I'm not talking about the top side of course.
I've been thinking of using a Suzo Inductive base. It would be cool as it keeps the same feel completely, yet will improve dramatically on the diagonals.

We'll see about that later though. My goal is to completely restore the machine this x-mas holiday. Not that it needs that much work but still, we all know how it goes, it's almost always more work than you think before you begin.
I will be at home with my son for quite some days because my wife has to work so that gives me some good time to spend on it. It's also now in the kitchen which is a much better place to work on the machine than in the gameroom.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »
We just came home from family x-mas visit so have been away for about 8 hours and to my shock I noticed I had left the Berzerk running. Luckily it was still running happily in attract mode :)
No fires or defective PCBs :D
Good test :)

Phew! - i bet your hart jumped when you saw it was running!
but- as you said - good test indeed!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
Yeah, I walked into the kitchen and saw a blueish glow and instantly realized what had happened ;)

Incidentally, we were at my sister-in-law and while there her dishwasher blew itself up ! I heard some weird noise from the kitchen and I could see the LED's on the panel go all crazy and crackling noises and then smoke !
Wow ! At least it shows, never run anything electrical when you're away (unless really necessary). This also reminds me about smoke detectors, because we have a timer on our dishwasher and we run it at night time (cheaper electricity) but what if this would happen then !?!?!?

OK, off topic, but I just want to say, turn off your machines when going away ! :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »
2) The Stern logo coin door sticker will need replacement after restoring the coin door. I found a Stern logo sticker at Phoenix arcades, but this is a different kind. Did you find any replacement ?

Solved:

Available here:
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/forsale/decals.html

Shipping would be a whopping 12 bucks for something light and tiny like this which seems a bit steep. Contacted the seller to see if that's correct. Three stooges, do we team up for one each ? Also, I definitly need to replace the buttons on my CP. I plan on ordering some stuff from Bob Roberts so if you guys need those buttons too (red and white long leaf buttons e-clip type) let me know (and if you need anything else).

But I'll ask around with some people in the pinball scene if they have them locally first...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:50:18 AM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 12:58:12 AM »
OK, no local source for those stickers. Ully and Michael, do we team up for the stickers and buttons ? Please PM me....

I also updated my Berzerk restoratoin thread on BYOAC forum:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97846.msg1046763#msg1046763

Check it out, replacement speaker selected and drawer board partially restored...

Inside the 3 Berzerks I recently found, there were also 3 envelopes and each contained a full set of documentation.

Apart from the schematics, instruction cards in various languages (English, German, French, Dutch) and a monitor schematic, there was also of course the manual.

However, I soon found out that the manual was nothing more than a bunch of photo copies of what looks like the concept for the actual manual.

The first thing (and maybe the biggest thing) to notice is that the "cover" is hand-drawn in a rough sketch style. Also, the text with the drawings are hand-written and the pages with texts look like they came from a typewriter.

Here's the cover of the concept manual:

Here's the cover of the "final" manual:

Also, the trouble-shooting section (explaining about the beeps) is only a very short list of possible causes, compared to the elaborate explanations on the version of the manual that I have found at several sources on the internet.

Although there is not much more (actually, less) info in this manual, I thought it would be interesting from an archival and collecting point of view.

The machines I found had relatively early serial nrs. (in the 2000 and 3000) so it looks like Stern put in some pre-production manuals with the early games. Maybe also because these were shipped to Europe ? (Transport time).

Anyway, I scanned it and here is the PDF:
http://files.arcadecontrols.com/details.php?image_id=3605&mode=search

Again, if you look for troubleshooting info and better quality, get the other manual here:
http://files.arcadecontrols.com/details.php?image_id=1229&mode=search

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 08:39:42 AM »
OK, no local source for those stickers. Ully and Michael, do we team up for the stickers and buttons ? Please PM me....

guess what ... I'M IN!!!  ;)

Check it out, replacement speaker selected and drawer board partially restored...

wonderful job on the drawer board. did you do that with sanding paper (which grit?) alone? any special treatment afterwords? mine will have to wait, i want to have the defender and the paperboy up and running by the end of the holidays.

regarding the speaker: i'm not sure yet if i'm going to replace that, because it's not an original part!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2009, 08:48:06 AM »
I´m in to!  ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2009, 09:06:32 AM »
i want to have the defender and the paperboy up and running by the end of the holidays.

[Off-topic mode on]

I cant wait for the documented reports ully  ;)

[Off-topic mode off]

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2009, 11:35:40 PM »

guess what ... I'M IN!!!  ;)

wonderful job on the drawer board. did you do that with sanding paper (which grit?) alone? any special treatment afterwords? mine will have to wait, i want to have the defender and the paperboy up and running by the end of the holidays.

regarding the speaker: i'm not sure yet if i'm going to replace that, because it's not an original part!

Yep a sanding disc that I just happened to have around. After that a "Brillo" wash/scrub sponge. And a lot of elbow grease :D

About the speaker, I guess it's just my thing. Guess you saw my speakers at home, nothing but the best sound (that I can afford) for me ! :D

I also replaced the speakers (well half of them, yet) on my SW cockpit.....

Maybe not original, but nobody will see it. But even more HEAR it ! :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »

Ahum ? Cough, cough !

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D